Best of CU | Best Local Band: Venus Overdrive

Matt Stepp
Venus Overdrive, a Champaign-native band, performs before Kangaroo Court takes the stage at the Rose Bowl Tavern in Urbana on Nov. 4.

The band scene in Urbana has produced many popular groups, the most iconic of which is American Football — the band’s first album cover featured a house on High Street in Urbana and is now a popular site for visitors. Most recently, the scene has produced Kangaroo Court, which is now based in Chicago. Kangaroo Court shows no signs of stopping with its 2023 debut album “This is Kangaroo Court.” 

With so many venues to choose from, such as the Powder Room, The Canopy Club and Rose Bowl Tavern, it’s no wonder so many bands sprout from central Illinois. These venues also provide numerous opportunities to find your new favorite local band, with Venus Overdrive at the top of the list.

Venus Overdrive’s music is perhaps best described as genre-bending; it defies traditional categories and draws inspiration from indie to rock to pop sounds. Consisting of vocalist Marieli Lopez, guitarist Alexander Ishmael and drummer Ava Stanhope, the group was founded in the fall of 2022 and performed at Pygmalion last fall. Keep your eyes peeled for this dynamic trio by following the band on Instagram — @venusoverdrive — or checking out your next local house show on a Friday night!