Kendrick Nunn pleads guilty to battery

Kendrick Nunn and the Illini got off to a good start in the Big Ten Tournament, beating Minnesota 85-52 in Wednesday’s game.

By Masaki Sugimoto, Editor-in-Chief

Illinois basketball’s Kendrick Nunn plead guilty to a class A misdemeanor of domestic battery on Wednesday.

Nunn turned himself in to Champaign Police on March 17 after a warrant was out for his arrest for two charges of domestic battery. He was later suspended indefinitely from the team.

Nunn will serve in the second-chance program according to the State’s attorney’s office. The 18-month program requires that he serves 100 hours of community service, participates in a partner abuse intervention program, writes an apology letter and pays a $200 fine.

Athletic department spokesperson Kent Brown said Nunn’s status remains unchanged until head coach John Groce and athletic director Josh Whitman review it.

Whitman is at Big Ten meetings in Chicago and Groce just returned from the meetings.

There is no timetable for when a decision will be made.

Nunn is one of four Illinois players to be arrested in the last year 

Leron Black pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor earlier this month and was reinstated to the team but will serve a six-game suspension.

Nunn averaged 15.5 points, 5 rebounds in 28 games for the Illini last season. Nunn missed five games last season due to injury and one because of the birth of his child.

@MasakiSugimoto