Brian Bell looks to pass the ball to a teammate on Sept. 1 at the Tokyo Paralympics. Team USA played against Turkey on Sept. 1.

Illini Paralympians update: Martin wins two silvers; Scaroni, Romanchuk secure gold medals

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor September 2, 2021

The Paralympics kicked off last week in Tokyo, with several Illini competing for Team USA. Here’s how the Illini have done at the Paralympics: Tatyana McFadden (Wheelchair racing, USA): McFadden...

USA Paralympic athlete Tatyana McFadden poses for a photo in front of the track she will be competing on in the coming days. McFadden is an Illinois alumni and is set to make a big impact in wheelchair racing as she has accumulated 17 medals over the course of three olympic games.

Illini at the Paralympics: McFadden competes in sixth Games, McGrory represents USA for fourth time

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor August 25, 2021

Illini in the Paralympics The 2020 Paralympics are set to kick off in Tokyo Tuesday. Many Illini will be competing in the Games. Here’s who’s going to Tokyo: Wheelchair racing, USA Tatyana...

Ruby Elbert shoots a basket Friday. The Illini won all three games Friday.

Illinois wheelchair basketball hosts first home tournament of season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer February 17, 2020

The Illinois wheelchair basketball team played its only home tournament of the season at the ARC Friday and Saturday. Since the team seldom plays in Champaign, they cherished a weekend of playing in front...

Coach Stephanie Wheeler watches as the womens team plays against Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team not satisfied with season’s end

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer March 1, 2017

For Kaitlyn Eaton of the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball, breathing exercises are essential. “I’m a very aggressive player out on the court, and I know that about myself,” she said. “Before...

The Illinis Womens Wheelchair basketball team chant during half-time against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball trying new things in practice

By Ryan Wilon, Staff writer February 17, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team began its practice on Monday with one basketball, along with other balls. It was for a game known around the National Wheelchair Basketball Association...

Illinis Erica Wilson takes the ball around to the basket against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

Wheeler wants progress from Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team

By Ryan Wilson , Staff writer February 3, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is coming off a tournament in which players’ mistakes were audibled. During the team’s second game against the Canadian Academy Team last weekend,...

Illinis Erica Wilson (23) takes a freethrow shot against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

Weaknesses show for Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team at home

By Ryan Wilson , Staff writer January 30, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team started this season knowing that it would have a height disadvantage. Though the team added more height in the middle of the season with freshman transfer...

Illinois Megan Blunk shoots the ball during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12, 2016. The Illini won 56-47.

New-look Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team finds confidence

By Ryan Wilson , Staff writer January 27, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team earned a road trip win that was its first real victory in two months, and the Illini are confident heading into the first home tournament of the season. “I...

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on February 12. The Illini won 56-47.

Paralympian McClammer returns to women’s wheelchair basketball team

By Ryan Wilson , Staff writer December 8, 2016

Chelsea McClammer won three medals at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games in racing. But outside of that, she was focused on a different para-sport: wheelchair basketball. Throughout the Paralympics, she...

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12. Wheelers team just won gold at the 2016 Paralympics in Rio.

Illinois wheelchair basketball teams look out for rubber in Whitewater

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer November 23, 2016

The hoop can be a problematic thing in basketball. But in wheelchair basketball, so can the court. The courts became a factor in the Illinois wheelchair basketball teams’ games over the weekend at...

Grad student and captain Shelby Gruss looks to pass over threw the hands of the Mary Free Bed Rollin Drive defenders. Rollin Drive went on to defeat the Illinois womens wheelchair basketball team in the first round of the 2nd City Showdowns tournament in Chicago from Nov. 12-13.

Undersized Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team looks up to taller freshman

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer November 15, 2016

The “weekend of discovery” for the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is over. Behind a new trio of leaders, Illinois defeated the Milwaukee Bucks’ wheelchair basketball team to finish...

Women's wheelchair participant Tatyana McFadden (251) leads the women participants at the start of the race down down Columbus Drive in Chicago, Ill during the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.

Sporting goals beyond sports

By Ryan Wilson , Staff writer November 8, 2016

When Adam Bleakney first walked into an Iowa driver’s license facility, everything seemed normal. A month and a half later, though, he returned to the facility and talked with the same employee. But...

Load More Stories