Illinois wheelchair basketball hosts first home tournament of season

Ruby Elbert shoots a basket Friday. The Illini won all three games Friday.
February 17, 2020

The Illinois wheelchair basketball team played its only home tournament of the season at the ARC Friday and Saturday. Since the team seldom plays in Champaign, they cherished a weekend of playing in front...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team not satisfied with season’s end

Coach Stephanie Wheeler watches as the womens team plays against Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.
March 1, 2017

For Kaitlyn Eaton of the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball, breathing exercises are essential. “I’m a very aggressive player out on the court, and I know that about myself,” she said. “Before...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball trying new things in practice

The Illini's Women's Wheelchair basketball team chant during half-time against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.
February 17, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team began its practice on Monday with one basketball, along with other balls. It was for a game known around the National Wheelchair Basketball Association...

Wheeler wants progress from Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illini's Erica Wilson takes the ball around to the basket against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.
February 3, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is coming off a tournament in which players’ mistakes were audibled. During the team’s second game against the Canadian Academy Team last weekend,...

Weaknesses show for Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team at home

Illini's Erica Wilson (23) takes a freethrow shot against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.
January 30, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team started this season knowing that it would have a height disadvantage. Though the team added more height in the middle of the season with freshman transfer...

New-look Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team finds confidence

Illinois' Megan Blunk shoots the ball during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12, 2016. The Illini won 56-47.
January 27, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team earned a road trip win that was its first real victory in two months, and the Illini are confident heading into the first home tournament of the season. “I...

Paralympian McClammer returns to women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on February 12. The Illini won 56-47.
December 8, 2016

Chelsea McClammer won three medals at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games in racing. But outside of that, she was focused on a different para-sport: wheelchair basketball. Throughout the Paralympics, she...

Illinois wheelchair basketball teams look out for rubber in Whitewater

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12. Wheeler's team just won gold at the 2016 Paralympics in Rio.
November 23, 2016

The hoop can be a problematic thing in basketball. But in wheelchair basketball, so can the court. The courts became a factor in the Illinois wheelchair basketball teams’ games over the weekend at...

Undersized Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team looks up to taller freshman

Grad student and captain Shelby Gruss looks to pass over threw the hands of the Mary Free Bed Rollin Drive defenders. Rollin Drive went on to defeat the Illinois women's wheelchair basketball team in the first round of the 2nd City Showdown's tournament in Chicago from Nov. 12-13.
November 15, 2016

The “weekend of discovery” for the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is over. Behind a new trio of leaders, Illinois defeated the Milwaukee Bucks’ wheelchair basketball team to finish...

Sporting goals beyond sports

Women's wheelchair participant Tatyana McFadden (251) leads the women participants at the start of the race down down Columbus Drive in Chicago, Ill during the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.
November 8, 2016

When Adam Bleakney first walked into an Iowa driver’s license facility, everything seemed normal. A month and a half later, though, he returned to the facility and talked with the same employee. But...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team adds to gold collection

September 18, 2016

Stephanie Wheeler is usually stoic-faced on and off the basketball court. She knows how to maintain her composure and is well-spoken in front of the media. But on Saturday, all of those characteristics...

Four Illini rounding out Team USA women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illinois' Tatyana McFadden (11) shoots the ball during the wheelchair basketball game against Chicago Sky for the Illini Classic Wheelchair Basketball Tournament that was held  in the ARC on Saturday, November 7, 2009.
September 7, 2016

It’s not easy for some to forget tough losses. For the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team members, they still have last year’s second-place finish in their minds. Megan Blunk and Gail Gaeng...

Load more stories