Best of CU | Best Secret Spot: Steam tunnels

Anika Khandavalli
The darkness of the underground tunnel network leading from Bevier Hall toward Turner Hall on March 1. They connect several campus buildings to each other.

To escape the hustle and bustle of life on a college campus, it’s essential to find a secret spot to decompress. 

This year, the steam tunnels have taken the cake for Best Secret Spot. Originally built to house the steam pipe system, the tunnels run underneath campus and connect many buildings. 

While the tunnels with active steam pipes are not accessible to the general public, the tunnels that connect Bevier Hall, Turner Hall and Edward Madigan Laboratory to the Institute for Genomic Biology, and the Roger Adams Laboratory to the Chemistry Annex and Noyes Laboratory are open to the public. The Chemistry Annex tunnel also features a stairwell in which people throughout the years have signed their names on the wall. 

Additionally, a tunnel that connects the Armory to Huff Hall is accessible for all University athletes. 

Information regarding the tunnels is not widely known, and therefore there is rarely a lot of foot traffic. During the colder months, the steam tunnels are a welcoming system that allows students to escape the cold while walking to their classes. The serenity and privacy of the tunnels provide a quiet place year-round for students to escape the chaos that is college life.