University should make study abroad options more affordable

Nearly a quarter of the University’s undergraduate population has participated in study abroad programs. With this number increasing every year, the University should make an effort to make studying abroad a more affordable option for more students. Since the current economic climate has restricted the University’s budget, I propose that the University increase funding for course abroad programs that take place during winter and summer breaks by reallocating their current budget.

The most recent numbers from the Study Abroad Office show that nearly half of all study abroad students participate during winter or summer breaks. While courses abroad generally cost less than longer study abroad programs, they nevertheless cost more money than students probably would make working during these breaks. Meanwhile, professors leading these courses have their airfare and housing costs covered by the University. While students must pay for travel and housing costs in addition to paying tuition during courses abroad, professors actually have their trips paid for in addition to earning a salary.

In order to increase funding for course abroad programs, I think the University should reallocate study abroad funds to better serve a larger number of students. I propose that the University no longer pay for faculty airfare for study abroad programs. Professors would still have housing paid for while they instruct these courses, and the funds that previously paid for their airfare could go towards either more scholarships for students or could even distribute the money among the students participating in the program abroad, making the student cost slightly more affordable.

Although this policy could not be implemented until planning for the 2010 courses abroad takes place, the University can begin promoting this policy change so students can begin to plan for a more financially viable study abroad experience within the next few years.

Kristy Thomas,

senior in Media