Illinois wheelchair basketball hosts first home tournament of season

Ruby Elbert shoots a basket Friday. The Illini won all three games Friday.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 17, 2020

The Illinois wheelchair basketball team played its only home tournament of the season at the ARC Friday and Saturday. Since the team seldom plays in Champaign, they cherished a weekend of playing in front of friends and family. “It was really heartwarming (because) most of the time we’re on the road an...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team not satisfied with season’s end

Coach Stephanie Wheeler watches as the womens team plays against Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

March 1, 2017

For Kaitlyn Eaton of the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball, breathing exercises are essential. “I’m a very aggressive player out on the court, and I know that about myself,” she said. “Before games … I just have to take some time and be with myself, focus my breathing and keeping...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball trying new things in practice

The Illini's Women's Wheelchair basketball team chant during half-time against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

By Ryan Wilon, Staff writer

February 17, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team began its practice on Monday with one basketball, along with other balls. It was for a game known around the National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) to improve focus and ball handling. Illinois players swerved around the paint while head...

Wheeler wants progress from Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illini's Erica Wilson takes the ball around to the basket against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

February 3, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is coming off a tournament in which players’ mistakes were audibled. During the team’s second game against the Canadian Academy Team last weekend, freshman Erica Wilson and senior Chelsea McClammer were yelled at by either senior leader Kaitlyn...

Weaknesses show for Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team at home

Illini's Erica Wilson (23) takes a freethrow shot against the Canadian National Academy in the ARC on Friday, Jan. 27th.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

January 30, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team started this season knowing that it would have a height disadvantage. Though the team added more height in the middle of the season with freshman transfer Janet Scanlon, that was still not enough in the Illini's 0-2 showing over the weekend. Illi...

New-look Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team finds confidence

Illinois' Megan Blunk shoots the ball during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12, 2016. The Illini won 56-47.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

January 27, 2017

The Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team earned a road trip win that was its first real victory in two months, and the Illini are confident heading into the first home tournament of the season. “I think we need to play as a team, and I think we did that at the last tournament, especially...

Paralympian McClammer returns to women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on February 12. The Illini won 56-47.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

December 8, 2016

Chelsea McClammer won three medals at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games in racing. But outside of that, she was focused on a different para-sport: wheelchair basketball. Throughout the Paralympics, she was watching Illinois alums Megan Blunk and Gail Gaeng on the U.S. women’s wheelchair basketball team,...

Illinois wheelchair basketball teams look out for rubber in Whitewater

Illinois head coach Stephanie Wheeler shouts instructions to her team during the game against Alabama at the Activities and Recreation Center on Feb. 12. Wheeler's team just won gold at the 2016 Paralympics in Rio.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

November 23, 2016

The hoop can be a problematic thing in basketball. But in wheelchair basketball, so can the court. The courts became a factor in the Illinois wheelchair basketball teams’ games over the weekend at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. The team competed in a series of games on the basketball...

Undersized Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team looks up to taller freshman

Grad student and captain Shelby Gruss looks to pass over threw the hands of the Mary Free Bed Rollin Drive defenders. Rollin Drive went on to defeat the Illinois women's wheelchair basketball team in the first round of the 2nd City Showdown's tournament in Chicago from Nov. 12-13.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

November 15, 2016

The “weekend of discovery” for the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team is over. Behind a new trio of leaders, Illinois defeated the Milwaukee Bucks’ wheelchair basketball team to finish third at the eighth annual Second City Showdown at the Broadway Armory Park in Chicago. The tournament...

Sporting goals beyond sports

Women's wheelchair participant Tatyana McFadden (251) leads the women participants at the start of the race down down Columbus Drive in Chicago, Ill during the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

November 8, 2016

When Adam Bleakney first walked into an Iowa driver’s license facility, everything seemed normal. A month and a half later, though, he returned to the facility and talked with the same employee. But this time, she looked at him completely differently, Bleankey said. “From my personal experience,...

Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team adds to gold collection

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

September 18, 2016

Stephanie Wheeler is usually stoic-faced on and off the basketball court. She knows how to maintain her composure and is well-spoken in front of the media. But on Saturday, all of those characteristics went out the window and she broke loose. In one instance, she tilted her head back, looked to the...

Four Illini rounding out Team USA women’s wheelchair basketball team

Illinois' Tatyana McFadden (11) shoots the ball during the wheelchair basketball game against Chicago Sky for the Illini Classic Wheelchair Basketball Tournament that was held  in the ARC on Saturday, November 7, 2009.

By Ryan Wilson, Staff writer

September 8, 2016

It’s not easy for some to forget tough losses. For the Illinois women’s wheelchair basketball team members, they still have last year’s second-place finish in their minds. Megan Blunk and Gail Gaeng are both trying to accomplish that after their tough tournament loss last season. Though their...

Next Page »