Illinois State Representative Bob Morgan speaks to a crowd of Jewish students in front of the Illini Union on the Main Quad on May 6.
Angel Saldivar

Live Coverage: State representative statements surround day 9 of encampment

BSW drills shut Foellinger Auditorium windows Monday evening.
UPDATE: 7:03 p.m.

The windows on the north side of Foellinger Auditorium were bolted shut after faculty members and police removed the banners that were hung through the windows by the members of the encampment. 

The banners were hung at the beginning of the rally, at approximately 5 p.m. 

The banner that was hung on the east window read “we won’t stop” and the one hung on the west window read “until you divest.”

BSW drills shut Foellinger Auditorium windows Monday evening. (Angel Saldivar)
Students taking graduation photos in front of Foellinger Auditorium, a sign in the background states, “We won’t stop.”
UPDATE: May 6, 6:45 p.m.

The University chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine held a rally titled “Hands Off Rafah: Solidarity with our Students” on the ninth day of the encampment on the Main Quad.

The rally began a little after 5 p.m., lasting about an hour. Encampment protestors repeated chants as they gathered around the UIUC Liberation Zone sign to listen to several speakers.

“Chancellor Jones, you’re a sellout, pack your bags and get the hell out,” protesters chanted. 

Multiple faculty and community members spoke at the rally, along with students from SJP and the Muslim Action Committee. 

One faculty member spoke about the late professor Dr. Irfan Ahmad, assistant dean for research at Carle Illinois College of Medicine, and his support of the protesters near the end of his life.

“On the very last day of his life he devoted his time — not to him, not to his scholarship, not to all of the many projects that I learned he was involved in — he spent his time with his students trying to talk to admin,” a faculty member said.

Another University faculty member mentioned similarities between the ongoing protest and student protests during the Vietnam War.

Student representatives for SJP spoke on their feelings toward University administration following canceled negotiations with Chancellor Jones and “a blatant attempt to intimidate student negotiators” through meetings with Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success Jim Hintz and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Success Domonic Cobb.

“Chancellor Jones has continuously prioritized his own optics over the state of his campus, and his desire to not mirror the responses of UCLA and Columbia superseded his desire to create positive change,” a student representative for SJP said.

There was police presence at the rally, as a small group of officers were seen behind Foellinger Auditorium during the event.

Throughout the rally, University students continued to take graduate pictures on the stairs of Foellinger. 

Banners were hung on the side of the building by members of the encampment, with the first reading “we won’t stop” while the second read “until you divest.” The banners were removed shortly after 6 p.m.

After the conclusion of the rally, more tents were constructed to add to the encampment. The total number of tents on the quad currently stands close to 50, including the two medic tents that have been constructed directly in front of Foellinger Auditorium.

Students taking graduation photos in front of Foellinger Auditorium, a sign in the background states, “We won’t stop.” (James Hoeck)
Members of the protest listen to speakers at the encampment on Monday.
May 6, 6 p.m.

Representatives from the encampment distributed a statement to members of the press and passersby at around 5:16 p.m. Monday evening.

The statement, entitled “​​Students demand accountability from the University administration for their complicity in the genocide in Palestine and bad-faith negotiation tactics with protestors seeking divestment,” was four pages in length and gave a synopsis of the encampment beginning from its original establishment at the Alma Mater statue on Friday, April 26. 

The statement also outlined, from the protesters’ perspective, a negotiation meeting held between members of the encampment and Chancellor Jones on Saturday, May 4.

Read a full summary of the statement here.

Members of the protest listen to speakers at the encampment on Monday. (Angel Saldivar)
University faculty member speaks in front of protestors on the south side of the Main Quad.
UPDATE: May 6, 5:30 p.m.

During SJP’s rally on the Main Quad on Monday titled “Hands off Rafah: Solidarity with our Students,” The Daily Illini spoke with a University faculty member who wished to remain anonymous for safety concerns.

**This interview has been edited for length and clarity.**

DI: Could you tell me a little bit about why you are out here with the rest of the faculty members today?

Faculty member: I’m out here for several different reasons. One is to support students that are in the encampment, who are trying to challenge the ongoing genocide in Gaza and elsewhere. Another is to keep the spotlight on what’s going on in Palestine, particularly in Rafah.

