Best Illini uniforms: Blue jerseys top 2019-2020 selections

Guard Brandi Beasley dribbles the ball during the Illinois' game against Michigan State at State Farm Center on Feb. 26.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 7, 2020

Editors note: In a previous version of this article, the images shown were the women's volleyball uniforms and not the women's basketball uniforms. The Daily Illini regrets this error. College teams often switch up jerseys. Sometimes, the teams get creative with designs, like Notre Dame’s lime gre...

Team of the century: Illini women’s basketball go dancing in 2003

Team of the century: Illini women's basketball go dancing in 2003

By Claire O, Staff Writer

May 2, 2020

When the Illinois women’s basketball team last made the NCAA tournament, the iPhone was still four years away from being released to the public. The year was 2003, and the team went to the WNIT quarterfinals the year before, ending the season on a loss to Big Ten rival Michigan State at Assembly Ha...

All-time starting five honors women’s hoops stars of past

Center Jenna Smith (13) attempts a shot during the game against Michigan State at Assembly Hall on Feb. 5.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

April 22, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team has struggled over the last several seasons. However, the program has had its success in the past in large part because Illinois has had some great players in their history. Here are Illinois’s all-time starting five. G Jenny Johnson Jenny Johnson was a four...

Illinois hires another Marquette coach

Illinois Head Coach Nancy Fahey shouts at her team from the sideline during the game against Nebraska at State Farm Center on Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019. The Illini lost 77-67.

By Claire O, Staff Writer

April 16, 2020

Illinois women’s basketball head coach Nancy Fahey has hired a second Marquette coach, Vernette Skeete, this offseason after the team announced the hire of Scott Merritt, a former Marquette staffer on March 26. Fahey, who was hired in 2017 and had not made many coaching changes to begin her tenure a...

Illinois’ leading scorer transfers to North Carolina

Junior Guard Petra Holešínská speeds around a defender during the match against Indiana on Feb. 13 at State Farm Center. The Illini lost 54-59.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

April 4, 2020

Former Illinois women’s basketball player Petra Holešínská officially announced via her Instagram and Twitter that she will transfer to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The redshirt junior guard previously announced on March 11 that she would be leaving Illinois but was still in...

Illini of the season: Bright spots from a tough year

Freshman Forward Kennedi Myles advances down the court during the match against Michigan State on Feb. 26.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

April 2, 2020

The Illinois women’s basketball team once again struggled. For the seventh straight year, the Illini failed to reach .500 on the season, and Illinois won just two games in conference play. With that said, the Illini had some great individual performances this season. MVP: Petra Holešínská With Pe...

Illini women’s basketball hires new assistant coach

Illinois Women's Basketball Coach Nancy Fahey holds her arms out in frustration during the match against Austin Peay on Nov. 13, 2019.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

March 31, 2020

Illinois women’s basketball head coach Nancy Fahey hired a new assistant coach, Scott Merritt, last week. Merritt replaced LaKale Malone, who’d been coaching at Illinois since 2012. Malone has not been introduced as a coach at another school yet. Merritt was a starter at Marquette in 2003, per Illino...

Holešínská announces transfer from Illinois

Petra Holešínská drives from the three-point line against Indiana on Feb. 13. The Illini fell to the Hoosiers 59-54

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

March 15, 2020

Petra Holešínská has announced she is transferring from the Illinois women's basketball program. The redshirt junior guard announced her decision on Wednesday via her personal Instagram and Twitter account. In her tweet, Holešínská thanked the University for her four years. “(The University) tur...

Illini start strong, wither in Big Ten play

The Illini join in a huddle during their game against Indiana on Feb. 13. Illinois lost the game 59-54.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

March 14, 2020

The women’s basketball team’s season came to a close March 4 at the Big Ten tournament. The Illini bounced out of the tournament with a 71-55 loss to the Wisconsin Badgers. In a season riddled with Big Ten struggles and team injuries, there were some high points. Illinois began the season on a positiv...

NCAA announces March Madness basketball tournament cancellation

An image of the official statement from the NCAA announcing the cancellation of Division one basketball tournaments.

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff Writer

March 12, 2020

The NCAA officially canceled both Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments. NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors announced the cancellation in a statement on Thursday afternoon.  The NCAA sites the ongoing COVID-19 public health threat as its cause for the cancell...

National basketball tournaments to be played without fans NCAA announces Wednesday

The NCAA released a statement on Twitter regarding the outbreak of COVID-19 on March 11.

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

March 11, 2020

The men's and women's NCAA Tournaments will be played without fans, the NCAA announced Wednesday, in response to growing concerns over the coronavirus. Only essential staff, coaches and limited family members will be able to attend this year's tournaments. Read More »...

Wisconsin seals Illinois women’s hoops’ season in Big Ten Tournament first round

Head women's basketball coach Nancy Fahey talks with the Illini during a break at State Farm Center as Illinois faced off against Indiana on February 13. Illinois' season was sealed during the first round of the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis Wednesday afternoon. The Illini fell to the Wisconsin Badgers 71-55.

By Claire O, Staff Writer

March 5, 2020

Senior forward Ali Andrews led the Illini with 15 points as Wisconsin defeated Illinois, 71-55, Wednesday at the Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis. Illinois had played Wisconsin once previously this season, losing, 73-64, in Champaign on February 2. The two teams played similarly in the first, with ...

Next Page »