Travel advisories affects international student-athlete

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

April 2, 2020

Amidst the cancellations of in-person school and sports, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker placed the state under a shelter-in-place order. Getting home wasn’t so easy for freshman Jeanri Buys who is from Johannesburg, South Africa. “I had to change my flights back home four times,” Buys said. Be...

Illini of the season: Shegos, Salafatinos lead Illini next year

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

March 29, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team finished their almost-complete season with a 4-6-1 record, including a 3-0 record at home. The Illini had 11 swimmers advance to the CSCAA National Invitational Championship and two divers advance to the NCAA Zone C Diving Championship, but both events were cut short. D...

Coronavirus cancels last meet of season

Coronavirus cancels last meet of season

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

March 17, 2020

Before the Big Ten made the decision to cancel all sports for the remainder of the semester, the swim and dive team was able to compete in at least one day of the three-day CSCAA National Invitational Championship and NCAA Zone C Diving Championship. Eleven swimmers competed in Cleveland, Ohio, while div...

Illinois finishes 13th at Big Ten Championships

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

February 24, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team swam to a 13th-place finish at the four-day Big Ten Championships this weekend at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. Illinois earned 33 lifetime-, 10 season- and four all-time personal bests at the meet. On day one of the Championships, the Illini competed in th...

Freshman quickly acclimates to college swim

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

February 8, 2020

Freshman Athena Salafatinos has been swimming competitively ever since she was five years old. And, all her hard work paid off her senior year of high school when her swim team won the state finals, helping to earn her a spot on Illinois' swim and dive team. Salafatinos started off swimming at a sum...

Illini take on Toyota U.S. Open, Rutgers Diving Invitational

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

December 9, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team sent three Illini swimmers to the Toyota U.S. Open Championships in Atlanta and three divers to the Rutgers Diving Invitational from Thursday-Saturday. Illinois redshirt senior Aby Olson, alongside seniors Kristin Anderson and Jamie Kolar, competed at the Georgia Tech...

Divers head to Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

November 16, 2019

Head coach Sue Novitsky and her swimmers will head to Indianapolis for the House of Champions Invitational, while diving coach, Manny Pollard and his divers head to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational. The swimmers will be competing Friday-Nov. 24. Meanwhile, the divers will ...

Illinois falls in dual meet

Illinois falls in dual meet

By Monze Hernandez, Staff Writer

November 6, 2019

Illinois flew to Miami, Florida, for a two-day dual meet against Florida International University and the University of Miami at the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Center on Friday and Saturday. The team ended the first day of competition trailing FIU 151-92 and Miami 126-114. There was some fatigue toward the e...

Illinois swim and dive team begins road swing in Miami Friday

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 31, 2019

After two weeks without competition, the Illinois swim and dive team is ready to compete in an away meet this weekend against Miami and Florida International University in Miami. With an overall record of 4-1-1, Illinois is starting its season off strongly, exemplified by the team’s flawless rec...

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

By Monze Hernandez, Staff writer

October 21, 2019

Illinois traveled to Chicago last weekend to face Northwestern and the University of Illinois at Chicago for a tri-meet at the Norris Aquatic Center. Illinois beat UIC 207-92 but fell short against Northwestern 107-192. Despite splitting the weekend with one win and one loss, the Illini picked up four...

Shegos prepares for Big Ten Championships and Zones competition

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 17, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team started off the season with a 192-107 win against Indiana State Friday. The following day, the team competed against Big Ten opponent Northwestern and the University of Illinois Chicago in a tri-dual meet. The team swept University of Illinois at Chicago 207-92 but fell to ...

Buys reflects on journey being so far from home

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

October 10, 2019

A new country, a new school, a new team. This year has been full of plenty of new things for freshman swimmer Jeanri Buys. Buys’ journey to Illinois started back at a school swim meet where she almost drowned. She said her brother was embarrassed and begged her mom to make her take swimming lessons, an...

Next Page »