Top 5 unusual police blotters of Fall 2019

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

December 16, 2019

An arrest was made on the charges of aggravated battery of a police officer, resisting a police officer, obstructing identification and being a fugitive from justice at Grainger Engineering Library, 1301 W. Springfield Ave., around 7 p.m. Nov. 12. According to the report, library staff called the polic...

CU sees variety of crime this semester

CU sees variety of crime this semester

By Julie Kang, Assistant News Editor

December 16, 2019

Case against former UI professor accused of sexual misconduct continues Two former University students and a professor from Wesleyan University in Connecticut filed a lawsuit on Sept. 10 against Gary Xu, who was accused of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Noose found in Allen Hall elevator ...

Top 5 moments of the semester

Top 5 moments of the semester

By Karen Liu, News Editor

December 17, 2018

The Fall 2018 semester is coming to an end. Before students switch gears to enjoy the holidays and winter break with family and friends, it is time to look back on the memorable events that happened on campus over the past semester. Obama speaking on campus  Former President Barack Obama made an appearance on campus to receive the Paul H. Douglas Award...

A look back on campus construction

A look back on campus construction

By Jose Zepeda, Staff Writer

December 17, 2018

Each semester, the University and the surrounding area undergo construction to improve old buildings and roads and to build new facilities. This semester was no exception. At the end of the spring semester of the 2017-2018 school year, Illinois Street Residence Hall closed its dining services facili...

Top 5 Illinois sports moments of the semester

By Meghan Rest, Assistant sports editor

December 17, 2018

The University of Illinois might not be home to the most successful teams in the country –– or even the Big Ten –– but the fall season was still filled with historic milestones and plenty of memorable moments. No. 1: Volleyball makes it back to the NCAA Final Four for the first time since ...

New businesses open to appease students

By Zihan Wang, Staff Writer

December 17, 2018

As students say goodbye to some familiar favorites in Fall 2018, the University also welcomed an array of new businesses to enrich the lives of students on campus. To make space for the 17-story residential building on the corner of Green and Sixth Street, campus bars The Clybourne and Firehaus, San...

Top 5 unusual police blotters of the semester

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

December 17, 2018

Theft over $500 was reported at Walmart, 2610 N. Prospect Ave., around 11 a.m. Nov. 5. According to the report, a gumball machine was taken from the store by an unknown offender or offenders. Lost articles were reported on the 200 block of North Vein Street at around 7 a.m. on Sept. 7. According to...

ISG members reflect on their semester

By HongBi Jeong, Staff Writer

December 17, 2018

The Illinois Student Government achieved its main goal of getting votes out during the midterm election this semester. ISG was able to increase voter turnout compared to the 2014 Midterm election, Susan Zhou, Chief of Staff of the organization and sophomore in LAS, said. ISG’s Get-Out-The-Vo...

Chancellor’s commission will not name new mascot

By Julie Kang, Staff Writer

December 17, 2018

Chancellor Robert Jones announced the commission he appointed to discuss native imagery will not focus on actually selecting a mascot for the University, but rather help establish a path towards it. Jones said the point of the committee is not to name a new mascot. The panel is working to develop...

Missing scholar case trial update

By Gillian Dunlop, Managing Editor for Reporting

December 17, 2018

It has been a year and a half since visiting scholar Yingying Zhang went missing in June of 2017. Alleged kidnapper Brendt Christensen is facing a charge of one count of kidnapping resulting in death and two counts of making false statements to the FBI. The trial is set to begin in April, 2019 in Peoria. 2017: June 9- Visit...

RACES searches for hope amid Illinois budget crisis

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Staff Writer

December 27, 2016

Illinois has gone eighteen months without a long-term budget. A stopgap funding measure gave some reprieve, but the state-centered money runs out on Dec. 31, leaving local social services scrambling to find additional funding. The Rape Advocacy, Counseling, and Education Services, RACES, located in ...

Grueling 2016 brought big picture frustrations

By Shankari Sureshbabu, Columnist

December 12, 2016

Let’s begin with the expected and obvious: This last semester really was the worst. If 2016 is blacked out in history as the year that logic and reasoning went out the window, I won’t be surprised. There will be books about this year. In 50 years, people at a party are going to shoot out h...

Next Page »