Hail to the Chief forever

By George Klippel

The following letter was sent to the UI Board of Trustees Chair Lawrence C. Eppley yesterday, in response to UI’s News Release regarding Chief Illiniwek:

Dear Chairman Eppley, et. al,

How absolutely deplorable that the historic, grand and proud tradition of Chief Illiniwek is being replaced by other traditional American institutions; money-grubbing and the almighty dollar. How dare this administration of the University of Illinois cave in to the NCAA Executive Committee’s “policy.” While you’re at it, I suggest you also recall or rescind “Hail to the Orange,” “Oskee-Wow-Wow” and “Illinois Loyalty.” This action today demonstrates an utter lack of your “loyalty” to a once-proud and glorious institution.

Accordingly, and following your lead, rest assured that my financial support for the U of I ends today. I will not be renewing my season tickets at Memorial Stadium and am also returning my Alumni card for a full refund. Good-bye, ILL-INI.

George Klippel

Bolingbrook, IL

P.S. To the UI Family, How do you feel, now that Mr. Eppley has gone on record on The Chief? A majority of you voted “for” The Chief a couple of years ago, and today’s Daily Illini Poll is running 57 percent “Strongly Opposed” to Eppley’s pronouncement. Welcome to big business; Goodbye loyalty and traditions.