Strong performances push Illini past Cornhuskers for first win of season

Senior Jimena Martinez swims freestyle during the meet against Nebraska on Saturday.
January 23, 2021

The Illini women’s swimming and diving team defeated Nebraska, 164-136, their first victory over the Cornhuskers in nearly six years. The Illini started off strong in the first event of the meet,...

Illinois takes on Nebraska, looks to snap five-meet losing streak

Sophomore Isabelle Guerra competes at the meet against Purdue on Jan. 16.
January 22, 2021

The Illini women’s swim and dive team will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to face off with the Cornhuskers on Saturday. The meet is scheduled for 11 a.m. Central Time at Nebraska’s Devaney Center Natatorium. Both...

Illini fall to Boilermakers despite key performances

Junior Ashley Cabush waits in the water after one of her races during the meet against Purdue on Saturday. Cabush placed first in two of her events.
January 17, 2021

After nearly 11 months, the Illini women’s swim and dive team has finally returned to competition and faced off against Big Ten rival Purdue. This weekend, the team traveled to West Lafayette,...

Swim and dive coach reacts to Iowa’s program cuts

Women’s swimming head coach Sue Novitsky hugs senior swimmer Gabriele Serniute during Senior Day on Jan. 26, 2019. Novitsky felt shocked upon hearing about Iowa’s program cuts.
September 17, 2020

On Aug. 21, the University of Iowa’s President, Bruce Herald, and Director of Athletics, Gary Barta, announced in an open letter to the university that four varsity sports programs would be cut due to...

Alumni catch-up: Kuhn looks back at historic career

Former Illinois diver Ling Kuhn readies herself before an attempt during the match against Indiana State on Oct. 13, 2017.
May 4, 2020

Former swim and dive athlete Ling Kuhn became the first Illini to make it to the NCAA Championships for platform diving. Kuhn is now one year out of college and is settling into her life as an...

Heimes finds success in, out of pool

Sophomore Kaylee Heimes readies herself on the starting block during a swim meet.
April 17, 2020

Illinois swim and dive sophomore Kaylee Heimes used to be scared of tornadoes when she was younger. Instead of continuing to be afraid of them, Heimes turned her fear into research to learn why tornadoes...

Travel advisories affects international student-athlete

Freshman Jeanri Buys competes in a breaststroke event at the Big Ten Championships on Feb. 19.
April 2, 2020

Amidst the cancellations of in-person school and sports, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker placed the state under a shelter-in-place order. Getting home wasn’t so easy for freshman Jeanri Buys who is from...

Illini of the season: Shegos, Salafatinos lead Illini next year

Freshman Athena Salafatinos waits on the block to start a backstroke race at The Swim and Dive Big Ten Championship on Feb. 26.
March 29, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team finished their almost-complete season with a 4-6-1 record, including a 3-0 record at home. The Illini had 11 swimmers advance to the CSCAA National Invitational Championship...

Coronavirus cancels last meet of season

Junior Jimena Martinez swims at the University of Iowa Natatorium on Jan. 11.
March 17, 2020

Before the Big Ten made the decision to cancel all sports for the remainder of the semester, the swim and dive team was able to compete in at least one day of the three-day CSCAA National Invitational...

Illinois finishes 13th at Big Ten Championships

The Illini put their hands together during the Big Ten Championships in Iowa City, Iowa, over the weekend. The team came in 13th at the Big Ten Championships.
February 24, 2020

The Illinois swim and dive team swam to a 13th-place finish at the four-day Big Ten Championships this weekend at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. Illinois earned 33 lifetime-, 10 season- and...

Freshman quickly acclimates to college swim

February 8, 2020

Freshman Athena Salafatinos has been swimming competitively ever since she was five years old. And, all her hard work paid off her senior year of high school when her swim team won the state finals, helping...

Illini take on Toyota U.S. Open, Rutgers Diving Invitational

Freshman Erin Young dives at the Rutgers Invitational at the Rutgers Aquatic Center over the weekend.
December 9, 2019

The Illinois swim and dive team sent three Illini swimmers to the Toyota U.S. Open Championships in Atlanta and three divers to the Rutgers Diving Invitational from Thursday-Saturday. Illinois redshirt...

Load more stories