Best of CU | Best Liquor Store: Illini Pantry

The+Illini+Pantry+glows+during+the+night+on+sixth+street+on+March+23.+
Candice Zhou
The Illini Pantry glows during the night on sixth street on March 23.

In the Champaign-Urbana area, where academia meets agriculture, Best Liquor Store might just be the biggest no-brainer category out there. 

As one of the top party schools in the nation, students need to find their buzz somewhere, and the overwhelming majority chose to crown Illini Pantry their winner, a beloved liquor store known for its impressive assortment of refreshments and welcoming atmosphere. 

Open from 10 a.m. until midnight every day, this store is more than just a place to buy alcohol — it’s an orange-and-blue haven for beverage enthusiasts where the beers stay cold forever, the wine selection rivals that of a Napa Valley connoisseur and the spirits can rejuvenate even the most defeated and lonely of students.

As soon as you set foot in this mystical building, you will be overwhelmed by row after row of bottles, fridges full of cans and six-packs stacked sky-high. The knowledgeable staff at Illini Pantry are like the fairy godparents of alcohol, ready to wave their magic wands and guide you to your perfect drink. 

Near the front of the store, Illini Pantry has a wide array of snacks perfectly suited to cure all your hangover cravings. Behind the counter, an extensive collection of vaping gadgets and accessories awaits your discovery. Finally, if you’re looking for a keepsake to cherish and pass on to future generations, consider acquiring a set of souvenir shot glasses.

All of this, of course, only if you’re 21 or over. Be sure to bring your ID, and perhaps a map — because with this crazy selection, you might just get lost in the aisles.