Best of CU | Best On-Campus Workout Spot: ARC

Isaac Pinkus
Students lift weights in the Activities and Recreation Center on East Peabody Drive on Feb. 26.

While there are multiple gyms located across campus, the ARC has a large number of traditional equipment, as well as several other amenities that make it the favorite place to work out among the Champaign-Urbana community. 

On the lower level of the ARC is the weightlifting area, which consists of a wide selection of machines for targeting upper and lower body strength, as well as racquetball and squash courts. 

Above the lower level is the concourse level, where you can find locker rooms as well as the indoor and outdoor pools open for students seeking an escape from the heat in the summer and fall months.

The over 35-foot-tall climbing wall can be entered on the concourse level as well and is designed to be accessible for beginners and challenging for experienced climbers.

The entrance level has multiple gyms that can host either basketball or volleyball courts and six multi-purpose rooms. Finally, the upper level has a one-fifth mile track that loops around cardio machines and additional weights. 

The ARC, one of the largest recreational facilities in the country, offers students a wide variety of options for how they choose to stay active.