Illinois football looks for statement win against Nebraska

Tyler Courtney | The Daily Illin

Illinois’ Jihad Ward picks up a loose ball during the Illini’s 27-25 win over Middle Tennessee State at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 26.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The Illinois football team has lost many statement games during the past few seasons. The 2013 Chicago Homecoming game against Washington was one. Last season’s meetings with the Huskies and Nebraska and this season’s matchup against North Carolina were all ones. Saturday’s home game against Nebraska will be another statement game.

The Illini haven’t been competitive in any of these games — the closest was a 34-24 loss to Washington in 2013.

Head coach Bill Cubit didn’t shy away from his team’s lack of competitiveness when asked Monday about games against strong opponents. Cubit said he noticed that the players got too excited during the week and on gameday. The Illini were too “tightly wound” at the start of the game and lost all their energy when opponents converted on big plays.

Cubit said he knows that everyone on the team, including the coaching staff, has to be calm. Built-up emotion is never a problem, but too much can get in the way of the players executing the team’s gameplan.

“We have to do it the right way,” Cubit said. “Sometimes we spend too much emotion early during the week. You need to keep that thing up. The biggest thing you need to do is concentrate and focus on what you need to do to be better.”

One major reason for the lack of competiveness has been the offense’s inability to score. The average margin of defeat in those games is 25 and the most points the Illini have scored were the 24 against Washington in 2013.

The timing of the game is also a concern for the Illini. Wide receivers Mike Dudek and Justin Hardee remain out with injuries, while tight end Tyler White missed Saturday’s game against Middle Tennessee State because of a concussion. He participated in non-contact drills in practice this week, and his game status will be known when the injury report is released Thursday evening. Quarterback Wes Lunt and his receiving corps have struggled to remain on the same page and the offense is running a limited number of plays because of the lack of depth.

Nebraska’s secondary will present an opportunity to improve on the early season mistakes. The Huskers rank last in the Big Ten in pass defense and allow an average of 379.5 passing yards per game.

Saturday’s game will also be Lunt’s first stab at Nebraska — he was ruled out for last season’s game the morning of the game because of injury. Although it will be Lunt’s first test of Big Ten play being healthy, he said he’s more focused on fixing the offense’s issues.

“We’ve been doing a good job moving the ball,” Lunt said. “I think the biggest thing to focus on now is to put the ball in the end zone and complete drives.”

Illinois has been blown out in these types of games and Nebraska’s offense will pose the same threat. Quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. is a dual-threat quarterback who can hurt a defense on the ground and in the air — he’s thrown for 1,266 yards and run for 118 yards in four games this season.

The Illini defense has made improvements this season after it finished last in the Big Ten in most defensive categories in the past few seasons. Illinois’ total defense ranks seventh in the conference — 11th in rushing defense and sixth in passing defense.

Although Illinois’ three phases aren’t perfect, they are starting to take form. The Illini had a 3-1 record before last season’s matchup against the Cornhuskers and hold the same record going into Saturday’s game. Players feel like the team is taking shape, motivation they’ll try to use to win Saturday’s statement game.

“We have more responsibilities to take care of,” said defensive end Jihad Ward. “I think we get the picture. Last year I think we got the picture but we didn’t really look at it. I think we’re looking at the picture now.”

@mdwojak94