I’m here to call on the higher administration to honor their promises to meet with the students, to listen to them and to find a way to divest our institution of higher learning from supporting the war machines in those lands.

The last reason is to ensure that the students who are taking up this noble cause are not in any way punished for doing so. 

DI: Have you been a part of the conversations with the administration and the students?

Faculty member: I have.

DI: And how do you think those are going currently?

Faculty member: We are discouraged that the administration has repeatedly failed to meet with the students after making promises to do so. 

DI: How do you feel about the state representatives coming in today with the Jewish community?

Faculty member: I do want to say this: I think there are plenty of Jewish students that are in these encampments and they support this cause.

I think it’s a misrepresentation to suggest that there’s some kind of clear binary between those of us who are supporting this and those who are trying to “protect the Jewish students from harm or harassment” — that’s not clear. At least it’s not neat. Indeed, there’s a long history of critical Jewish dissent, and several Jewish colleagues and students who support us.

DI: Have you seen any sort of progress in the conversations with Jim Hintz?

Faculty member: I mean, I’m glad to see the police aren’t around like they were last Friday. It was a rather surreal experience to see several different police forces encircle families, people engaged in prayer and students engaged in non-violent protest.

So yeah, there’s been progress in that respect. The camps are still here, and there’s been no move to push them off yet.

That said, I really want to reiterate this — we need upper administration, whom Hintz and others are in conversation with, to honor their agreements to meet with the students of SJP. 

DI: How did you gain the students’ trust with you being here? What was the process like of you joining the students’ side?

Faculty member: Not sure what you’re asking me there. I mean, I show up — I guess the best way to put it; I listen to them. I respect them. I work with them closely.

University faculty member speaks in front of protestors on the south side of the Main Quad. (Anh-Khoi Pham)
UPDATE: May 6, 3:21 p.m.

Students for Justice in Palestine UIUC and UIUC Faculty for Justice in Palestine released an Instagram statement calling for a rally at 5 p.m. on the Main Quad. 

The post reads “Hands off Rafah! Solidarity with our students.”

The Jewish community wearing Israel flags during the gathering where Illinois state representatives gave speeches.
UPDATE: May 6, 12:48 p.m.

Mordy Cadaner, rabbinic intern at Illini Chabad, provided The Daily Illini with a comment on the state representative’s speeches. 

DI: Can you tell us why you guys invited state representatives down here?

Cadaner: I wasn’t really involved in the decision-making of that. I’m here like every other student. I think it was just to give clarity and to reassure our students that (we are doing) everything in our ability — including the leadership of the Jewish community here and the University — to ensure a safe and peaceful environment for all students here. 

DI: State Representatives met with administration earlier today, what are your hopes that come out of that conversation again?

Cadaner: Just clarity and making sure that the University is not being blindsided or whatever by personal vendettas and making sure that they’re sticking to school policies and again peaceful environments for everyone to live happily and safely in our campus.

The Jewish community wearing Israel flags during the gathering where Illinois state representatives gave speeches. (James Hoeck)
Tracy Katz Muhl speaks to a member of the Jewish community on Monday.
UPDATE: May 6, 12:45 p.m.

Illinois State Representatives Bob Morgan, Daniel Didech and Tracy Katz Muhl gave a press conference at the north end of the Main Quad in solidarity with Jewish students at the University. 

The Daily Illini spoke with Tracy Katz Muhl, representative of the 57th District, who gave a comment on the encampment and conversations with University administration. 

DI: You met with the University administration earlier, can you tell me a little bit about the conversations that you had with them?

Muhl: The administration invited the three of us this morning to go over how things have unrolled, their security plans and their graduation plans. That’s front of mind for the families back home in the district. We get a lot of messages right now asking for a safe and meaningful graduation for the students who missed it during COVID-19. I was happy to hear that that’s already happened at the Chicago campus.

DI: How do you feel about the encampment that has been going on on campus for the past week?

Muhl: I respect and honor all students’ right to protest both sides of the lawn here and count on the University to enforce the safety rules that they put in place to make sure everybody can do that properly.

Tracy Katz Muhl speaks to a member of the Jewish community on Monday. (Angel Saldivar)
UPDATE: May 6, 12:42 p.m.
UPDATE: May 6, 12:42 p.m.

