Illinois falls to No. 20 Maryland at home

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 25, 2020

Ali Andrews led the Illini women’s basketball team (10-8, 1-6) with 20 points in a 79-60 loss against Maryland (15-4, 6-2) Thursday night at the State Farm Center. Freshman Kennedi Myles did not play due to a concussion. Illinois was off to a slow start, down 8-0, within the first two minutes. Maryla...

Women’s basketball begins season against No. 2 Maryland

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 22, 2020

After a 77-47 loss at Ohio State Sunday, the Illinois women’s basketball team (10-8, 1-6) begins the semester at the State Farm Center Thursday to play No. 20 Maryland (14-4, 5-2). The Maryland Terrapins are currently tied for second in the Big Ten alongside the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Illinois ha...

Illini lose momentum against Big Ten opponents

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 21, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team heads into the spring semester with a 10-8 record (1-6 in the Big Ten). After dropping the Big Ten opener to Northwestern, Illinois compiled a 1-5 record the rest of Winter Break. Illinois concluded 2019 with a 108-72 loss against Iowa in Iowa City. The Illini wer...

Illinois drops third-straight Big Ten opener to Northwestern

By The Daily Illini Sports Staff

December 28, 2019

Illinois hasn’t won a Big Ten season opener since 2016.  The Illini’s loss to the Northwestern Wildcats Saturday fueled the recent conference losing trend under third-year head coach Nancy Fahey. Since Fahey took over the program in 2017, the Illini have started each of their conference camp...

Illinois dominates Merrimack College

Illinois dominates Merrimack College

By Brendyn Jones, Staff writer

December 11, 2019

Freshman Kennedi Myles notched her fourth double-double of the season, as the Illinois women’s basketball team (7-2) hung on to secure a win against Merrimack College 75-72. Myles led all Illini scores and rebounders with 23 and 12 respectively, and her scoring output set a new season-high for the ...

Volleyball gets ready for NCAA tournament

By Brendyn Jones, Staff Writer

December 4, 2019

After a 16-13 regular season and finishing with a conference record of 11-9, the Illinois volleyball team is headed back to the NCAA tournament. Illinois will face No. 17-seed Utah in Provo, Utah, on Friday in the first round of the tournament. The team has made the tournament the last three seasons behind...

Illinois women’s basketball capitalizes on assists to beat Presbyterian

By Brendyn Jones, Staff Writer

December 2, 2019

The Illinois women’s basketball team (6-1) beat Presbyterian College (3-4) with five Illini scoring in double figures Saturday evening. The 71-52 win marked Illinois’ third victory in a row and sixth overall. The game was close only during the first quarter. The back-and-forth stopped when a layup b...

Illini fall to Redbirds in first loss of season 74-58

By Brendyn Jones, Staff Writer

November 18, 2019

The Illinois women’s basketball team suffered its first loss of the season and fell to 3-1 after hosting Illinois State on Saturday. The team was outscored by a total of 19 points in the second and third quarters, leading to a 74-58 loss. Illinois State seniors guard TeTe Maggett and Champaign nativ...

Holešínská, Peebles lead Illinois to defeat Austin Peay

By Brendyn Jones and Brendyn Jones

November 14, 2019

Freshman Jada Peebles and redshirt junior Petra Holešínská combined for 37 points as the Illinois women’s basketball team defeated Austin Peay 76-62. This marks the third win in a row for the Illini to start off the season. This game was determined by runs, with each team having both scoring drou...

Petra Holešínská bounces back from injury

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

November 14, 2019

Petra Holešínská’s basketball world was flipped upside down after an anterior cruciate ligament tear in practice sidelined her before the start of the 2018-19 season. The injury came after the redshirt junior carved out a niche role as a shooting specialist within head coach Nancy Fahey’s off...

Illinois hosts Austin Peay Wednesday

Illinois hosts Austin Peay Wednesday

By Brendyn Jones, Staff Writer

November 12, 2019

The Illinois women’s basketball team started it’s season 2-0 for the second consecutive year, after beating Chicago State and Holy Cross to start their 2019-2020 campaign. The Illini will look to make it three in a row when Austin Peay comes to State Farm Center on Wednesday. In its last game, I...

Illini women’s basketball wins in overtime battle

By Brendyn Jones, Staff writer

November 10, 2019

The Illinois women’s basketball team improves to 2-0 after fighting back from being down 16 in the third to seal their overtime victory against Holy Cross on Saturday. The game ended after one overtime period at a score of 78-75, with the Illinois offense being led by forward Ali Andrews as she poured...

Next Page »