Best of CU | Best Off-Campus Study Spot: The Literary

Candice Zhou
A tablet and a cup of coffee in The Literary on March 23.

Campustown is a self-sustaining ecosystem for students who do not wish to venture beyond the comfort of Green Street. However, if one is interested in exploring the mysterious depths of Champaign-Urbana, The Literary is the people’s princess for the best off-campus study spot. 

Located on the 100 block of Neil Street in downtown Champaign, The Literary is the synergy of four concepts — books, brunch, bar and café. You can truly have your cake here and eat it too. The interior is artistic yet cozy, with tons of tables and couches for studying or a chat with friends. Fun paintings adorn the walls, and there are plenty of spots for outlets. However, be sure to get here early, as the popularity of The Literary causes seats to fill up quickly, especially on the weekends.

Furthermore, the bookstore-café combo is a place for the community to gather and come together over shared interests. The Literary hosts story times for children, tea parties, comedy nights and author visits throughout the week. Evoking the memory of salons and coffeehouses from the past, this place is a must-visit for anyone with — or without — assignments due tonight at 11:59 p.m.