Illinois softball takes 2 victories at Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic

Junior+Utility+Abby+Ryniec+runs+toward+first+base++during+the+game+against+Parkland+on+Sept.+28.+
Eric Chiang
Junior Utility Abby Ryniec runs toward first base during the game against Parkland on Sept. 28.

Illinois softball (3-6, 0-0) took two games over the weekend at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.

Illinois faced tough competition this weekend with No. 21 California, Cal Poly, No. 19 UCLA and Hawaii on deck. Three of the four teams this weekend entered with winning records.

The weekend began with Illinois losing to California, 11-9. California struck first on the day, scoring on an Illinois error. Illinois fought back in the bottom of the inning, tying the game as senior utility player Abby Ryniec sent an RBI single into left field.

As Illinois went into the top of the second, California lit up the scoreboard with eight runs. California scored off of three separate pitchers during the inning. From that point Illinois had to try and force a comeback, falling just short after scoring three in the ninth, with the game ending on a fly out to left field.

The offense continued to thrive in a win over Cal Poly a day later as it put up 16 runs during the game. Graduate student outfielder Serena Starks and junior outfielder Stevie Meade started hot for Illinois, both reaching on base with back-to-back singles. Illinois rolled from there, building up its lead with a solo home run by graduate student outfielder Kelly Ryono.

Every Illinois starter reached base in the 16-1 victory over Cal Poly. After the Cal Poly win, Illinois faced UCLA in a preview of a future Big Ten matchup, as the Bruins join the conference next season. Illinois started hot again as Ryniec hit a double which led to a two-run lead for Illinois.

These were the only runs scored by Illinois, however, as UCLA scored the next 10 runs in the game. The game finished in five innings, with UCLA winning 10-2.

Hawaii was next up on the weekend slate for Illinois. Junior pitcher Lauren Wiles went five innings coming out of the bullpen, only giving up a run and three hits. Sophomore infielder Sydney Malott and freshman infielder Adisyn Caryl woke up the bats with Caryl having a one-out double to start the frame followed by a Malott single. Senior infielder Megan Ward and junior utility hitter Paige Berkmeyer hit back-to-back doubles to help Illinois go up 3-1 against Hawaii.

Illinois finished the game 6-2 and improved to 3-6 in the early goings of the year. Ryniec is currently on a seven-game hitting streak, which played a major part in this weekend’s victories. Malott has also played a major role and has made it on base in every game this season.

Illinois will head to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for the Purple and Gold Challenge for next weekend’s slate of games before its home opener against Missouri.

@Ebrewer1172