Illini win eight events amid Wisconsin road trip

Sophomore Olivia Howell competes in a relay race during a meet. Howell broke the Illinois record for fastest women's 1000m during the tri-meet against Wisconsin and Northwestern on Saturday.
January 16, 2021

After months of built-up anticipation, the Illini finally got to showcase a wide range of talent and athleticism in a trip up north to Madison, Wisconsin. In a tri-meet against rivals Wisconsin and Northwestern,...

Illinois athletics receives National Letters of Intent from dozens of athletes on Signing Day

The Illinois volleyball team huddles up in a match against Michigan on Nov. 1, 2019. The volleyball team was one of the many Illinois programs to have players sign National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
November 11, 2020

The NCAA’s national signing period for high school athletes of all sports except football began on Nov. 11. Today, dozens of athletes from across the country signed their National Letter of Intent to...

Cross country, track and field teams deal with postponed competition, possible season overlap

Women’s cross country and track head coach Sarah Haveman claps at a cross country meet,
September 15, 2020

As the Big Ten sports world continues to reel from the conference’s decision to postpone fall athletics in August, many coaches and players are dealing with the logistical issues raised by playing fall...

Illini finish indoor season before outdoor season canceled

Jon Davis runs on the Armory’s track for the one-mile run during the Illini Invitational.
March 21, 2020

The Illinois men's track team competed at the Big Ten Indoor Championships to wrap up its indoor season just before the conference canceled all spring sports. The Illini were just three weeks from their...

Wells finds athletic, academic success in Big Ten career

Senior Jonathan Wells clears the high jump bar during the Big Ten Championships in May 2015. Following six All-American recognitions, Wells reflects on the challenges amid his success.
March 9, 2020

Redshirt senior Jonathan Wells isn’t a stranger to athletic success during his time at Illinois. As a six-time All-American, he continues to reach milestones and break records even during his final season...

Wishing Wells: senior long-jumper proves to be cornerstone of Illini squad

Redshirt senior Jonathan Wells jumps during the first day of Big Ten Indoor Championships at the SPIRE Institute on Saturday. Wells won the long jump title, jumping 7.65 meters.
March 2, 2020

The men’s track and field team wrapped up the indoor season, placing 10th out of 11 programs at the Big Ten Indoor Championships in Geneva, Ohio, Saturday. Senior Jonathan Wells led the Illini on Friday...

Davis, Jazo capture individual titles at Alex Wilson Invitational

February 24, 2020

The Illinois men’s track and field team competed at the 2020 Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, on Saturday. All the events at this meet took place in the Loftus Sports Center...

Jonathan Wells dominates jumping events at Music City Challenge in Nashville

Senior Jonathan Wells clears the bar in high jump Friday. The team will head to Southbend, Indiana, to compete in the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame on Saturday.
February 17, 2020

The Illini men’s track and field team traveled to Nashville Friday and Saturday to compete in the Music City Challenge hosted by Vanderbilt.    The Music City Challenge took place at Vanderbilt’s...

Wells leads Illini at Husker Invitational

Sophomore sprinter Declan Rustay runs in the 60-meter dash at the Illini Invitational on Jan. 24. Illinois will travel to Nashville for the Music City Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
February 10, 2020

The men’s track and field team competed at the 2020 Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational at the University of Nebraska this weekend. Coming into the meet, the Illini were ranked No. 23, according to U.S....

Men’s track and field travels to Nebraska Invitational

Cooper Jazo pole vaults at the Illini Classic on Jan. 14, 2017. The men’s track and field team will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete in the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational this weekend.
February 6, 2020

The No. 21-ranked men’s track and field team will travel to Nebraska for the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational this weekend. The meet will begin on Friday at 4:30 p.m. at the Bob Devaney Sports Center...

Illini see individual progress at Indiana Relays

Jacob LaRocca clears 5.11m at theBig Ten Outdoor Championships at the University of Iowa on May 10.
February 3, 2020

The Illinois men’s track and field team traveled to Bloomington, Indiana, to partake in the Indiana University Relays, which hosted the University on Friday and Saturday. The relays took place at Indiana’s...

Team to compete at Indiana Relays Friday, Saturday

High jumper Jonathan Wells clears the bar during the Illini Invitational on Saturday at the Armory. Wells won the high jump title at the meet.
January 29, 2020

The Illinois men's track and field team will compete at the Indiana University Relays at the Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington, Indiana Friday and Saturday. At the two-day event, Illinois will...

Load more stories