Illini win seven events at home

Illini win seven events at home

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 15, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Track & Field, Track & Field, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

Illini compete at Texas A&M, Champaign On April 6, the Illini track and field team competed at The Reveille at Texas A&M University. The women’s track and field team had solid performances, including sophomore distance runner Nicki Cast finishing third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and ...

Illini continue outdoor season in California, Mississippi

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 2, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Sports Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illini track and field teams continued their strong outdoor start across the country Friday in Stanford, California, and Saturday at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi. The women’s and men’s 4x100-meter relay teams finished in first at Mississippi with times of 45.14 secon...

Track and field teams make outdoor debut at SIU

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 27, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illinois men’s track and field team competed at Southern Illinois University Friday and Saturday to begin the outdoor track season. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn and the distance medley relay team competed in the NCAA Indoor Championship March 8-9, while the rest of the team saw their indoor se...

Teams head to compete on big stage

Teams head to  compete on big stage

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 21, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illinois men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at Arkansas and Iowa State this past weekend. The distance group, throwers and women’s pole vaulters went to Ames, Iowa, while the sprints groups, middle distance groups and remaining field events competed at Arkansas. Women’s trac...

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 29, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

Men’s track and field: The No. 20-ranked Illinois men’s track and field team saw several personal bests in individual events during the team’s second and final home indoor meet, the Illini Invitational, on Saturday. Sophomore sprinter Jason Shannon set personal records in the 60-meter dash and th...

Jon Davis breaks four-minute mile after injury

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

January 28, 2019

Filed under Cross Country, Men's Sports, Sports, Sports Top Stories, Track & Field

Just over 500 Americans have broken four minutes in the mile, most entering this elite club by less than a second. Illinois’ Jon Davis has done it twice. It’s impossible to tell from the redshirt-sophomore’s lackadaisical demeanor, but Davis is an unstoppable force on the track and one of the f...

Multiple Illini athletes break personal records

January 23, 2019

Men's track and field: The Illinois men’s track and field team traveled to Iowa City this weekend to compete at the University of Iowa. The Illini finished in fifth place as a team, behind Iowa and Minnesota, but ahead of Purdue and Wisconsin. The Illini built off last week’s performance at the Illini ...

Men’s, women’s teams prepare for upcoming season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 17, 2019

Men’s track and field The Illinois men’s track and field team finished first out of five schools to start its season at the Illini Open, in Champaign, on Saturday. Last season, the Illini graduated David Kendziera, who won a silver medal in the 60-meter hurdles at the Big Ten Championships in 20...

Several Illini walk away with medals at Big Ten Championship

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

May 18, 2018

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Track & Field

Junior Jonathan Wells set a new school-record (2.26 meters) in the high jump competition this past weekend when he won the event at the 2018 Big Ten Outdoor Championships. Winning his second high jump title, and first outdoors, Wells is now the sixth Illini to win the gold medal at the outdoor Big Ten...

Illini seniors talk post grad plans

Illini seniors talk post grad plans

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

May 3, 2018

With commencement ceremonies and the Big Ten Championships just about a week away, the seniors on the Illini track and field team are entering their final weeks at Illinois. For some of the 18 graduating seniors, their career paths incorporate skills that were developed on the track team. For David Ken...

Illini finish third at Drake Relays

Illini finish third at Drake Relays

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

April 30, 2018

The Illinois men’s track and field team finished third overall in the 2018 HyVee Cup competition at the 109th Drake Relays. The Illini scored six points in three relay events, while senior David Kendziera led the team out of relay competition with a victory in the 400-meter hurdles. Scoring 18 p...

Siblings compete in season together

Siblings compete in season together

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

April 26, 2018

David Kendziera, a senior on the Illinois men’s track and field team, initially picked up track and cross country as a means to get himself ready for the mile-time trials in P.E. classes. It wasn’t until high school that he and Brenda, his younger sister who is sophomore on the University’s women’...

Next Page »