The Daily Illini spoke with Morgan, representative for the 58th District, about antisemitism on university campuses and his conversations with the University administration.

DI: What made you come down here today?

Morgan: As a U of I grad, I always want to come to campus, but in particular, since October 7, it’s been very difficult. Over the last six years since I’ve been the state representative, there have been a number of antisemitic incidents on campus — antisemitism happening outside of the classroom and more troubling inside the classroom. We’ve been working closely with University leaders, Hillel and Chabad to make sure we’re supporting any way we can. A lot of Jewish students that I hear from and their families are concerned about campus, concerned about finals, concerned about commencement and concerned about the world. It’s a little thing just showing up, but showing solidarity is something that we were able to do on our way to Springfield.  

DI: You guys met with the University administration earlier. Can you tell me about those conversations you had?

Morgan: Without getting into specifics, we’ve had a lot of conversations over the last six years with the University, and I would say our message has been pretty consistent: reassuring the safety of Jewish students in the classroom first, on campus as well and doing what we can to make sure we are protecting students and protecting free speech, which at this moment is sometimes challenging. Commencement is again on the minds of a lot of families around not just the U of I campus but around the country, and just making sure the University is planning for that and doing its part to make sure Jewish students are feeling safe. 

DI: Did you guys talk about the encampment during your meeting with the administration?

Morgan: Not particularly. Again, this is about Jewish students feeling safe on campus; that’s why we’re here. We can only do so much as people who are not students but people who are here to bring the weight of legislature and elected officials who are Jewish to show that we are paying attention and we care; we are thinking of them and showing them they are not alone. I remember — as a Jewish student — when the Intifada broke out, and there were very significant protests that happened on campus. There were Israeli flags that were burned and sprayed with red paint, there was a casket of a pretend baby carried around the campus, there were a lot of chants that were very harmful and there were swastikas that were put on campus. I remember what that feels like, and I remember the benefit and the importance of having those around me demonstrating that they’re there to support me and show that support; that’s what we’re doing. 

State Representative Daniel Didech speaks to Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel in front of the Union on Monday.
UPDATE: May 6, 12:37 p.m.

At noon, Illinois State Representatives Bob Morgan, Daniel Didech and Tracy Katz Muhl gave a press conference at the north side of the Main Quad to express solidarity for Jewish students at the University. 

The Daily Illini spoke with Daniel Didech, representative for the 59th District, about his views on University administration, the encampment and the role of First Amendment rights in protests.

DI: What was the reason for you coming down to Champaign-Urbana? 

Didech: We are here today to show support for really the entire University community, but specifically the Jewish community that, not just in Illinois, but across the country, has been alarmed by the rise in some of the uncontrollable campus demonstrations.

So we’re here to lend our voices to the University administration and the faculty and the students to express our beliefs that we can respect the First Amendment rights of all students to make their voices heard. But, at the same time, everybody has to follow the University policies, and there should be consequences for people who don’t follow the University policies.

DI: You met with the administration earlier before your press conference, can you tell me a little bit about what you talked about?

Didech: We, myself as a legislator and the entire Jewish caucus, have a relationship with the administration that we consider a partnership. We’ve met with them at least half a dozen times over the past few years to talk about the rise of antisemitism on campus and what they can do and how we can be partners in addressing that. It’s the same thing we talked about today. 

How can we continue to allow Universities to be a place where people can speak their minds and persuade people and have their voices heard, but without turning it into an environment where Jewish students and their parents feel like it’s not safe for them to be on campus. 

That is the continuing conversation that we are involved in with the University administration today.

DI: At the press conference, students representatives of Jews from Palestine are here holding signs. Can you give me a statement about that?

Didech: They absolutely have the right, just like anybody else, to make their voices heard and to advocate for a cause that’s important to them. But, we have to make sure that everybody has those rights, right?

You know, some of the problems we’ve seen on other campuses with these permanent encampments is they monopolize the public forums — you’re only allowed to express your views if they fall within what that group believes is the correct view. I think we need to avoid it here at the University of Illinois.

