Illini softball endures tough start to new year

By Cole Henke

The Illini softball team started the season with a 1-4 record after its opening weekend — the worst opening weekend record in team history. It is quite the contrast to last season, when the Illini posted the best start in team history (8-0).

Head coach Terri Sullivan was disappointed about the weekend, but still thinks she saw improvement.

“If you judge a team by how they do in their first weekend, then we wouldn’t be doing what we do,” Sullivan said.

Of the Illini’s four opponents, only one (Georgia) was from a power conference.

The Illini not only started the season on a rough note, they also consistently found themselves behind early in most of their games.

Illinois did not hold a lead in a game until the first inning of Sunday’s matchup with Coppin State. Pitching was a major contributor to this problem. Senior Shelese Arnold struggled this weekend, surrendering at least one run in the first two innings of each of her three starts.

Offensive and defensive struggles

The Illini were outscored on the weekend 26-20, but that number is misleading due to the 13-0 victory over Coppin State. In their four losses, the Illini were outscored 26-7. Junior second baseman Allie Bauch said the team is searching for some consistency on the offensive end.

“We just have to be more consistent,” Bauch said. “You don’t get away with mistakes against top teams like Georgia and Murray State.”

Through five games, the Illini’s team batting average is sitting at .246, compared to their opponents’ .287.

The offensive struggles have stemmed from not getting hits at the right time. The team put runners on base, but couldn’t bring them home. The Illini left 30 runners on base over five games. Sullivan was disappointed in her team’s offensive effort.

“We couldn’t get the clutch hits when we needed to,” Sullivan said. “You can’t win games when you can’t get it done on either end.”

Illinois set a school record last season for double plays turned, but defense was not a strong point this past weekend. The Illini committed five errors, and five of the runs scored by the Illini’s opponents were unearned.

Cole can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @cole_Henke.