Best of CU | Best Chinese food: Chopstix

Matt Stepp
Orange Chicken and white rice from Chopstix on Green Street in Champaign.

To University students, Chopstix is an all-hours oasis of flavorful sustenance. Featuring a massive Chinese menu and a simple exterior, this unassuming haunt is a campus icon for good reason — it serves up delicious food on a short timeline. 

Chopstix’s General Tso’s tofu, with its flavorful breading and satisfyingly sweet sauce, is an iconic on-campus vegetarian option. With a crispy, triangular exterior and a decadent filling, the restaurant’s crab rangoon satiates a craving for something both sweet and savory.

Chopstix appetizers are perpetually warm and crisp out of the fryer, so patrons do not need to worry about inconsistency when seeking a late-night nibble. The fried rice is wildly popular and has solidified this restaurant as a campus staple. For meat enthusiasts, the Chinese spot also has a myriad of delectable options. 

This hole-in-the-wall on Green Street is regularly seen with lines out the door for takeout orders on most late evenings. With its late hours and prime location, Chopstix is a legendary campus favorite — its high-quality menu items and accommodating hours are exactly why students keep stumbling back.