Sophomore Olivia Howell runs in the women's 1500 meter at the NCAA West Prelims in late May at College Station, Texas. Three Illini received All-America honors including Howell, at the NCAA Outdoor Championships this past weekend in Eugene, Oregon.

Three Illini earn All-America honors at NCAA Outdoor Championships

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer June 14, 2021

The Fighting Illini, along with the entire NCAA, had to stop all events and cancel all invitationals because of the global pandemic last season, which meant some athletes were not able to compete last...

Sophomore Olivia Howell runs in the distance piece of track and field during the May 16 Big Ten Track Outdoor Championships. Three players will be competing for Illinois in different events during the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Plater, Howell, Wells to represent Illinois in NCAA Outdoor Championships

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer June 8, 2021

The NCAA Outdoor Championships start its four-day competition on Wednesday in Eugene, Oregon. Illinois will have three athletes competing: Manning Plater in the hammer throw, Olivia Howell for the 1500m...

Howell, Wells, Plater earn spots in NCAA Outdoor Championships

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer May 30, 2021

The weather had plans for something other than the NCAA West Prelims in College Station, Texas because the tournament activities on Friday had to be postponed due to the lightning and rain, causing multiple...

Senior Zeke Clark swings at the tennis ball during a match against Norte Dame May 8. Senior Clark and Sophmore Montsi made their first time appearance at the NCAA Singles Tournament.

Illinois finishes singles NCAA campaign; Kovacevic, Clark close out final matches of career

By Enji Erdenekhuyag, Staff Writer May 26, 2021

Illinois men’s tennis had its standout season studded by three runs in the NCAA singles tournament. Siphosothando Montsi made his first appearance in the competition and so did Zeke Clark. The matches...

Graduate student Jonathan Wells makes a backwards leap over the high jump on Saturday at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships. The Illinois track and field team hopes to keep their pace amongst other schools in preparation for the NCAA West Prelims.

Illinois looks to solidify place among top teams at NCAA West Prelims

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer May 26, 2021

It is now late May, and the NCAA West Prelims is about to end the last week of the month. Illinois has trained and competed in Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, Arkansas, Indiana, Florida, Texas and Minnesota....

Robert Williams, Jason Thormo, Aman Thornton, and Kashief King stand on a podium with their 4x400 men's relay awards on Sunday at Demirjian Park. The Illinois men's and women's track and field teams set many personal records at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships.

Illini set personal records at Big Ten Outdoor Championships

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer May 17, 2021

After this past weekend’s Big Ten Championships at Demirjian Park, the Illini now have another two-week break before touching the track again. This past weekend, Illinois hosted the Big Ten Outdoor Championships,...

Junior Connor Artman leaps into the air during the long jump event at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays April 23. The Illinois track and field team will host the Big Ten Outdoor Championships this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Demirjian Park.

Illinois returns to Champaign for Big Ten Outdoor Championships

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer May 13, 2021

The Big Ten Outdoor Championships will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Demirjian Park in Champaign, meaning the Illini will be back at home again after also having the Big Ten Relays at home....

Redshirt sophomore Billy Matzek throws shot put at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays on April 23. The Illinois track & field team wraps up their regular-season with multiple accolades.

Illinois wraps up regular-season schedule with several individual accolades

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer May 1, 2021

With the weekend coming to an end, Illinois has won multiple events in every invite this year. The men and women's track & field teams are both having historic years, breaking records in multiple events....

Graduate student Jonathan Wells competes in the 100m hurdles at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays on April 23. The Illinois track and field team will head to Minnesota and Indiana for their final regular-season meets.

Illinois heads to Minnesota, Indiana for final regular-season meets

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 30, 2021

The more you practice and train, the better you become. The men’s and women’s track & field team have had a hard week's worth of training. Weather advisories can make things very difficult for...

Redshirt sophomore Kashief King competes in a long sprint event at Demirjian Park during the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays on Friday afternoon. The Illini track and field team got several first-place finishes.

Illinois gets several first-place finishes in first meet at new Demirjian Park facilities

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 24, 2021

The saying “there’s nothing better than being at home” has been around for decades. This weekend, that proved to be true, as the Illini took advantage of being at home for the Big Ten Relays.  With...

Redshirt senior Jon Davis crosses the finish line with arms raised in the Armory. The Illinois track and field team will compete at Demirjian Park this weekend for the first time.

Illini compete at recently completed Demirjian Park for first time

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 23, 2021

Week after week, the track and field team has traveled in rain and shine to compete at meets across the country. This weekend the competition comes to Illinois, as the Illini host the Big Ten Relays right...

Junior Bret Dannis jumps over a hurdle at their meet on Feb. 21. The team will have their next meet in Champaign on Friday.

Illinois finish strong in Indiana, Texas

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 19, 2021

This past weekend Illinois were split in half on Friday with the distance team back in Indiana and the field athletes, sprinters and relays in Texas for the Husker Big Ten two-day Invite.   The distance...

Load More Stories