Myles looks to improve in second year

Sophomore forward Kennedi Myles advances the ball down the court during the game against Wisconsin on Sunday. The Illini lost the game 73-64.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

October 22, 2020

Sophomore forward Kennedi Myles is coming off of a solid freshman campaign for the Illinois women’s basketball team. In her first season, Myles set the team’s freshman record for double-doubles and finished third on the team in scoring. Unfortunately for the Illini, those numbers did not help the ...

Fahey, Illini start off practices with optimism

Junior guard J-Naya Ephraim dribbles past teammate Lyric Robins during practice on Thursday.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

October 17, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team had its first day of official practice on Wednesday. Just one day in, head coach Nancy Fahey can already tell that her team will be quite different than the Illini team from a season ago.  After struggling with size in 2019, the Illini looked primed to fare be...

Rubin brings post threat, experience to Illini

Redshirt junior Eva Rubin flexes with a basketball. Rubin transferred to Illinois from Arizona State in December 2019.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

October 12, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team struggled to compete in the paint a season ago, ranking last in the Big Ten in rebounding margin and scoring inside the arc. Head coach Nancy Fahey and the Illini are hoping Eva Rubin is the answer to the Illini’s interior woes. “She’s a stopper at the basket that’s ...

Illini get new backcourt following departure of two starters

Junior J-Naya Ephraim waits as an opposing player approaches with the ball during the game against Ohio State on Feb. 6. The Illini lost six players the previous season, forcing head coach Nancy Fahey to fill those gaps.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

October 5, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team lost six players from a season ago. Most notably, the departure of the Illini’s starting backcourt, Brandi Beasley and Petra Holešínská, created a big hole in the upcoming team’s starting lineup. Head coach Nancy Fahey does not think she needs to replace...

Early ESPN rankings show tough road for Illini

Sophomore Jeanae Terry high-fives a teammate during the game against Ohio State on Feb. 6. Head coach Nancy Fahey and the Illini did not make ESPN’s Way-Too-Early rankings for the 2020-2021 season.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

October 1, 2020

After an abrupt end last spring, women’s college basketball is around the corner, and ESPN released their Way-Too-Early rankings for the 2020-2021 season. Although head coach Nancy Fahey and her Illini didn’t crack the list, the ranking shows what could be in store for the fourth-year head coach...

Fahey, Illini bring in three freshmen for 2020 season

Illinois head coach Nancy Fahey talks to junior guard J-Naya Ephraim during the game against Nebraska at State Farm Center on Jan. 17, 2019. Fahey recently recruited three freshmen to play in the upcoming season.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

September 16, 2020

The women’s basketball team is in the midst of a roster overhaul. After losing three of the team’s top four scorers from a season ago, head coach Nancy Fahey is going to have to figure out how this roster can compensate for the departures. She’ll have to start by looking at her three freshmen:...

Illini women’s basketball returns to Champaign

Senior Brandi Beasley drives past a defender during the match against Indiana on Feb. 13 at State Farm Center.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

July 10, 2020

As Illinois moves into Phase 4 of COVID-19 recovery, the Illini teams have begun to make their way back to campus, and the women’s basketball team has started to ease into practice over the last two weeks. Head coach Nancy Fahey said the team has been communicating over the last several months via Z...

Merritt, Skeete prepare for new roles with Illini

Newly hired Women's Basketball Assistant Coach Scott Merritt poses for a professional headshot.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

June 30, 2020

In her three years at the University of Illinois, women’s basketball head coach Nancy Fahey worked with the same assistants that were there when she first came to Champaign. Once this past season wrapped up, Fahey changed up the coaching staff for the first time in her tenure at Illinois. Fahey relieved form...

Best Illini uniforms: Blue jerseys top 2019-2020 selections

Guard Brandi Beasley dribbles the ball during the Illinois' game against Michigan State at State Farm Center on Feb. 26.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 7, 2020

Editors note: In a previous version of this article, the images shown were the women's volleyball uniforms and not the women's basketball uniforms. The Daily Illini regrets this error. College teams often switch up jerseys. Sometimes, the teams get creative with designs, like Notre Dame’s lime gre...

Team of the century: Illini women’s basketball go dancing in 2003

Team of the century: Illini women's basketball go dancing in 2003

By Claire O, Staff Writer

May 2, 2020

When the Illinois women’s basketball team last made the NCAA tournament, the iPhone was still four years away from being released to the public. The year was 2003, and the team went to the WNIT quarterfinals the year before, ending the season on a loss to Big Ten rival Michigan State at Assembly Ha...

All-time starting five honors women’s hoops stars of past

Center Jenna Smith (13) attempts a shot during the game against Michigan State at Assembly Hall on Feb. 5.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

April 22, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team has struggled over the last several seasons. However, the program has had its success in the past in large part because Illinois has had some great players in their history. Here are Illinois’s all-time starting five. G Jenny Johnson Jenny Johnson was a four...

Illinois hires another Marquette coach

Illinois Head Coach Nancy Fahey shouts at her team from the sideline during the game against Nebraska at State Farm Center on Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019. The Illini lost 77-67.

By Claire O, Staff Writer

April 16, 2020

Illinois women’s basketball head coach Nancy Fahey has hired a second Marquette coach, Vernette Skeete, this offseason after the team announced the hire of Scott Merritt, a former Marquette staffer on March 26. Fahey, who was hired in 2017 and had not made many coaching changes to begin her tenure a...

Next Page »