Champaign Police profile suspect in recent kidnapping attempts

Champaign Police have released a profile of a suspect in the recent attempted child abductions, of which there have been eight since Monday.

According to the report, the suspect is a 30-year-old white male with blonde, ear-length or longer hair. He has blue eyes, average build and weight and may have a “couple-day” beard growth.

He may drive a older model red pickup truck that has a shiny silver bumper and white tailgates.

Police suspect he approached at least two children in the last five days and asked if they needed a ride.

Champaign Police encourage anyone with information about this suspect or any of the other attempted abductions to call the police department at 217-351-4545 or Crime Stoppers at 317-TIPS. Information can also be emailed to www.373tips.com or texting the keyword CCTIP to 274637.

Three attempted kidnappings were reported Friday:

* According to the report, a 13-year-old girl was stopped in the area of Bradley Avenue and Bloomington Road, although she could not identify the exact location, at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Two adult white male suspects in a red truck asked her if she wanted a ride. She did not respond and kept walking, and the suspects drove away without further contact.

* A 9-year-old boy was stopped by a white male suspect in a van near Hollycrest Drive and William Street at 2:09 p.m. Thursday. The suspect approached the boy after he got off a bus and his friends went home and offered him candy. The boy ran from the scene, and the suspect did not chase him. The suspect is described as tall and skinny with shoulder-length hair.

* A 10-year-old boy was stopped by a male in a red truck with silver bumpers and dents on the passenger’s side. The suspect asked the boy if he needed a ride, and the boy ran away. The suspect is described as white male in his 40s with long blonde hair and a short brown or blonde beard.