Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

By Monze Hernandez, Staff writer

October 21, 2019

Illinois traveled to Chicago last weekend to face Northwestern and the University of Illinois at Chicago for a tri-meet at the Norris Aquatic Center. Illinois beat UIC 207-92 but fell short against Northwestern 107-192. Despite splitting the weekend with one win and one loss, the Illini picked up four...

Shegos prepares for Big Ten Championships and Zones competition

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 17, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team started off the season with a 192-107 win against Indiana State Friday. The following day, the team competed against Big Ten opponent Northwestern and the University of Illinois Chicago in a tri-dual meet. The team swept University of Illinois at Chicago 207-92 but fell to ...

Buys reflects on journey being so far from home

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

October 10, 2019

A new country, a new school, a new team. This year has been full of plenty of new things for freshman swimmer Jeanri Buys. Buys’ journey to Illinois started back at a school swim meet where she almost drowned. She said her brother was embarrassed and begged her mom to make her take swimming lessons, an...

Illinois anticipates another momentous season

By Angelle Cortes, Contributing Writer

September 30, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team is coming off a 7-5 record and one NCAA post-season appearance in the 2018-19 season. In the upcoming season, they’re looking to keep improving race times and build on the momentum from last season. “We were the 16th most improved team in the country in October, the 25th mos...

Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

March 25, 2019

Illinois alum Sabine Taaffe was the last women’s diver to make it to the NCAA Championship in 1992. For the first time since then, senior Ling Kuhn had the honor of representing the Illini on the diving platform at the 2019 NCAA Championship. When she qualified in 1992, Taaffe finished 10th in three-met...

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

February 4, 2019

While it’s an emotional time for many of the Illini swimming and diving seniors who just recently competed in their senior day meet, Ling Kuhn couldn’t be happier with where her time at Illinois has brought her. Kuhn, a senior from Bloomington, Illinois, has been swimming since she was in first gr...

Senior season for Illini swimmer Serniute coming together

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

December 6, 2018

Illinois swimmer Gabriele Serniute believes inspiration comes from just about anything, but it presents itself in different ways. The senior can attest to this herself. The Lithuania native started swimming at age 9. Her father was watching swimming on the television one day and told Serniute he wanted ...

Swim and dive start regular season off strong

By Meghan Rest, Assistant sports editor

November 29, 2018

The Illinois swimming and diving team hasn’t had a 5-2 start to a season during all of senior Gabriele Seriunte’s time with the program. But the team’s accomplishments this year have put the freestyle and breast stroke swimmer in a position to succeed in the preliminary rounds of USA Winter Nationa...

Illinois swim and dive team has season filled with mixed results

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

May 8, 2017

Coming into the 2016-17 season, the Illinois swim and dive team had 12 newcomers on the roster and only three seniors. However, this did not seem to hold back the team this season. Illinois got off to a quick 4-0 start to its season when it had home meets on back-to-back days in October. The Illini’s ...

Illinois swim and dive team breaks records at Big Ten Championship

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 20, 2017

The Illinois swim and dive team shattered several school records but placed 12th at the Big Ten Championship this past week in West Lafayette, Indiana. On the first day of competition, the relay team of seniors  —Amelia Schilling, Gabbie Stecker, Audrey Rodawig and junior Samantha Stratford — set a new school recor...

Illinois swim and dive heads to Big Ten Championships

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 15, 2017

Illinois swim and dive head coach Sue Novitsky and her squad arrived in West Lafayette, Indiana, to compete Wednesday in the Big Ten Championship. There will be four days of competition, concluding Saturday, with each day being an all-day event. Sophomore Megan Vuong isn’t worried about having...

Kuhn shines at UIC Diving Invitational

Kuhn shines at UIC Diving Invitational

By Erich Fisher, Staff writer

February 6, 2017

Sophomore Madeline Kuhn turned in an impressive performance at the UIC Diving Invitational on Saturday, winning the three-meter diving event and placing second in the one-meter diving event. Kuhn tallied 266.90 points to get the first place honors in the three-meter diving event. She was 1.9 points s...

Next Page »