UI ranks high in top producers of Fulbright awardees 

According to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State, the University of Illinois is one of the top producers of Fulbright student grant recipients in the U.S. in 2023-24.

The Fulbright Program is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S., other countries and institutions around the world. According to the website, “U.S. Student Program funds American citizens to study, conduct research, or teach English abroad.”

According to a press release, Chancellor Robert Jones said “it is a great point of pride for us to be recognized continually as one of the nation’s top producers of Fulbright students.” 

For the 2023-24 academic year, 15 students from the University were offered Fulbright awards. According to David Schug, director of the National and International Scholarships Program, it has been on the top-producing student list for six years. 

Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela, associate chancellor and vice provost for global affairs and strategies, said in a statement that the University “is committed to providing a truly dynamic global learning environment by bringing different cultures, disciplines, geographies and worldviews together on our campus.” 

Applications will open this spring for the Fulbright 2025-2026 academic year. The National and International Scholarships Program offers resources to help undergraduate students apply and the Office of External Fellowships at the Graduate College offers help with graduate applications.