The Hybrid Theory

Hybrid vehicles have become increasingly popular with every summer surge of gas prices over the last decade. This is due to a perception that hybrid vehicles are the cure-all to all of our energy problems in America. As a matter of fact, hybrids are not economically practical and are not more environmentally friendly than the non-hybrid cars that are on the market.

You may be asking yourself, “How is this possible? Hybrids go more miles per gallon than a conventional car, which means that they are greener and will cost less money to drive.”

Well, for the most part, that statement is completely false. When comparing the cost of buying a 2008 Honda Civic or Honda Civic Hybrid, the Hybrid retailed for $7,590 more than the base car, when the hybrid version only improves by 7.5 mpg. Assuming gasoline at a steady $3.00 per gallon, it would take the average American nearly 12 years to recuperate the cost of buying the more expensive hybrid car, and that does not even include the hidden costs of having to maintain and (gulp) buy a new battery for the car. Most families don’t own a car for more than five years.

To some environmentalists, money is not the main issue; it is all about being environmentally conscious. Well, they should also have a problem with buying a hybrid. For example, as metals from battery production are burned and vaporize into the atmosphere, lakes and streams can become polluted with the toxic waste. Lead and extremely corrosive acids are also produced and can seep into the soil and water, polluting the environment. On average, the production of hybrid vehicles emits 4156.7 kg of greenhouse gasses. A conventional car, using an internal combustion engine, however, only emits 3595.8 kg of greenhouse gases during its production.

In reality, the hybrid theory is just a myth. Hybrid cars emit more CO2 throughout their lifespan and typically give no economic benefits to consumers. Next time your friend brags about the brand new Prius in the driveway, you’ll have something else to brag about.

Devin Bergman

Freshman in Engineering