Best of CU | Best Small Business (TIE): Plant Mode

Jacob Slabosz
Plant Mode, a quaint houseplant store located in the heart of downtown Champaign, on March 8. In addition to the stocked plants, the shop accepts special requests for specific varieties.

As you waltz through downtown Champaign, you might be intrigued to wander into Plant Mode — a recent addition to the vibrant collection of small off-campus businesses throughout Champaign-Urbana. 

As you step through the glass doors into the budding plant store, you are immediately transported into a psychedelic jungle paradise marked with eclectic wall art with a wide variety of well-maintained plants and locally designed T-shirts. All of these items are carefully curated and reasonably priced by the owner, who opened Plant Mode in order to serve his hometown community.

The wide variety of plants is categorized by traits such as toxicity for pets and the necessary quantity of light. Guests are encouraged to seek guidance from the owner, who normally manages the front desk, accepting special orders and offering support for new plant adopters.

Alongside plants, the new shop boasts good vibes. Surrounded by the warm light and bright colors permeating Plant Mode, customers are likely to feel rejuvenated and inspired by their surroundings.

Plant Mode’s recent introduction into the zeitgeist of plant stores in the community was immediately well received, with a rapidly developing and growing base of customers.