Jayden Epps enters transfer portal after debut season with Illinois men’s basketball

Sidney Malone

Guard Jayden Epps during a home game against Rutgers on Feb. 11, following a loss against Iowa on Feb. 4. Epps took to Twitter to announce his departure from the Illini and his entrance to the transfer portal.

By James Kim, Sports Editor

After completing his first collegiate season with Illinois, freshman guard Jayden Epps announced his decision to enter the transfer portal on Tuesday via Twitter.

“After careful consideration and discussions with my family, I have decided to enter the transfer portal,” Epps wrote. “I am confident that this is the best decision for my future and personal growth.”

Epps was one of the standout players from Illinois’ talented 2022-23 freshman class. Averaging 9.5 points across 31 games played, the Virginia native was fifth on the team in scoring while also averaging 1.5 assists and 1.8 rebounds.

Despite coming off the bench to start, Epps quickly became a key piece of the Illini squad and took control of the starting point guard job heading into the second half of the season. The freshman scored a career-high 21 points against Monmouth on November 14 and earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors in early February following strong back-to-back performances against Nebraska and Iowa.

“I am thankful to my coaches for giving me the opportunity to play Illinois basketball,” Epps wrote. “As well as my trainers and support staff who have contributed to my development during my time here.”

Epps is now the second player on the 2022-23 Illini roster to enter the transfer portal, with freshman guard Skyy Clark also recently choosing to leave the program for Louisville following an extended absence from the team. The departure of both Epps and Clark now leaves even less depth at the point guard position for the time being as Illinois begins its offseason recruiting.

“Once again, I want to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my time at the University of Illinois,” Epps wrote. “It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of the Illinois basketball family, and I will always be proud of it.”

@james_kim15