Illinois volleyball star Brooke Mosher addresses versatility and positioning at media day

Adam Rosen
Illinois volleyball coach Chris Tamas, setter Brooke Mosher and outside hitter Raina Terry address media on Aug. 2. Mosher spoke about moving back to the setter role after the departure of former Illini Diana Brown.

Illinois volleyball brought a couple of big names to media day in Chicago, featuring head coach Chris Tamas, senior outside hitter Raina Terry and redshirt sophomore setter Brooke Mosher.

Mosher spoke to media about her versatility, talking about how she moved all around the court during her first full season of play last year. Mosher was recruited as a setter, but due to the presence of Diana Brown, Mosher was utilized all over the court, dazzling the fans with her dynamic ability to adapt to new positions, thriving at every opportunity she had.

Mosher first addressed her thoughts on going back to the setter role, after Brown graduated, leaving Mosher to her natural spot.

“I’m really excited for it, it’s been something I’m looking forward to,” Mosher said. “I think the biggest change is really just making myself a little bit more of a leader. I just needed to get some reps and I think I’m really back into the swing of everything.”

Mosher was asked about her mentality and what made her thrive in the dynamic and versatile positioning roles from 2022, speaking about her experience before college.

“I’ve been playing basically every position my whole life, so doing that really helped a lot,” Mosher said. “Last season, I just kind of went for it, I didn’t think about it too much. I just tell myself, ‘just go for it.’”

Adding on to it, Mosher gave credit to Brown’s mentorship and willingness to teach.

“She’s a great mentor,” Mosher said. “No matter any question I had, she had an answer and was really sweet about everything.”

Mosher went on to talk about her teammates and their leadership, and diving into how she’s growing as a leader as well.

“Raina does a really good job leading our open gyms,” Mosher said. “For me personally, it’s just being more of a leader on the court or creating opportunities off the court to hang out with each other, which is making a big difference.”

Mosher’s wrapped her comments up by speaking on the feelings of being a student-athlete, specifically at Illinois.

“Being a student-athlete at Illinois is amazing,” Mosher said. “Just to be part of the school and represent such a distinguished academic school is something that will definitely set us up for success.”

Mosher and the Illini get their season underway in a few weeks, on Aug. 26 in DeKalb, against the Northern Illinois Huskies.

@arrosen76