UI to host free seminar series on health solutions

The Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Institute and Illinois Extension will host a weekly “Holistic Health Solutions” seminar series starting Feb. 28.

According to a release by Media Communications Coordinator Herbert Chavez, the seminar has three main goals.

“This program provides an opportunity for the community to learn about current health research, find reliable sources of health information, and engage in direct dialogue with U of I researchers,” the release stated. 

The series will include six seminars offered on Wednesdays from noon to 1 p.m., beginning on Feb. 28 and ending on April 17. The series will occur over Zoom; however, the last three seminars will have an in-person option. 

Topics included are:

• Safeguarding Cognitive Function: Propofol’s Neuroprotective Role in Aging Mice Undergoing Surgery on Feb. 28.
  • Spring Forward: Daylight Saving Time’s Impact on Health and Well-Being on March 6.
  • Beyond Relationships: Understanding Intimate Partner Violence from a Family Perspective on March 20.
  • To Share or Not to Share: Tackling Milk Waste through School Share Tables on March 27.
  • Increasing Safety: Developing a Fall Detection Device for Wheelchair and Scooter Users on April 3.
  • Empowering Independence: Technology Solutions for Older Adults with Vision Impairment on April 10.
  • Embracing AI: Assistance for Enhanced Living on April 17.

There will not be a participation fee for the seminars, although registration is required. Speakers will include University researchers and graduate students. 

This series is a continuation of a webinar series the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Institute began hosting spring of 2020 that ran until the fall of 2022. 

A link to the various topics, along with registration information, is provided here