Local mall and stores prepare for holiday rush

By Kathleen Foody

The day after Thanksgiving may center on leftovers and napping for some Champaign-Urbana residents, others will be rushing to local shopping malls and stores.

Marketplace Mall, located on 2000 N. Neil Street in Champaign, is expecting a larger crowd on “Black Friday” than in years past due to their “Doorbuster” promotion, beginning at 6 a.m. The mall will remain open until 9 p.m. on November 25, and will also hold extended hours throughout the rest of the holiday season.

Marketplace is expecting a mix of local residents and travelers on the day after Thanksgiving.

“Year-round, we have such a tourist-friendly location especially with the University of Illinois so close by, and we see the same mix during the holiday season,” said Nora Dukoditz, Marketplace’s marketing manager.

University students are not a major source of attendance on “Black Friday,” but in the weeks following the Thanksgiving holiday, Marketplace caters to a great number.

“By the time they get home, most of their shopping already has to be done,” stated Dukoditz. “So we see more and more students in the weeks leading up to finals.”

Shoppers can expect to see holiday decorations going up inside the mall over the next two weeks, including a place for children to come see Santa Claus. Christmas wishes can be delivered to Old St. Nick outside of the Sears department store, beginning on November 18th. As the holiday shopping season continues, shoppers can expect to see queues going up in stores and at Guest Services where mall gift cards can be purchased. Dukoditz noted that increased staff and security will be present to ensure a safe and enjoyable season for all.

“We’re ready for those holiday shoppers!” Dukoditz exclaimed.

Local specialty stores are also preparing for the kick-off of the holiday shopping season.

Cory Shumard, manager of Gameday Spirit located at 519 E. Green Street in Champaign, said his store is prepared for the traditional influx of student shoppers around the holidays. However, Shumard has another reason to prepare for large crowds on the weekend after Thanksgiving.

“The IHSA finals are also taking place here that weekend, so we’re going to have eight in-state high schools in town on Friday and Saturday,” said Shumard. “We’re expecting a lot of fans and shoppers from that event, as well as those beginning their holiday shopping.”

Gameday will be preparing for the rest of the holiday season by bringing in more of its most popular items.

“We rely on requests from our customers, as well as our own sales history, when we order inventory for the holidays,” said Shumard. “Last year, Illinois basketball merchandise was the most often requested, and we expect that to continue again this year.”

Merchandise geared towards family members is always a consistent source of income around the holidays, however those sales pick up after Thanksgiving break and continue into finals week, Shumard added.

Another local store, Te Shurt, 711 S. Wright Street in Champaign, is not expecting a rush of shoppers on “Black Friday,” but Assistant Manager Andrew Swanson said that their sales normally increase after the Thanksgiving holiday.

“We may possibly not even open the day after Thanksgiving,” said Swanson. “It wouldn’t even be worth the cost.”

Like Gameday, Te Shurt expects merchandise geared towards students’ family members to be their biggest sellers for the holiday season, especially as finals week draws nearer.

“During finals, people take their tests, do some quick shopping, and get out of town,” said Swanson. “We’ll just have to play our staffing schedules by ear.”