College of ACES, LAS hosts annual career fair

Annie Yang
Students visit Department of State table during LAS and ACES career fair on Wednesday.

On Wednesday afternoon, the College of Agricultural, Consumer & Environmental Sciences and the college of Liberal Arts & Sciences held their annual career fair for students. The career fair was held in the Illini Union from 1-6 p.m.

Employers and recruiters were invited to set up booths and talk to students about internships and prospective career opportunities. There was a great variety of work experience students could choose from.

“We are always looking for students to fill our positions,” said Carolyn Villa, an ecologist working for V3. “We’ve had so many students come through and be seasonal with us for a couple of years and then move on to bigger and better things.”

The career fair invited students of all years and majors to have the opportunity to explore the workforce and make connections. Students were encouraged to wear business attire and have their portfolios ready. 

Some students reported going to the career fair simply to see what their options were. The mix of agricultural sciences and liberal arts allowed students to be exposed to career opportunities that they may not have been exposed to otherwise. 

“I just saw a dog organization and I used to work with dogs,” said Julia Persak, freshman in ACES. “I was so excited that I could kind of tie that into my major.”

The semi-professional environment allowed students to enjoy an easier and less stressful interview process. “There are a lot of people but I like the atmosphere,” said Elen Huang, junior in ACES.

The career fair also provided recruiters the chance to get the word out about their company. Many recruiters mentioned their appreciation for the event, and why companies choose to come to the University. 

“I love coming to U of I,” said Cara Ladd, a recruitment director for Teach for America. “The students are always so prepared with their questions and with information.”