Best of CU | Most Unique Restaurant: The Space

James Hoeck
Ian Nutting presents a dish of burger and fries at The Space in downtown Champaign on the evening of March 2. The Space placed first in four Best of CU 2024 categories.

Since opening in early 2023, The Space in downtown Champaign has been a hit with the Champaign-Urbana community.

The restaurant is truly like no other, from its eccentric menu to the colorful interior of the building itself. Tucked in next to Big Grove Tavern and C-U Comedy on Main Street, The Space may look small and unassuming from the outside, but inside is an explosion of colorful art and good smells.

The Space, reminiscent of a diner hosts a variety of live shows and events throughout the year in its small performance area. This includes open mic nights every Tuesday, occasional themed trivia nights and performances from local and touring groups.

The food never disappoints, coming in at an affordable price with a delicious taste for anyone to enjoy. After getting its start as a hot sauce company, the restaurant’s owners have curated a varied menu that focuses on smash burgers, most of which have names ending in “McSmashFace,” shareable fries and house-made sauces.

The cozy, art-filled restaurant provides the perfect small-town performance venue vibe. The Space is a hidden gem of downtown Champaign and worth a visit for anyone wanting to see the true colors of the C-U community.