Illinois softball swept by Minnesota, looks for bounce-back series

Jacoby Banks-Hull
#30 Lauren Wiles pitches in a game against SIUE on March 27. Illinois would win the game 19-9 after 6 innings.

Head coach Tyra Perry and Illinois softball (13-19, 0-5) are searching for their first Big Ten season win as they travel to College Park to face Maryland.

The Illini did not have the most favorable record during its five-game home stretch, only winning one. Illinois missed an opportunity to earn two more wins at home against Indiana State after the cancellation of a doubleheader due to weather conditions.

“We don’t like doubleheaders, you know, because we are short-handed all around, so doubleheaders tax us a good bit,” Perry said. “We also don’t want to not be able to play the game.”

Illinois is currently 10-6 all-time against Maryland since Maryland joined the conference in 2014. Maryland comes into this series after dropping a series against Penn State despite giving Penn State their first Big Ten loss of the season.

Maryland swept Illinois the last time these two programs met in a series matchup, as Illinois was out-hit in that series, 20-4. The Illini will rely on junior utility player Paige Berkmeyer to help get the bats going against Maryland.

“I think we’re getting better in some areas but lacking in others, so they know it,” Perry said. “That’s kind of what the frustration is.”

Berkmeyer currently leads the team in batting average, hitting .364, and is second on the team in home runs, having batted in six on the year. Graduate student outfielder Kelly Ryono is the leader in the home run category, as she has hit seven on the season.

Maryland is currently sitting at .500 in conference play at 3-3, which puts them at seventh in the conference. Maryland will be looking toward graduate student first baseman Diamond Williams, who leads the team in batting average, hitting .354.

Williams also leads Maryland in home runs on the year, with 11 on the season; the next closest player is graduate student outfielder Mazie MacFarlane, who is second in both categories. She currently has a .341 batting average, with four home runs. 

Graduate student pitcher Courtney Wyche helped Maryland take one game from Penn State. She struck out 19 in the nine-inning win, currently the most in the NCAA.

The series begins Friday at 5 p.m., with game two following on Saturday at 1 p.m. and the final game on Sunday at 11 a.m. Big Ten Plus will stream all three games.

@ebrewer1172