buzz calendar 2.18 – 2.21

By Rukayah Hussein, buzz calendar editor

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening around the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks in Monday’s and Thursday’s papers for activities to do on any night, from places to eat to things to watch. 

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected] or message us on Facebook.

Thursday, Feb. 18 

Contemporary Conversations: Blue Light Boogie

4 – 5:30 p.m.

A virtual event hosted by Spurlock Museum 

Free

“Blue Light Boogie — Examining Blues Dance” is a panel discussion about blues dancing, presented as part of Spurlock Museum’s Contemporary Conversations program series and in connection with our exhibit, Blues Dancing and Its African American Roots. Panelists include Sara Cherny (moderator, co-director of Bluetopia), Grey Armstrong (founder of Obsidian Tea: A Blackness and Blues Blog), Katrina Rogers (director, The Throwdown) and Chrisi Jay Wells (assistant professor of musicology at Arizona State University’s School of Music). A Q&A will follow the panel discussion.

Friday, Feb. 19 

Champaign County Forest Preserve District Snowflake Search

All Day

Champaign County Forest Preserves, 109 S. Lake of the Woods Road, Mahomet, IL 

Free

Get out and explore your local winter wonderland in search of snowflakes! The CCFPD, along with the Museum of the Grand Prairie and Homer Lake Interpretive Center, have hidden 30 creative snowflakes and winter fun facts throughout Champaign County Forest Preserves. Can you find them all? Bundle up and find as many as you can! Please take a picture of your finds and share them on Facebook and Instagram pages using the hashtag #CCFPDSnowflakeSearch. 

Yoga at KAM: Virtual Edition 

12 p.m.

A virtual event hosted by Krannert Art Museum

Free  

Enjoy a free weekly yoga practice, presented online by Krannert Art Museum and taught by Jodi Adams, certified yoga instructor and Ayurveda specialist.

Saturday, Feb. 20 

Champaign-Urbana Winter Farmers Market 

8 – 11 a.m.

Lincoln Square, 201 Lincoln Square, Urbana

Free

Shop from all of your favorite local craft, food and farm vendors indoors at Lincoln Square Mall. Masks and social distancing will be required in the space, and limits on the number of shoppers that can be in the market area at the same time will be in effect.

Sunday, Feb. 21

Dee Dee Bridgewater: C-U Jazz Master

3 – 5 p.m.

A virtual event hosted by Allerton Park and Retreat Center 

$10 

Perfect for jazz lovers, this virtual event will wow you with insight about the impressive vocal chameleon, Dee Dee Bridgewater, an enchanting singer whose voice is playful, irreverent, soulful and tender. Join us in celebrating Black History Month by honoring, uplifting and helping tell the stories of Black voices in our communities.