Best of CU | Best Breakfast Place: Merry-Ann’s Diner

Anika Khandavalli
An assortment of hash browns, toast, pancakes, sausage, eggs and more from Merry-Ann’s Diner, taken at the classic breakfast time of 12:30 a.m.

Every city in America needs, nay, deserves a good breakfast spot. Luckily, the residents of Champaign-Urbana can rest assured they have one in Merry Ann’s Diner, located on Neil Street and Kirby Avenue.

If you’re looking for a classic American diner that’s open 24 hours with friendly staff and delicious food, Merry Ann’s Diner is the place to be. Warm, fluffy and freshly made pancakes, waffles and French toast complement the savory sausage patties and crispy bacon, but the diner’s menu also covers more than just breakfast, which gives the experience some versatility.

Just craving something sweet, like a milkshake? Look no further than Merry Ann’s Diner. In need of a bite on a late night out? Merry Ann’s Diner. Hoping to recover from that late night out with a hearty breakfast the next morning? Merry Ann’s Diner. 

Not to mention that the diner itself has a warm, cozy atmosphere that will transport any customer back to the ’80s in a heartbeat.

As a staple of Campustown and the C-U area as a whole, there’s a reason why Merry Ann’s Diner is still taking home the award for Best Breakfast Place over 40 years after it opened in 1983.