Troyer’s resignation raises more questions

Seven months after two anonymous emails were sent from her computer and two days after President Robert Easter officially transitioned into his position, the University announced the resignation of Michael Hogan’s former chief of staff, Lisa Troyer. The emails, which Troyer denies she sent, tried to influence a University Senates Conference decision to not hasten to a consensus on Hogan’s enrollment management plan. Troyer signed the resignation agreement June 19, and it was just officiated by the University.

Prior to her resignation, Troyer was set to be a psychology professor of three classes, a position she was given following her resignation as chief of staff in January. As part of her resignation, effective Aug. 15, she will be paid a $175,000 severance. The agreement relieves her of any wrongdoing she may have committed at the University and any wage claims she had. She is also not allowed to defame the University orally or in writing. Several other campus officials, including the President, chancellor and incoming provost, are similarly advised to not make any defamatory statements about Troyer.

All the while, Easter has said one of the main missions is to bring more stability to the University, which has been clouded with a great number of scandals over the past few years. Past University presidents Hogan and B. Joseph White received tenured faculty positions after they resigned, just as Troyer did. Following that pattern, then, it would seem that Troyer would have kept her position, but it remains to be said why she resigned.

Most curious, though, is that Troyer decided to resign after she adamantly denied being the author of the anonymous emails, battled a month’s pay that the University had not paid her and vied for a teaching position.

Her resignation may have been a way for the University to trim away the fat of its previous scandals, but more so, it seems to be a way of fogging up an administration that tends away from transparency.