Illini take on Toyota U.S. Open, Rutgers Diving Invitational

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

December 9, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team sent three Illini swimmers to the Toyota U.S. Open Championships in Atlanta and three divers to the Rutgers Diving Invitational from Thursday-Saturday. Illinois redshirt senior Aby Olson, alongside seniors Kristin Anderson and Jamie Kolar, competed at the Georgia Tech...

Divers head to Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

November 16, 2019

Head coach Sue Novitsky and her swimmers will head to Indianapolis for the House of Champions Invitational, while diving coach, Manny Pollard and his divers head to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Hall of Fame Diving Invitational. The swimmers will be competing Friday-Nov. 24. Meanwhile, the divers will ...

Illinois falls in dual meet

Illinois falls in dual meet

By Monze Hernandez, Staff Writer

November 6, 2019

Illinois flew to Miami, Florida, for a two-day dual meet against Florida International University and the University of Miami at the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Center on Friday and Saturday. The team ended the first day of competition trailing FIU 151-92 and Miami 126-114. There was some fatigue toward the e...

Illinois swim and dive team begins road swing in Miami Friday

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 31, 2019

After two weeks without competition, the Illinois swim and dive team is ready to compete in an away meet this weekend against Miami and Florida International University in Miami. With an overall record of 4-1-1, Illinois is starting its season off strongly, exemplified by the team’s flawless rec...

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

Illinois splits tri-meet, earns 10 wins

By Monze Hernandez, Staff writer

October 21, 2019

Illinois traveled to Chicago last weekend to face Northwestern and the University of Illinois at Chicago for a tri-meet at the Norris Aquatic Center. Illinois beat UIC 207-92 but fell short against Northwestern 107-192. Despite splitting the weekend with one win and one loss, the Illini picked up four...

Shegos prepares for Big Ten Championships and Zones competition

By Angelle Cortes, Staff Writer

October 17, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team started off the season with a 192-107 win against Indiana State Friday. The following day, the team competed against Big Ten opponent Northwestern and the University of Illinois Chicago in a tri-dual meet. The team swept University of Illinois at Chicago 207-92 but fell to ...

Buys reflects on journey being so far from home

By Monze Hernandez, Contributing Writer

October 10, 2019

A new country, a new school, a new team. This year has been full of plenty of new things for freshman swimmer Jeanri Buys. Buys’ journey to Illinois started back at a school swim meet where she almost drowned. She said her brother was embarrassed and begged her mom to make her take swimming lessons, an...

Illinois anticipates another momentous season

By Angelle Cortes, Contributing Writer

September 30, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team is coming off a 7-5 record and one NCAA post-season appearance in the 2018-19 season. In the upcoming season, they’re looking to keep improving race times and build on the momentum from last season. “We were the 16th most improved team in the country in October, the 25th mos...

Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

Kuhn places 18th at NCAA debut

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

March 25, 2019

Illinois alum Sabine Taaffe was the last women’s diver to make it to the NCAA Championship in 1992. For the first time since then, senior Ling Kuhn had the honor of representing the Illini on the diving platform at the 2019 NCAA Championship. When she qualified in 1992, Taaffe finished 10th in three-met...

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

Ling Kuhn reminisces on years as diver

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

February 4, 2019

While it’s an emotional time for many of the Illini swimming and diving seniors who just recently competed in their senior day meet, Ling Kuhn couldn’t be happier with where her time at Illinois has brought her. Kuhn, a senior from Bloomington, Illinois, has been swimming since she was in first gr...

Senior season for Illini swimmer Serniute coming together

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

December 6, 2018

Illinois swimmer Gabriele Serniute believes inspiration comes from just about anything, but it presents itself in different ways. The senior can attest to this herself. The Lithuania native started swimming at age 9. Her father was watching swimming on the television one day and told Serniute he wanted ...

Swim and dive start regular season off strong

By Meghan Rest, Assistant sports editor

November 29, 2018

The Illinois swimming and diving team hasn’t had a 5-2 start to a season during all of senior Gabriele Seriunte’s time with the program. But the team’s accomplishments this year have put the freestyle and breast stroke swimmer in a position to succeed in the preliminary rounds of USA Winter Nationa...

Next Page »