Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

March 25, 2019

Illinois alum Sabine Taaffe was the last women’s diver to make it to the NCAA Championship in 1992. For the first time since then, senior Ling Kuhn had the honor of representing the Illini on the diving platform at the 2019 NCAA Championship. When she qualified in 1992, Taaffe finished 10th in three-met...

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

February 4, 2019

While it’s an emotional time for many of the Illini swimming and diving seniors who just recently competed in their senior day meet, Ling Kuhn couldn’t be happier with where her time at Illinois has brought her. Kuhn, a senior from Bloomington, Illinois, has been swimming since she was in first gr...

Senior season for Illini swimmer Serniute coming together

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

December 6, 2018

Illinois swimmer Gabriele Serniute believes inspiration comes from just about anything, but it presents itself in different ways. The senior can attest to this herself. The Lithuania native started swimming at age 9. Her father was watching swimming on the television one day and told Serniute he wanted ...

Swim and dive start regular season off strong

By Meghan Rest, Assistant sports editor

November 29, 2018

The Illinois swimming and diving team hasn’t had a 5-2 start to a season during all of senior Gabriele Seriunte’s time with the program. But the team’s accomplishments this year have put the freestyle and breast stroke swimmer in a position to succeed in the preliminary rounds of USA Winter Nationa...

Illinois swim and dive team has season filled with mixed results

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

May 8, 2017

Coming into the 2016-17 season, the Illinois swim and dive team had 12 newcomers on the roster and only three seniors. However, this did not seem to hold back the team this season. Illinois got off to a quick 4-0 start to its season when it had home meets on back-to-back days in October. The Illini’s ...

Illinois swim and dive team breaks records at Big Ten Championship

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 20, 2017

The Illinois swim and dive team shattered several school records but placed 12th at the Big Ten Championship this past week in West Lafayette, Indiana. On the first day of competition, the relay team of seniors  —Amelia Schilling, Gabbie Stecker, Audrey Rodawig and junior Samantha Stratford — set a new school recor...

Illinois swim and dive heads to Big Ten Championships

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 15, 2017

Illinois swim and dive head coach Sue Novitsky and her squad arrived in West Lafayette, Indiana, to compete Wednesday in the Big Ten Championship. There will be four days of competition, concluding Saturday, with each day being an all-day event. Sophomore Megan Vuong isn’t worried about having...

Kuhn shines at UIC Diving Invitational

Kuhn shines at UIC Diving Invitational

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 6, 2017

Sophomore Madeline Kuhn turned in an impressive performance at the UIC Diving Invitational on Saturday, winning the three-meter diving event and placing second in the one-meter diving event. Kuhn tallied 266.90 points to get the first place honors in the three-meter diving event. She was 1.9 points s...

Sentimental Senior Day celebrations not enough to help muster win over Nebraska

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

January 23, 2017

It was an emotional scene before the start of Saturday’s Illinois swim and dive meet when seniors Audrey Rodawig, Amelia Schilling and Gabbie Stecker received their bouquets of flowers. Tears soon became noticeable from the three seniors as each one came to the realization that Saturday’s meet again...

Illinois women’s swim & dive finish 1-3 over Winter Break

By Mike Gasick, Assistant sports editor

January 17, 2017

The Illinois women's swim & dive team won one of the three meets it competed in during winter break. The Illini began their competition with a home meet against Arkansas. Senior Amelia Schilling won the 200 free in the first event of the meet. Three other Illini swimmers would win individual...

Illinois swim and dive team has promising start

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

December 12, 2016

Editor’s note: At the time of publication, Swim and Dive was still competing.At the midseason point, the Illinois swim and dive team are off to a 6-1 start and a very respectable second place finish at the Missouri Invitational. After winning back to back home meets on Oct. 21 and 22, the Illini hit t...

Illinois swim and dive looks to its freshmen

By Erich Fisher, Contributing Writer

December 7, 2016

With a team consisting of twelve freshmen, it wouldn’t have been unusual to assume that there might be some growing pains with this year’s Illinois swim and dive team. But within the team and coaching staff, the 6-1 start to the season and a second-place finish at the Missouri Invitational w...

Next Page »