Swim and dive coach reacts to Iowa’s program cuts

Women’s swimming head coach Sue Novitsky hugs senior swimmer Gabriele Serniute during Senior Day on Jan. 26, 2019. Novitsky felt shocked upon hearing about Iowa’s program cuts.
September 17, 2020

On Aug. 21, the University of Iowa’s President, Bruce Herald, and Director of Athletics, Gary Barta, announced in an open letter to the university that four varsity sports programs would be cut due to...

Alumni catch-up: Kuhn looks back at historic career

Former Illinois diver Ling Kuhn readies herself before an attempt during the match against Indiana State on Oct. 13, 2017.
May 4, 2020

Former swim and dive athlete Ling Kuhn became the first Illini to make it to the NCAA Championships for platform diving. Kuhn is now one year out of college and is settling into her life as an...

Heimes finds success in, out of pool

Sophomore Kaylee Heimes readies herself on the starting block during a swim meet.
April 17, 2020

Illinois swim and dive sophomore Kaylee Heimes used to be scared of tornadoes when she was younger. Instead of continuing to be afraid of them, Heimes turned her fear into research to learn why tornadoes...

Travel advisories affects international student-athlete

Freshman Jeanri Buys competes in a breaststroke event at the Big Ten Championships on Feb. 19.
April 2, 2020

Amidst the cancellations of in-person school and sports, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker placed the state under a shelter-in-place order. Getting home wasn’t so easy for freshman Jeanri Buys who is from...

Illini of the season: Shegos, Salafatinos lead Illini next year

Freshman Athena Salafatinos waits on the block to start a backstroke race at The Swim and Dive Big Ten Championship on Feb. 26.
March 29, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team finished their almost-complete season with a 4-6-1 record, including a 3-0 record at home. The Illini had 11 swimmers advance to the CSCAA National Invitational Championship...

Coronavirus cancels last meet of season

Junior Jimena Martinez swims at the University of Iowa Natatorium on Jan. 11.
March 17, 2020

Before the Big Ten made the decision to cancel all sports for the remainder of the semester, the swim and dive team was able to compete in at least one day of the three-day CSCAA National Invitational...

Illinois finishes 13th at Big Ten Championships

The Illini put their hands together during the Big Ten Championships in Iowa City, Iowa, over the weekend. The team came in 13th at the Big Ten Championships.
February 24, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team swam to a 13th-place finish at the four-day Big Ten Championships this weekend at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. Illinois earned 33 lifetime-, 10 season- and...

Freshman quickly acclimates to college swim

February 8, 2020

Freshman Athena Salafatinos has been swimming competitively ever since she was five years old. And, all her hard work paid off her senior year of high school when her swim team won the state finals, helping...

Illini take on Toyota U.S. Open, Rutgers Diving Invitational

Freshman Erin Young dives at the Rutgers Invitational at the Rutgers Aquatic Center over the weekend.
December 9, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team sent three Illini swimmers to the Toyota U.S. Open Championships in Atlanta and three divers to the Rutgers Diving Invitational from Thursday-Saturday. Illinois redshirt...

Divers head to Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational

November 16, 2019

Head coach Sue Novitsky and her swimmers will head to Indianapolis for the House of Champions Invitational, while diving coach, Manny Pollard and his divers head to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Hall of...

Illinois falls in dual meet

Abigail Cabush swims at Miami for the double dual meet on Friday.
November 6, 2019

Illinois flew to Miami, Florida, for a two-day dual meet against Florida International University and the University of Miami at the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Center on Friday and Saturday. The team ended...

Illinois swim and dive team begins road swing in Miami Friday

Abigal Cabush performs a butterfly stroke at the ARC pool on Oct. 17. Cabush was named Big Ten swimmer of the week on Oct. 23.
October 31, 2019

After two weeks without competition, the Illinois swim and dive team is ready to compete in an away meet this weekend against Miami and Florida International University in Miami. With an overall record...

Load more stories