Alumni catch-up: Kuhn looks back at historic career

Former Illinois diver Ling Kuhn readies herself before an attempt during the match against Indiana State on Oct. 13, 2017.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

May 4, 2020

Former swim and dive athlete Ling Kuhn became the first Illini to make it to the NCAA Championships for platform diving. Kuhn is now one year out of college and is settling into her life as an event caterer. Currently, she works for Michael's Catering located in Champaign. Her title is Event...

Heimes finds success in, out of pool

Sophomore Kaylee Heimes readies herself on the starting block during a swim meet.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

April 17, 2020

Illinois swim and dive sophomore Kaylee Heimes used to be scared of tornadoes when she was younger. Instead of continuing to be afraid of them, Heimes turned her fear into research to learn why tornadoes are the way they are. “When I was in middle school, I found out that I could make a career out...

Travel advisories affects international student-athlete

Freshman Jeanri Buys competes in a breaststroke event at the Big Ten Championships on Feb. 19.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

April 2, 2020

Amidst the cancellations of in-person school and sports, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker placed the state under a shelter-in-place order. Getting home wasn’t so easy for freshman Jeanri Buys who is from Johannesburg, South Africa. “I had to change my flights back home four times,” Buys said. Be...

Illini of the season: Shegos, Salafatinos lead Illini next year

Freshman Athena Salafatinos waits on the block to start a backstroke race at The Swim and Dive Big Ten Championship on Feb. 26.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

March 29, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team finished their almost-complete season with a 4-6-1 record, including a 3-0 record at home. The Illini had 11 swimmers advance to the CSCAA National Invitational Championship and two divers advance to the NCAA Zone C Diving Championship, but both events were cut short. D...

Coronavirus cancels last meet of season

Junior Jimena Martinez swims at the University of Iowa Natatorium on Jan. 11.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

March 17, 2020

Before the Big Ten made the decision to cancel all sports for the remainder of the semester, the swim and dive team was able to compete in at least one day of the three-day CSCAA National Invitational Championship and NCAA Zone C Diving Championship. Eleven swimmers competed in Cleveland, Ohio, while div...

Illinois finishes 13th at Big Ten Championships

The Illini put their hands together during the Big Ten Championships in Iowa City, Iowa, over the weekend. The team came in 13th at the Big Ten Championships.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

February 24, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team swam to a 13th-place finish at the four-day Big Ten Championships this weekend at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. Illinois earned 33 lifetime-, 10 season- and four all-time personal bests at the meet. On day one of the Championships, the Illini competed in th...

Freshman quickly acclimates to college swim

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

February 8, 2020

Freshman Athena Salafatinos has been swimming competitively ever since she was five years old. And, all her hard work paid off her senior year of high school when her swim team won the state finals, helping to earn her a spot on Illinois' swim and dive team. Salafatinos started off swimming at a sum...

Illini take on Toyota U.S. Open, Rutgers Diving Invitational

Freshman Erin Young dives at the Rutgers Invitational at the Rutgers Aquatic Center over the weekend.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

December 9, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team sent three Illini swimmers to the Toyota U.S. Open Championships in Atlanta and three divers to the Rutgers Diving Invitational from Thursday-Saturday. Illinois redshirt senior Aby Olson, alongside seniors Kristin Anderson and Jamie Kolar, competed at the Georgia Tech...

Divers head to Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

November 16, 2019

Head coach Sue Novitsky and her swimmers will head to Indianapolis for the House of Champions Invitational, while diving coach, Manny Pollard and his divers head to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational. The swimmers will be competing Friday-Nov. 24. Meanwhile, the divers will ...

Illinois falls in dual meet

Abigail Cabush swims at Miami for the double dual meet on Friday.

By Monze Hernandez, Staff Writer

November 6, 2019

Illinois flew to Miami, Florida, for a two-day dual meet against Florida International University and the University of Miami at the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Center on Friday and Saturday. The team ended the first day of competition trailing FIU 151-92 and Miami 126-114. There was some fatigue toward the e...

Illinois swim and dive team begins road swing in Miami Friday

Abigal Cabush performs a butterfly stroke at the ARC pool on Oct. 17. Cabush was named Big Ten swimmer of the week on Oct. 23.

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 31, 2019

After two weeks without competition, the Illinois swim and dive team is ready to compete in an away meet this weekend against Miami and Florida International University in Miami. With an overall record of 4-1-1, Illinois is starting its season off strongly, exemplified by the team’s flawless rec...

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

Sarah Cano swims at the ARC Pool against Illinois State on Thursday. The Illini finished the weekend with a 4-1-1 record.

By Monze Hernandez, Staff writer

October 21, 2019

Illinois traveled to Chicago last weekend to face Northwestern and the University of Illinois at Chicago for a tri-meet at the Norris Aquatic Center. Illinois beat UIC 207-92 but fell short against Northwestern 107-192. Despite splitting the weekend with one win and one loss, the Illini picked up four...

Next Page »