Illinois volleyball gets set for Huff Hall match against Michigan

Illinois volleyball prepares to face Michigan for the first time this season on Saturday evening in Huff Hall.

After a thrilling five set victory over Ohio State, head coach Chris Tamas and the Illini prepare to host Michigan in their final home match of the season. On Wednesday night, Illinois fell behind 2-1 to the Buckeyes, but prevailed in the final sets to win the match and buffer their record to 15-12, 10-7 in conference play.

Leading offensively was senior outside hitter Raina Terry with 27 kills, fifth-year senior outside hitter Jessica Nunge with 13 kills and junior outside hitter Kayla Burbage with 11 kills. Sophomore setter Brooke Mosher had a career performance with 50 assists, 16 digs and seven aces.

“We know we have to win out these last games,” Terry said. “We were just going for it and I think everyone had the same mindset.”

Led by head coach Erin Virtue in her first season at the helm of the program, Michigan holds a 7-18 record, 5-11 against Big Ten opponents. As a former Illini, Virtue played with the 2003 Illinois squad and helped lead them to a Sweet 16 appearance.

With only one away win, the Wolverines struggle in road matches. Last weekend they beat Rutgers 3-1, but were swept by Penn State the game before. Michigan ranks last in the conference for team-hitting percentage at .179 and is 12th in kills per set with 11.8. However, the Wolverines shine at the service line and lead the Big Ten, hitting 1.84 aces per set.

Tamas carries a 4-4 record against the Wolverines, and the Illini own a 52-27 record in program history. Last year, Illinois beat Michigan on the road in four sets, with the opposition receiving AP poll votes at the time.

Fans can look forward to the final regular season Huff Hall volleyball match with the first hit scheduled for 8 p.m.