Sophomore Jeanae Terry shoots the ball during the game against Valparaiso Dec. 2. Terry recently announced she is transferring to Purdue.

Former Illinois guard Jeanae Terry transfers to Purdue

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor April 23, 2021

Former Illini sophomore Jeanae Terry has transferred to Purdue, according to a social media post Wednesday. She is one of four women's hoops players to leave Illinois after last season, with the group...

Head women’s basketball coach Nancy Fahey talks to her team during a timeout in a game against Valparaiso on Dec. 2. The NCAA has been failing to equally support women’s sports compared to men’s sports.

Column | All talk, no walk: NCAA, member schools fail to support women’s sports

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Video Editor April 5, 2021

Sports often are a mirror of society. The wage gap persists, and, according to the Center for American Progress, for every dollar a white man makes, Asian women make 90 cents, white women make 79 cents,...

Kennedi Myles calls for the ball from J-Naya Ephraim Dec. 2 when Illinois faced Valparaiso. Both players have chosen to play elsewhere next season, with Myles already announcing her decision to transfer to Marquette.

Myles transfers to Marquette, three other Illini enter transfer portal

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor April 1, 2021

The Illinois women's basketball team is undergoing major personnel changes, with four former players currently in the transfer portal and two seniors departing after they graduate in May. Sophomore...

Sophomore Kennedi Myles looks to shoot during game against Northwestern March 10. Though the team suffered many losses this season, the Illini hope to enter the Big Ten Tournament with a higher seed next year.

Women’s basketball season in review: Illinois gains momentum too late in season

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Video Editor March 22, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team finished the regular season 4-17 before going 1-1 in the Big Ten tournament. Defeating Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament was head coach Nancy Fahey’s first Big...

Northwestern eliminates Illinois in second round of Big Ten Tournament

By Nithin Reddy, Assistant Video Editor March 10, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball season has come to an end with a record of 5-18 after losing to Northwestern, 67-42. A rough shooting performance in the first half gave Illinois a deficit too large...

Sophomore Kennedi Myles guards an opponent during the game against Wisconsin on Tuesday. Illinois won the game 67-42.

Illinois takes down Wisconsin for Fahey’s first Big Ten Tournament win

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer March 9, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team blew out Wisconsin, 67-42, Tuesday in the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis. Freshman guard Aaliyah Nye scored a career-high 17 points, and sophomore forward Kennedi...

Junior J-Naya Ephraim pushes forward towards the basket during the game against Northwestern on Feb. 24. The Illini will play Northwestern again if they beat Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament.

Big Ten tournament preview: 12-seed Illinois prepares for postseason competition

By Nithin Reddy, Assistant Video Editor March 9, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team sits at the number 12 seed heading into the Big Ten tournament and will face Wisconsin in its first-round matchup. This year will look a little different, as only...

Aaliyah McQueen (21) cheers on Aaliyah Nye (32) as she shoots a 3-pointer at State Farm Center on Jan. 25 against Nebraska. Nye and McQueen share a first name, are from Michigan and have a great bond tied together by basketball.

McQueen, Nye share more than a first name

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer March 8, 2021

Two freshmen on the Illinois women’s basketball team share the first name Aaliyah. Further, Aaliyah McQueen and Aaliyah Nye also have a lot more in common. They’re both from Michigan. Nye and McQueen...

Sophomore Solape Amusan shoots during the game against Minnesota on Friday. The Illini won the game 72-64.

Offense leads Illinois to senior night victory

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer March 6, 2021

In their final game of the regular season, the Illinois women’s basketball team defeated Minnesota 72-64.  The Illini offense was clicking throughout the game, in large part because of their ability...

Sophomore Jada Peebles pushes down the court during the game against Purdue on Sunday. The Illinois women's basketball team will play against Minnesota today.

Illini look to finish regular season on high note against Golden Gophers

By Nithin Reddy, Assistant Video Editor March 5, 2021

Heading into Senior Night, the Illinois women’s basketball team looks to end its season with a win against Minnesota. This team is fairly young with no senior starters, and as a result, only two players...

Freshman Aaliyah Nye defends during the game against Penn State on Sunday. Illinois lost the game 70-66.

Illini lose to Boilermakers despite fourth-quarter comeback

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer February 28, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team lost to Purdue, 70-66, Sunday in West Lafayette, Indiana. Sophomore guard Jada Peebles led the Illini with 13 points, while Brooke Moore led Purdue with 17 points. Illinois...

Sophomore Jada Peebles goes for a layup during the game against Northwestern on Thursday. The Illini will face Purdue tomorrow in West Lafayette.

Illini look to sweep Purdue in road finale

By Claire O, Staff Writer February 27, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team is heading to Purdue for the last road game of the regular season. Tip-off is set in West Lafayette for 1 p.m. Central Time on Big Ten Network+. In the first game...

Load More Stories