Best of CU | Coolest UI Alum: Shel Silverstein

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons / Jerry Uelsmann
Shel Silverstein, Illinois alumn, poet, author, screenwriter, songwriter and illustrator poses for a professional headshot. The above image is featured in many of Silverstein’s books.

“Do a loony-goony dance/ ’Cross the kitchen floor,/ Put something silly in the world/ That ain’t been there before.”

—Shel Silverstein, A Light in the Attic

World-renowned children’s author and poet Shel Silverstein has left the world a far brighter and more welcoming place than he found it.

The Illinois native and University alum is best known for having written and illustrated numerous beloved children’s books including “The Giving Tree,” “Where the Sidewalk Ends” and “A Light in the Attic.” The author also wrote two Grammy Award-winning songs, including the Johnny Cash No. 2 Billboard hit “A Boy Named Sue.” A versatile writer, Silverstein’s work in film and stage writing was also the subject of critical acclaim. 

The poet attended the University for one semester before being drafted into the U.S. Army and serving in the Korean War. He died in 1999 at his home in Key West, Florida. 

Entire generations have been profoundly influenced by the warmth and creativity of Silverstein’s work. 

“​Listen to the MUSTN’TS, child,/ Listen to the DON’TS/ Listen to the SHOULDN’TS/ The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON’TS/ Listen to the NEVER HAVES/ Then listen close to me—/ Anything can happen, child,/ANYTHING can be.”

—Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends