Illinois beats Michigan in straight sets on senior night, Terry announces fifth year

Jack Larson
Senior outside hitter Raina Terry spikes in the first set against Ohio State on Nov. 15. Terry’s form continued as she led Saturday night against Michigan, accumulating 21 points and 17 kills.

Illinois volleyball (16-12, 11-7) took down the Michigan Wolverines (7-20, 5-13) in straight sets on Saturday in its last match at Huff Hall for the 2023 season. The seniors were honored for their contributions, with a special announcement from senior outside hitter Raina Terry at the end.

The senior made her announcement in a video played on the big board after the senior’s videos were done playing. In the video, Terry made an announcement that no one in the crowd expected her to make.

“I think I have one year left in me, so I’m back,” Terry said.

Head coach Chris Tamas downplayed the situation before the ceremony during the media interviews after the game.

“I know a little bit about that but she’s gotta make her decision when the time comes,” Tamas said.

Terry was a big force against the Wolverines tallying up 17 kills. She was the team leader in kills, also posting three aces in the match.

Fifth-year outside hitter Jessica Nunge was second on the team in kills having eight kills for the Illini. She was second on the team in aces, registering two for the Illini.

Redshirt freshman middle blocker Cari Bohm had a chip on her shoulder going against Michigan, being from Ann Arbor. Bohm put up six kills against Michigan.

“We were playing some consistent and good volleyball,” Bohm said. “I think we were keeping that up and as a team, everyone was contributing and everyone is doing their job well. We’re having fun.”

Redshirt sophomore Brooke Mosher had another big game offensively in the assist category. Mosher had 32 assists for the Illini.

Redshirt freshman outside hitter Amalia Simmons and senior outside hitter Kendall Murray both tied for the top spot in kills for the Wolverines. Both players had six kills against the Illini. The next closest in the kills category for the Wolverines was junior middle blocker Jacque Boney who had five on the night.

It was a multiple series of runs for the Illini that helped push them over the Wolverines. In the first set, the Illini earned a 5-0 run that began with Nunge at the service line. The second set saw the Illini grab a 4-0 run including an ace by Terry.

The final set saw the Illini go on a 4-0 run to start the set. The team also added another 3-0 run against the Wolverines. After the Wolverines fought back to only be down by three, the Illini went on another 3-0 run to extend their lead.

The next time the Illini play is on Friday against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. They will finish their season on Saturday against the Northwestern Wildcats in a rematch from earlier in the season.

Illinois’ meeting with Minnesota will be on B1G+ at 5:30 p.m., and fans can also listen on the radio on WDWS 93.9 FM and 1400 AM.

@EBrewer1172