Best of CU | Best University Library: Main Library

Olivia McAfoos
Priyal Patel, senior in LAS, studies at the Main Library. The Main Library is a popular spot for studying with its many rooms and floors.

Whether you’re at the Orange Room having a snack while listening to a lecture or at the Reading Room pretending to be part of “The Tortured Poets Department,” the Main Library is the place to be. 

Founded in 1924, the Main Library has become the default library since the Undergraduate Library closed for renovations in 2022. As the second-largest university library collection in the country, the Main Library serves as the emblematic face of the University library network. 

Nestled in the heart of campus, it’s a close walk from most academic buildings. It offers four floors of different study spaces and multiple resources for student success. 

Not only is the library’s interior a great space, but its exterior complements the aesthetics. A stellar example of the Georgian revival style, its majestic architecture invites you in at first glance. At the east entrance, limestone statues — posing like students during finals week — welcome all to the building.

Most importantly, the Main Library caters to every student’s needs. From a private space to yell over the upcoming midterm with your study group, to a quiet place to stare at stained glass and wonder who you’ll be after graduation, this library has range.

Ultimately, the Main Library is the epitome of an academic hub, which is why it’s no wonder it’s been chosen as the best.