Illini head to Northwestern after 11-day break

Redshirt Junior center Eva Rubin goes for a layup during the game against Iowa on Jan. 3.
January 21, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team will take on Northwestern Wednesday in Evanston. The Illini are in the midst of an 11-day layoff, due to a COVID-19 outbreak in Michigan State’s program resulting...

Big Ten hoops update: Conference deals with several postponements, paused programs

Senior Trent Frazier drives forward during the game against Nebraska on Feb. 24, 2020.
January 15, 2021

Following losses over the weekend, both the Illinois men's and women's basketball games scheduled this week were postponed due to COVID-related issues within their respective opponents' programs. Though...

Illini deal with third COVID-related postponement

Sophomore Jada Peebles speaks to her teammates during the women's basketball game against Valparaiso on Dec. 2, 2020. Their upcoming game against Michigan State has been postponed due to COVID-19 concerns.
January 14, 2021

On Wednesday night the upcoming Illinois women’s basketball game against Michigan State was postponed due to “COVID-19-related concerns within the Spartans program,” according to a team press release....

Shooting woes slow down Illini in 70-50 loss to Michigan

J-Naya Ephraim drives to the basketball during Illinois' game at Michigan Sunday. The Illini fell 70-50
January 10, 2021

Coming off three straight double-digit losses, the Illini aimed for a fast start to avoid a similar fate.  About midway through the first quarter, the Illini weren’t intimidated by the undefeated...

Illini continue on losing streak, fall to Ohio State 78-55

Jada Peebles shoots a three during Illinois' game against Ohio State on Thursday. The Illini fell 78-55.
January 7, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team fell to Ohio State 78-55. on Thursday evening. The Illini were heavy underdogs heading into the game as they are winless in conference play and were going up against...

Illinois hopes to snap losing streak against No. 16 Ohio State

Members of the Illinois Women's basketball team huddle up during the game against Valparaiso on Dec. 2.
January 7, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team will take on the No. 16 Ohio State Buckeyes Thursday evening. The Illini are in the midst of a three-game losing streak that began at the start of Big Ten play. Due...

Adjusting to life in America is not always easy for international athletes

Junior Geovana Lopes poses for a headshot.
January 7, 2021

Most college basketball players come from around the country.  Their stories may be different, but they have most of the same problems that any other students might have: how to deal with being away from...

Illinois falls to Iowa at home, remains winless in Big Ten play

Lyric Robins dribbles the ball in Illinois' game against Iowa on Sunday.
January 3, 2021

The Illinois women’s basketball team fell to the Iowa Hawkeyes 107-68. on Sunday afternoon. The Illini are now on a three-game losing streak with a combined deficit of 68 points. After the game, head...

Illinois drops first game in weeks at Indiana 79-56

Jeanae Terry dribbles against Valparaiso on Dec. 2.
December 31, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team lost to Indiana 79-56 on Thursday. The Illini went with a different look against the Indiana Hoosiers, starting senior forward Lyric Robbins in place of junior guard...

Illinois looks to pull off upset win at Indiana in final game of 2020

The Illinois women's basketball team comes together during the game against Valparaiso on Dec. 2.
December 31, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team will take on No. 20 Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington after a three-week hiatus due to two postponements following coronavirus outbreaks within the Michigan and Southern...

Illinois drops close Big Ten opener at Nebraska 78-72

Jada Peebles and Geovana Lopes get set on defense in Illinois' game against Nebraska on Thursday. The Illini fell  78-72.
December 10, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team kicked off Big Ten play with a loss to Nebraska 78-72. While the Illini kept it tight until the very end, head coach Nancy Fahey knew exactly what was responsible...

Illinois opens up Big Ten campaign on the road against Nebraska

Sophomore Jeanae Terry shoots the ball during the game against Valparaiso on Dec. 2.
December 9, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team will take on Nebraska Thursday to open up their Big Ten schedule. The team is coming off of a close three-point win over Omaha, with sophomore guard Jada Peebles...

Load more stories