Greek life adapts to COVID restrictions

Eleni Sakas, second from left, poses in the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority with her house sisters. Sakas’s sorority has been adapting its recruiting and party practices for the fall semester.
August 24, 2020

As the University reopens for the fall during the COVID-19 pandemic, Greek life will look entirely different for participating students this semester.  According to data from the University Fraternity...

Illini community remembers greatness of late Illini legend Lou Henson

Illinois Head Basketball Coach Lou Henson gestures towards the court during a match.
August 24, 2020

On July 29, the college basketball world and the Illini community received the news they had lost a legend and friend. Lou Henson, the most winningest coach in Illinois men’s basketball history, passed...

Food recap: Campustown bars, restaurants adapt to indoor dining restrictions

Patrons of The Red Lion sit at newly mandated outdoor seating on Friday. Campustown businesses are carrying out new measures to combat COVID-19 and implement new safety regulations.
August 24, 2020

Looking to get some grub at your favorite Champaign-Urbana restaurant or bar? There’s a wave of new city orders and restrictions for customers and businesses to abide by.  With the arrival of thousands...

Opinion | Chicago Police Department is not for the people

Chicago police officers form a line in front of demonstrators during a protest on May 30. Columnist Maii argues the CPD is responsible for much of the violence occurring on Aug. 15.
August 24, 2020

As Black Lives Matter protests rage on around the country, it is clear that the Chicago Police Department is responsible for much of the violence that has occurred this last Saturday, Aug. 15, having had...

Campus resources shift accessibility during COVID-19

Students sit at the Courtyard Cafe at the Illini Union on Sunday. Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, new guidelines are in place to prepare for an increase of students on campus.
August 24, 2020

Campus is seeing several changes to its everyday operations in order to comply with COVID-19 safety procedures. Several resources that many students rely on have changed how they can be accessed. Here...

Major league sports return with efficiency

The Chicago Blackhawks celebrate a 3-2 victory against the Edmonton Oilers to win Game 4 and clinch the Western Conference Qualification Round series at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, on Aug. 7. After the cancellation of sports in March, the NHL season restarted and is now nearing the quarterfinals.
August 24, 2020

When sports across the board got canceled in March, fans went through something unimaginable: no games to watch for three months. With March Madness canceled, the major professional sports postponed and...

University program allows students to take on COVID-19 projects with WHO

Ian Brooks, director of the CHIME at Illinois program, poses for a photo.
August 24, 2020

The University’s Center for Health Informatics started a new initiative this summer in which students can work with health agencies t o help support data science projects relating to COVID-19.  So...

Illini basketball alumni excel in The Basketball Tournament this summer

House of Paign player Billy Garrett goes for a layup during the match against Red Scare on July 10. House of ‘Paign was one of the 24 teams invited to Columbus, Ohio. to compete in The Basketball Tournament, a single-elimination style tournament.
August 24, 2020

The first couple of months this summer were hard for sports fans who missed what would have been the traditional mid-season baseball and NBA finals at the same time. As many sports were using the summer...

The University’s COVID-19 plan: World watches UI’s cutting-edge tests

Kushi Gowda deposits her testing sample in a receptacle after completing a COVID-19 test at the Illini Union on Sunday. Last Monday, saliva tests conducted at the University made up 1.3% of COVID-19 tests nationwide.
August 24, 2020

After two summer months and a move-in week, the returns are in for the University’s saliva-based COVID-19 test, and they’re staggering. Over 70,000 saliva tests have been conducted since the July...

FDA Emergency Use Authorization approves University saliva test

Aisha Shekara spits into a tube to be tested for COVID-19 at the Illini Union on Sunday. University students, faculty and staff must take the test at a minimum of twice a week.
August 24, 2020

The saliva-based COVID-19 test that University students, staff and faculty will be taking at least twice a week was authorized for emergency use by the Federal Drug Administration on Thursday. The FDA...

Opinion | Return to school is our chance for normalcy

Students waits in line to take COVID-19 tests at the Illini Union on Sunday. Columnist Noah argues many students want to return to campus.
August 24, 2020

Five months ago, everyone around the world, especially students here at the University, had their whole lives changed with the snap of a finger. At the time, COVID-19 began spreading like wildfire in the...

Opinion | Trump irresponsibly accelerates social security bankruptcy

President Donald J. Trump, joined by Advisor to the President Ivanka Trump, members of his Cabinet and guests, addresses his remarks at the siging of National Security Presidential Memorandum to launch the “Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative” Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019, in the Oval Office of the White House.
August 24, 2020

Of all the politically disastrous policy decisions a statesman can make, there is perhaps no more unpopular choice than cutting entitlements, such as medicare or social security.  Social security essentially...

Load more stories