UIPD arrests shooter who fired shots on Green, Second streets

The University of Illinois Police Department released a statement providing updates on the shots fired on Green and Second streets that led to an Illini-Alert sent on Oct. 9. 

According to the press release, UIPD arrested the person who fired the gunshots using video from security cameras and automated license plate readers in the area. 

“University of Illinois Police identified the shooter as Dominic W. Parrish, 22, of Urbana,” the statement said. “Investigators obtained a search warrant for his home and the vehicle he used the night of the shooting.”

Police arrested Parrish for being a felon in possession of a firearm and for recklessly discharging a firearm. Parrish was taken to Champaign County Jail and remained there until Thursday morning, UIPD said. 

In interviews with police officers, Parrish said he had previously been involved in an altercation with the intended target. 

Even though the individual was arrested, UPID emphasized the importance of safety and offered the following safety tips in an email sent to the campus community.

• Stay together. Do not walk alone at night. Travel in groups and in well-lit areas. Call 217-333-1216 for a SafeWalks escort if you need one.
  • Be alert. Maintaining awareness of your surroundings is critical, especially when traveling at night. 
  • Trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
  • Watch out for each other. Call 911 immediately if you or someone else is in danger. 
  • If you choose to consume alcohol, please be responsible. Remember your ability to respond is diminished by overconsumption of alcohol.
  • Promptly report crime or suspicious activity. It is more likely that police will be able to identify and apprehend offenders when crimes are reported immediately. Reporting crime or suspicious activity can help to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

UIPD can be reached at 217-333-1216 for nonemergency inquiries.