American comedian Bo Burnham stars in his comedy special “Bo Burnham: Inside”. Columnist Sam Rahman believes Burnham deserves all of the Emmy nominations hes received because of the shows strong message.

Opinion | Bo Burnham is inside; so are we

By Samuel Rahman, Assistant Opinions Editor August 27, 2021

Bo Burnham’s latest special, “Inside,” released May 30 on Netflix to immediate acclaim. Rave reviews poured in from prestigious outlets such as the New York Times, the Washington Post and individual...

Eleni Sakas, second from left, poses in the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority with her house sisters. Sakas’s sorority has been adapting its recruiting and party practices for the fall semester.

Greek life adapts to COVID restrictions

By Heather Robinson, Assistant Daytime News Editor August 24, 2020

As the University reopens for the fall during the COVID-19 pandemic, Greek life will look entirely different for participating students this semester.  According to data from the University Fraternity...

Illinois Head Basketball Coach Lou Henson gestures towards the court during a match.

Illini community remembers greatness of late Illini legend Lou Henson

By Gabby Hajduk, Sports Editor August 24, 2020

On July 29, the college basketball world and the Illini community received the news they had lost a legend and friend. Lou Henson, the most winningest coach in Illinois men’s basketball history, passed...

Patrons of The Red Lion sit at newly mandated outdoor seating on Friday. Campustown businesses are carrying out new measures to combat COVID-19 and implement new safety regulations.

Food recap: Campustown bars, restaurants adapt to indoor dining restrictions

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor August 24, 2020

Looking to get some grub at your favorite Champaign-Urbana restaurant or bar? There’s a wave of new city orders and restrictions for customers and businesses to abide by.  With the arrival of thousands...

Chicago police officers form a line in front of demonstrators during a protest on May 30. Columnist Maii argues the CPD is responsible for much of the violence occurring on Aug. 15.

Opinion | Chicago Police Department is not for the people

By Maii Rashed, Assistant Editor August 24, 2020

As Black Lives Matter protests rage on around the country, it is clear that the Chicago Police Department is responsible for much of the violence that has occurred this last Saturday, Aug. 15, having had...

Students sit at the Courtyard Cafe at the Illini Union on Sunday. Due to COVID-19 safety protocols, new guidelines are in place to prepare for an increase of students on campus.

Campus resources shift accessibility during COVID-19

By Features Staff August 24, 2020

Campus is seeing several changes to its everyday operations in order to comply with COVID-19 safety procedures. Several resources that many students rely on have changed how they can be accessed. Here...

The Chicago Blackhawks celebrate a 3-2 victory against the Edmonton Oilers to win Game 4 and clinch the Western Conference Qualification Round series at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, on Aug. 7. After the cancellation of sports in March, the NHL season restarted and is now nearing the quarterfinals.

Major league sports return with efficiency

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor August 24, 2020

When sports across the board got canceled in March, fans went through something unimaginable: no games to watch for three months. With March Madness canceled, the major professional sports postponed and...

Ian Brooks, director of the CHIME at Illinois program, poses for a photo.

University program allows students to take on COVID-19 projects with WHO

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Staff Writer August 24, 2020

The University’s Center for Health Informatics started a new initiative this summer in which students can work with health agencies t o help support data science projects relating to COVID-19.  So...

House of Paign player Billy Garrett goes for a layup during the match against Red Scare on July 10. House of ‘Paign was one of the 24 teams invited to Columbus, Ohio. to compete in The Basketball Tournament, a single-elimination style tournament.

Illini basketball alumni excel in The Basketball Tournament this summer

By Brendyn Jones, Assistant On-Air Editor August 24, 2020

The first couple of months this summer were hard for sports fans who missed what would have been the traditional mid-season baseball and NBA finals at the same time. As many sports were using the summer...

Kushi Gowda deposits her testing sample in a receptacle after completing a COVID-19 test at the Illini Union on Sunday. Last Monday, saliva tests conducted at the University made up 1.3% of COVID-19 tests nationwide.

The University’s COVID-19 plan: World watches UI’s cutting-edge tests

After two summer months and a move-in week, the returns are in for the University’s saliva-based COVID-19 test, and they’re staggering. Over 70,000 saliva tests have been conducted since the July...

Aisha Shekara spits into a tube to be tested for COVID-19 at the Illini Union on Sunday. University students, faculty and staff must take the test at a minimum of twice a week.

FDA Emergency Use Authorization approves University saliva test

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting August 24, 2020

The saliva-based COVID-19 test that University students, staff and faculty will be taking at least twice a week was authorized for emergency use by the Federal Drug Administration on Thursday. The FDA...

Students waits in line to take COVID-19 tests at the Illini Union on Sunday. Columnist Noah argues many students want to return to campus.

Opinion | Return to school is our chance for normalcy

By Noah Nelson, Senior Columnist August 24, 2020

Five months ago, everyone around the world, especially students here at the University, had their whole lives changed with the snap of a finger. At the time, COVID-19 began spreading like wildfire in the...

Load More Stories