Best of CU | Best House Show Venue: The Barn

Matt Stepp
Kloe, a band from the Chicago Suburbs, performs at “Barn Fest” at The Barn. The Barn packed its living room, filling to capacity on March 24.

House shows are an integral part of the Champaign-Urbana community. They not only serve as a space for socialization and partying but also further the proud musical history of the area.

The Barn, a relatively new location, has taken the scene by storm, putting on consistently good shows and fostering a fun, safe environment for lovers of various genres. You can often find beloved local acts such as Bum Rush, Venus Overdrive and 4×4 Animal Style performing at this Urbana venue.

The location has a unique aesthetic that blends retro technologies like CRT TVs with more modern stage-design elements. This is also a location that puts on shows more than most, with a scheduled slate of performances almost every weekend. The Barn also livestreams all of its shows on YouTube, so you can be there in spirit if you are unable to go in person.

With the level of care put into the overall production, programming and safety at the venue, it has quickly become a fan-favorite location for music lovers in C-U. With great music, drinks and people, The Barn is always a fun time.