Best of CU | Best Off-Campus Bar: Rose Bowl Tavern

Matt Stepp
Patrons sit inside The Rose Bowl Tavern on Race Street, and order drinks on a Friday night in Urbana on March 2. Rose Bowl Tavern often hosts musical acts on their stage.

No — KAMS, Joe’s Brewery and The Red Lion did not meet the requirements to win the best off-campus bar. Luckily, there are a plethora of great off-campus bars up for this year’s nomination for this award. Champaign-Urbana locals and students cast their votes on what they believed to be the best off-campus bar. 

Coming in first place is the Rose Bowl Tavern. Located at 106 N. Race St., the tavern has been known for its honkey-tonk and dive-bar style since 1946. It is also known for its live music and lively atmosphere. 

It comes as no surprise that the Rose Bowl Tavern is beloved by the community because of its packed event calendar, including multiple performances or activities every night. From live performances to trivia nights to open-mic nights, there is no shortage of fun to be had at the tavern. 

Not only is the Rose Bowl Tavern known for its lively environment and packed calendar, but it is also known for its diverse drinks menu. The best part about its menu is that there is something for everyone. Whether you like beer, wine, cocktails, or CBD and nonalcoholic drinks, it has it all. 

With that being said, grab your friends or family and head over to the Rose Bowl Tavern to enjoy the best the C-U community has to offer.