Welcome week habits determine your semester

Kenyon Edmond

A RSO performs on a stage in front of the Illini Union during Quad Day on Aug. 26. Welcome week is full of events and the excitement of a new semester with lots to bring, but it is important to remember to consider setting productive habits early on in the semester.

By Shana Olivero, Video Editor

Moving onto a college campus for the first time is an incredible experience filled with many emotions. Incoming students are excited, nervous, scared or anxious. Luckily, the University fills the first few weeks of school with numerous events to make students feel right at home and make plenty of friends. Here are some ways to make the most of your college move-in experience.

Attend Welcome Week events

There are so many events during the first few weeks for you to meet people, get free stuff and to make the campus feel like home. There are events held by the University, your residence hall and RSOs on campus. Make sure you know what is happening and where so you can plan out which ones you want to go, too.

Enjoy living on your own

This may be the first time you are living on your own, so take advantage of it! Have friends over often, show them how you set up your dorm room and take this time to socialize. The first few weeks are the best time to get out and be with friends before classes and exams start picking up. Rather than sitting inside in your room alone, use this time to explore campus and familiarize yourself with your new home.

Organize your things

Organization is key when you are a college student. Make sure you have everything lined up for your classes, get all of your books, walk the route to class so you know what buildings and rooms they are in and have your planner ready for the school year. Staying organized will help you start off your college experience on a good note, and learning to tidy up once in a while  will help make this transition to college as smooth as possible, as well as the places you may go in the future.

Only bring the necessities

We always overpack so we won’t forget anything, but in college you only have so much space to live in. Bring clothes you know you will wear, and leave anything you do not absolutely need at home. If you live in-state, you can have your family bring it to you which also gives them a reason to come visit. Dorm rooms are not spacious, and it will help you stay organized if you have less clutter.

Overall, your college move in experience is unique and special. Not everybody has this experience, so enjoy this exciting time of your life while you can. Moving in your freshman year is the most exciting, and you should take advantage of all the festivities planned and use this time to make new friends and enjoy being on campus before classes and homework start to pick up.