Junior Abigail Cabush competes in a butterfly event during competition. Cabush has been named the Illini of the Week after solid personal performances this weekend in the Big Ten Championships.

Illini of the Week: Cabush etches name into history books at Big Ten Championships

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer March 4, 2021

Everything about the world was up in the air. Coaches were fighting to keep their team’s spirits up, and athletes were training without any indication of when they would be able to compete again. Without...

Junior Abigail Cabush prepares to dive in during a relay race at competition. The Illinois swim and dive team placed 12th at the Big Ten Championships this week.

Illini make history at Big Ten Championships

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer March 1, 2021

The Illini swim and dive team placed 12th in the 2021 Big Ten Championships and finished with 177 points, which was spread out throughout five days of action. This playoff battle featured the most personal...

Senior Gabrielle Loeck swims during practice on Tuesday. Illinois will compete in the Big Ten Championships starting Tuesday.

Illini seniors prepare to say goodbye

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer February 22, 2021

With the Illini swim & dive team preparing for the 2021 Big Ten Championships, their playoff competition marks the end of a season that can only be described as one of a kind. COVID-19 protocols...

Sophomore Hannah Aegerter and Junior Abigail Cabush prepare to dive from their blocks during the a double dual meet against Wisconsin and Northwestern on Saturday.

Illini struggle in dual loss to Northwestern, Wisconsin

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer February 6, 2021

The Illini Women’s Swim and Dive’s record currently stands at 1-3 after losing their dual meet against Wisconsin, 57-243, and Northwestern, 49-251.  The team traveled to Madison, Wisconsin,...

Senior Jimena Martinez performs the butterfly stroke during competition. The Illinois swim and dive team will travel to Madison, Wisconsin this weekend to attend a tri-meet against Wisconsin and Northwestern

Illini look to carry momentum into tri-meet against Wisconsin, Northwestern

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer February 5, 2021

The Illini’s women's swim and dive team will travel to Madison, Wisconsin, this weekend to face off against Wisconsin and Northwestern. The Illini’s record currently stands at 1-1 after defeating...

The Illini swim & dive team finishes a huddle during the 2020 Big Ten Championships on Feb. 26. Assistant coach Elliott McGill has helped the team keep morale up during this shortened season.

Finding your balance: Assistant swim coach Elliott McGill guides team during unusual season

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer February 1, 2021

This abbreviated 2021 season is certainly the first of its kind for many Division I sports. There have been adjustments to the way sports compete this season to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The...

Senior Jimena Martinez swims freestyle during the meet against Nebraska on Saturday.

Strong performances push Illini past Cornhuskers for first win of season

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer January 23, 2021

The Illini women’s swimming and diving team defeated Nebraska, 164-136, their first victory over the Cornhuskers in nearly six years. The Illini started off strong in the first event of the meet,...

Sophomore Isabelle Guerra competes at the meet against Purdue on Jan. 16.

Illinois takes on Nebraska, looks to snap five-meet losing streak

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer January 22, 2021

The Illini women’s swim and dive team will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to face off with the Cornhuskers on Saturday. The meet is scheduled for 11 a.m. Central Time at Nebraska’s Devaney Center Natatorium. Both...

Junior Ashley Cabush waits in the water after one of her races during the meet against Purdue on Saturday. Cabush placed first in two of her events.

Illini fall to Boilermakers despite key performances

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer January 17, 2021

After nearly 11 months, the Illini women’s swim and dive team has finally returned to competition and faced off against Big Ten rival Purdue. This weekend, the team traveled to West Lafayette,...

Women’s swimming head coach Sue Novitsky hugs senior swimmer Gabriele Serniute during Senior Day on Jan. 26, 2019. Novitsky felt shocked upon hearing about Iowa’s program cuts.

Swim and dive coach reacts to Iowa’s program cuts

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer September 17, 2020

On Aug. 21, the University of Iowa’s President, Bruce Herald, and Director of Athletics, Gary Barta, announced in an open letter to the university that four varsity sports programs would be cut due to...

Former Illinois diver Ling Kuhn readies herself before an attempt during the match against Indiana State on Oct. 13, 2017.

Alumni catch-up: Kuhn looks back at historic career

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer May 4, 2020

Former swim and dive athlete Ling Kuhn became the first Illini to make it to the NCAA Championships for platform diving. Kuhn is now one year out of college and is settling into her life as an...

Sophomore Kaylee Heimes readies herself on the starting block during a swim meet.

Heimes finds success in, out of pool

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer April 17, 2020

Illinois swim and dive sophomore Kaylee Heimes used to be scared of tornadoes when she was younger. Instead of continuing to be afraid of them, Heimes turned her fear into research to learn why tornadoes...

Load More Stories