Women’s Basketball Player Arieal Scott Leaves Team

By JJ Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

October 1, 2019

Illini sophomore Arieal Scott will not be a member of the Illinois women’s basketball team due to health and wellness reasons this coming season, according to an announcement per fightingillini.com in August.  According to the site, Scott was approved for a medical non-counter waiver, meaning she...

Illinois’ defeat wraps up season

Illinois’ defeat wraps up season

By JJ Kim, Staff writer

March 11, 2019

Following its first-round loss in the Big Ten tournament, the Illinois women’s basketball team finished the season with a 10-20 record including a 2-16 conference record. Another last place finish isn’t what the Illini looked to accomplish during the second season under head coach Nancy Fahey, but...

Illini have high hopes for game against Boilermakers

March 6, 2019

Illinois is set to take on Purdue in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Wednesday afternoon in Indianapolis. The Illini are the No. 14 seed, finishing the regular season with a 2-16 conference record, but the team believes they have just as good of a shot at winning as their Big Ten foes. While...

Illinois finishes off regular season with loss to Maryland

By JJ Kim, Staff writer

March 4, 2019

No. 8 Maryland took down Illinois on Saturday 71-62. With the win against the Illini, their second of the season, the Terrapins clinched the Big Ten title. For  Illinois, it was the final game to cap off its season under head coach Nancy Fahey. Senior Alex Wittinger came into the game three blocks shy...

Seniors reflect on years as Illini

Seniors reflect on years as Illini

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff Writer

February 28, 2019

Between playing at Parkland College, experiencing a coaching change and living through three straight years with single-digit wins, Illinois’ seniors have been through it all. When they got to campus as freshmen, the State Farm Center was being renovated, and seniors Alex Wittinger and Jaelyne Kirkp...

Illini celebrate senior night but fail to pick up win

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff writer

February 26, 2019

Sunday afternoon saw an emotional battle for Illinois as they sought revenge on Penn State in light of the team’s senior night. The Illini hoped for a final home win for seniors Alex Wittinger and Jaelyne Kirkpatrick as well as graduate transfer Sarah Shewan, but ultimately fell 76-65. After Shewan a...

Women’s basketball drops second matchup to Wisconsin

By Gabby Hadjuk, Staff writer

February 22, 2019

In their first meeting a couple weeks ago, Illinois closed out Wisconsin at State Farm Center for its second Big Ten victory but on Wednesday night, Wisconsin had its revenge on the Illini with a 75-67 win. In what was another close battle between the bottom of the Big Ten, both teams put up high...

Illini hope to win against Badgers Wednesday

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff writer

February 20, 2019

Less than three weeks ago, Illinois snapped a nine-game losing streak, earning its second Big Ten win of the season against Wisconsin. Now on a two-game losing streak, the Illini will head to Madison on Wednesday night in an attempt to complete the sweep. Both teams suffered losses on Sunday, with Ill...

Illinois hopes to continue winning streak against Iowa

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff Writer

February 14, 2019

In a battle at the bottom of the Big Ten, Illinois women’s basketball defeated Wisconsin 78-68 at home on Sunday to earn its second Big Ten win of the season. The Illini will now head to Iowa City on a high note instead of a 10-game losing streak to take on the No. 14 Hawkeyes this Thursday. After...

Wittinger balances playing on team, school

By JJ Kim, Staff writer

February 14, 2019

Following another hard- fought game, senior forward Alex Wittinger headed to the locker room to call her father. He was her first coach and is still a key figure in her life, always going over the game and discussing what adjustments to make going forward. After a frustrating loss, Wittinger has to decomp...

Women’s basketball gets major win over Badgers

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff Writer

February 12, 2019

The Illinois women’s basketball team defeated Wisconsin 78-68 Sunday, snapping a nine-game losing streak and winning their second Big Ten contest this season. Thanks to senior Alex Wittinger’s 24 points and 12 boards, the Illini fought off a tough Badger team at the State Farm Center. “It’s...

Bezhanishvili: A basketball love story

Bezhanishvili: A basketball love story

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

February 11, 2019

Giorgi Bezhanishvili drives a Lambo. Turning heads around campus, the breakout freshman big man is rolling high and mighty. To be clear, the heads are turned due to the oversized 7-foot frame waving side-to-side on a black-bike: his Lambo. Bezhanishvili does not hesitate to talk about his prized p...

Next Page »