Best of CU | Best Mural/Artwork: ‘Alma Mater’ on Skyline Tower

Anh-Khoi Pham
The mural of Alma Mater on Skyline Tower peeks out from adjacent buildings, as seen towering over Green Street on Feb. 25.

Walk down Green Street, pass by the Skyline Tower and look up. You’re looking at the “Alma Mater” mural created by Chicago artist Levar Hoard. The artwork was painted by muralists Ryan “Yanoe” Sarfati and Eric “Zoueh” Skotnes. 

Looming at a staggering 160 feet, the mural basks in the orange glow of the setting sun from its prominent position. Cast behind the “Alma Mater” is a vivid blue and orange cloudscape. Florals and orange drapery billow around the statue and a violet helical structure crowns its head. 

The grandiose mural stands out among the otherwise gray, familiar streets of Campustown. The splash of teal, violet, orange and blue against the cement walls of the Skyline Tower brings life to its surroundings, just as the students bring life to the streets of Campustown.

Among both the aged and modern buildings that coexist on the University’s campus, the mural acts as a bridge between the University’s past and present. The magnificent “Alma Mater” mural truly resembles the energy of the campus community. It is only fitting that the mural lies on Green Street, arguably the biggest center of campus life.

While vibrant crowds of students walk down Green Street, the mural, a distinguishable landmark of Champaign-Urbana, breathes spirit into Campustown.