Best of CU | Best Vegetarian Food: The Red Herring

Isaac Pinkus
The Red Herring stands tall on the corner of South Mathews Avenue and West Oregon Street on March 24. The restaurant is currently closed for the season.

With its iconic deep red trimmings and sprawling English ivy, The Red Herring is not hard to miss. Located at 1209 W. Oregon St. and founded in 1967, the restaurant was created as a student cafe and a space to cultivate activism during the Vietnam War.

Its founders called it The Red Herring because the anti-government effort at the time was often categorized derogatorily as “red.” Inside, the walls are coated with murals expressing messages of hope and inspiring social change. 

The not-for-profit establishment has cultivated an intertwined history of arts and community. It puts on events with live music and hosts art shows and open mics.

The restaurant functions as a volunteer-run operation. Keeping in line with its environmental principles, The Red Herring locally sources its ingredients by growing produce in-house, accepting food donations and buying local organic food.

The restaurant offers seasonal all-vegan menus. In the past, it has offered items like black bean burgers and buffalo tempeh. The Red Herring is temporarily closed for the rest of the spring semester.