Illinois volleyball returns to Champaign to host Michigan State in 2nd Big Ten matchup

Senior+outside+hitter+Raina+Terry+spikes+a+ball+during+the+game+against+Michigan+State+on+Sunday.+Terry+leads+the+way+in+kills.+
Thomas Cai
Senior outside hitter Raina Terry spikes a ball during the game against Michigan State on Sunday. Terry leads the way in kills.

Illinois women’s volleyball hosts the Michigan State Spartans on Sunday in Champaign, Illinois at Huff Hall at 1 p.m.

The Illini, led by head coach Chris Tamas currently hold a season record of 5-6 while the Spartans and head coach Leah Johnson hold a season record of 8-3.

The all-time series between the two programs leans toward the Illini, 55-28. During the last meeting last year in November, Illinois came out on top with a 3-1 scoreline over Michigan State.

The Spartans went 3-0 last weekend in Storrs, Connecticut, to win the 2023 Dog Pound Challenge hosted by UConn. Fifth-year middle blocker Amani McArthur was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week last week. She finished the weekend with 14 total blocks — four solo, 10 assisted — tied for first among all conference players and ranked second in blocks per set at 1.75.

The Illini opened Big Ten play in Bloomington, falling 3-1 to the Indiana Hoosiers on Wednesday night. Individually, senior outside hitter Raina Terry once again led the way in kills, securing 19 in the match. Graduate middle blocker Kennedy Collins also recorded double-figure kills as well, logging 11 while hitting .240. Additionally, sophomore setter Brooke Mosher added the seventh double-double of her career, recording 35 assists and 12 digs.

Collins ranks among the elite in Illinois women’s volleyball, collecting her 400th career block against UCF during Illinois’ final nonconference match of the season. Collins currently ranks No. 17 all-time for total blocks, and her 360 block assists are also No. 15 in the career records.

The Illini experienced one of its most successful seasons ever in 2018 under Tamas, who was named AVCA Northeast Region Coach of the Year. The Illini made the program’s fourth appearance in the NCAA national semifinals as the No. 3 overall seed in the tournament, succeeding in a 17-match win streak into the Final Four and finishing at No. 3 in the AVCA Coaches Poll. The team registered a 32-4 overall record and finished in second place in the Big Ten Conference with a 17-3 mark, with the 32 victories ranking tied for fourth-most in school history.

Despite losing to Indiana during the Big Ten season opener, the Illini won’t let that discourage them. With a very successful track record as a team, the players know how to bounce back and return even stronger.

Fans can look forward to supporting Illinois women’s volleyball on home turf this Sunday for a chance to see the Illini win against a Big Ten school.