It is absolutely legitimate. I think this is the right place for people who feel that way about an international conflict to express their views, but people who feel a different way should have the same right to express their views as well. Or even if they don’t want to express their views, they should be able to do what they need to do without a constant stream of disruption.

State Representative Daniel Didech speaks to Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel in front of the Union on Monday. (Angel Saldivar)
UPDATE: May 6, 12:04 p.m.
UPDATE: May 6, 12:04 p.m.

Jews for Palestine released a statement expressing their solidarity with the Palestinian people and discussed their experience at the encampment.

“We believe the core of our tradition as Jews is the sacredness of life … As Jews, we reject the disingenuous conflation of anti-Zionism with antisemitism,” the statement said. “To critique the Jewish ethno-nationalist state is to condemn all forms of supremacy and hierarchy.” 

Within the encampment, Jews for Palestine said they have spent the past week building an alternative Jewish perspective “grounded in principles of solidarity, liberation and tikkun olam (repairing the world).” 

They disputed claims that the liberation zone exists to intimidate Jewish students by providing examples of community within the encampment. 

“Within the UIUC Liberation Zone we celebrated Passover, observed Shabbat, prayed alongside our Muslim siblings and felt uplifted by our fellow students and community members,” the statement said. 

“Claims that the UIUC Liberation Zone exists to intimidate or instill fear in Jewish students are not reflective of the experiences of Jewish students within the encampment,” the statement said. 

Jews for Palestine also spoke out against Zionism and advocated for the self-determination of all oppressed groups. 

“Zionism perpetuates a dangerous myth that Jewish safety is tied to the establishment of a Jewish state in historic Palestine,” the statement said. “We must oppose all attempts to justify Israel’s abusive and discriminatory treatment of Palestinians.” 

The statement ended by echoing the protester’s demands that the University divests from companies profiting from the war in Gaza, disclose all investments and offer amnesty to protesters. 

UPDATE: May 6, 7 a.m.

Today, Students for Justice in Palestine posted a timeline of their attempts to negotiate with University administrators on Instagram.

According to the SJP Instagram, on April 28, the Popular University for Gaza was reinstated on the Main Quad. At 5 p.m., tents were set up with negotiations following soon after. Administrators later canceled a meeting with student organizers that was scheduled for Monday.

On April 29 through May 2, student negotiators spoke with administration representatives such as Associate Vice Chancellor Jim Hintz and Assistant Vice Chancellor Domonic Cobb; however, administrators refused to meet with students until the Popular University was taken down. Protesters remained posted on the Main Quad.

According to the Instagram post, “The administration relented and dropped most conditions for a meeting with Chancellor Jones. However, two stipulations remained: only negotiators could know about the meeting and faculty representatives were not allowed.”

On May 3, Dr. Irfan Ahmad, assistant dean for research at Carle Illinois College of Medicine and a supporter of the movement, passed away. Students met with Chancellor Jones, Provost John Coleman and Vice Chancellor Danita Brown Young. After two hours of negotiations, Jones offered to schedule a meeting with the University of Illinois Foundation leadership, in which student organizers could propose an investment policy statement on divesting.

According to the post, “the chancellor commended student advocacy for Palestinian liberation, honoring Dr. Ahmad’s legacy.”

On May 4, Hintz and Cobb invited student negotiators to a meeting, where the student negotiators were handed two documents: one consisting of sections from the student code and the other being a draft of a statement announcing a planned meeting within the coming week.

Administration clarified that they were planning on using it in response to any inquiry they might receive regarding the validity of the planned meeting but not publishing it publicly. 

According to the post, “The newly drafted statement mentioned that Chancellor Jones would schedule a follow-up meeting between the student negotiators and the University of Illinois Foundation CEO as well as the University of Illinois System CFO.”

On May 5, Jones, Coleman and Brown Young requested an emergency meeting. Jones informed SJP that he had decided to cancel the meeting due to a miscommunication. Jones said the meeting was never about negotiating for divestment. 

According to the post, “Jones later claimed he wanted to ‘give this one more run’ and attempt to schedule a meeting with President Killeen. If he was unsuccessful, he advised the student negotiators that it is the ‘quality of good leaders to know how to deliver bad news to their constituents.’”

The SJP Instagram post stated that the protest will persist and continue to fight for divestment and a liberated Palestine.