Illini looking to the future on Senior day

By Miles Powers-Huang, Assistant sports editor

February 25, 2018

Filed under Basketball, Sports, Women's Sports

While the season has probably not quite gone the way Alex Wittinger thought it would in the win-loss column, the Illinois junior forward has had a breakout year, averaging 14 points and 9 rebounds. A few individual performances that stand out are her 18 point, 11 block, 10 rebound triple-double on Jan....

Wittinger’s career high not enough

Wittinger’s career high not enough

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff Writer

February 15, 2018

No matter how close the Illinois women’s basketball team tried to make the game against Ohio State on Tuesday, Buckeye senior guard Kelsey Mitchell, the Big Ten’s all-time leading scorer and NCAA all-time leader in made three-point shots, responded with timely shot after timely shot. While many...

Women’s basketball seaches for first Big Ten win

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

February 13, 2018

Silencing the thunder of Ohio State, senior guard Kelsey Mitchell might be the trick to picking up Illinois first conference win of the season. The Illinois women’s basketball team will host no. 16 Ohio State Tuesday night for the first time this season. So far, the Illini have come up empty handed in ...

Women’s basketball falls once again on the road

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

February 12, 2018

Illinois women’s basketball only has four regular season opportunities left to snap its 13-game losing streak. After falling to Indiana 70-54 Thursday, Illinois found itself with a conference record of 3-25 over the past two seasons. The Illini’s last conference win was against the Cornhuskers ...

Purdue made shots, Illinois didn’t

Purdue made shots, Illinois didn’t

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff writer

February 7, 2018

Filed under Basketball, Sports, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The old cliché in basketball after a team loss is "they made shots we didn’t," and while it is not the most original response, it accurately describes Illinois' 73-54 loss to Purdue (16-8, 7-3 in the Big Ten Conference) on Sunday. As Boilermakers’ guards Andreona Keys and Dominique Oden continually...

Illinois aiming to get first Big Ten win at Nebraska

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

February 1, 2018

The last time Illinois saw Nebraska,  junior forward Alex Wittinger put up a season-high 23 points, but the Illini saw their overall record dip below 500 for the first time this year, falling 80-72 at the State Farm Center. A lot can change in three weeks, especially in college basketball. But that c...

Holešínská, Andritsopoulou find their ways amidst American culture

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

January 31, 2018

Basketball has exploded into a phenomenon reaching far beyond the United States, just ask the members of the Illinois women’s basketball team. According to the Pew Research Group, basketball is the second-most viewed sport globally, which shouldn’t surprise many Americans given 30.8 million people tuned...

Illinois women’s basketball loses 10th straight

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff writer

January 30, 2018

The Illinois women's basketball team's biggest problem wasn't shooting or rebounding on Sunday. It was finding the smallest player on the court. Standing at just 5-foot-4, Wisconsin sophomore Suzanne Gilreath was not going to scare the Illini in the paint, but she continued to find space behind the...

Wittinger reaches 1,000 point threshold, records triple-double in loss to Penn State

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

January 25, 2018

Filed under Basketball, Showcase, Sports, Women's Sports

Illinois may have lost to Penn State Tuesday night, but for junior forward Alex Wittinger, the night marked a significant career milestone. Wittinger tallied her 1,000-career-point in the midst of the Illini’s eighth loss in the Big Ten. Penn State edged Illinois 68-59, and Illinois now sits last i...

Women’s basketball continues losing streak

By Meghan Rest, Staff writer

January 22, 2018

Illinois is still chasing a win in the Big Ten after falling to No. 19 Michigan 42-86. After eight straight losses in the conference, Illinois is now 0-7 in the Big Ten and moves to 9-12 overall. Illinois hasn’t seen much success in the Big Ten. This was no different Saturday evening when the Illin...

Illini struggle down stretch, fall to Spartans 67-55

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff Writer

January 17, 2018

Filed under Basketball, Showcase, Sports, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s basketball team’s early struggles in conference play have turned them into the underdog on most nights. However, on Tuesday night, it was Michigan State who had to play from behind, as the Spartans responded from an early deficit to stroll to a 67-55 victory, moving the Spartans...

Nebraska fends off Illini late

Nebraska fends off Illini late

By Meghan Rest, Staff Writer

January 16, 2018

The Illinois women’s basketball team is still looking for a win in the Big Ten. After coming up empty handed in their first four conference contests, the Huskers stuffed the Illini at home on Wednesday in an 80-72  contest. Illinois now shifts to a losing record of 9-10 and is tied with Wisconsin for last plac...

Next Page »