No.14 Illinois men’s basketball gets back on track with big win at Michigan

Olivia McAfoos
Senior forward Coleman Hawkins delivers a bounce pass to fifth-year guard Justin Harmon to quickly score on the Terrapins on Sunday.

A slow-moving loss to Maryland was fresh on No. 14 Illinois men’s basketball’s mind when it entered Ann Arbor for a meeting with Michigan. Fortunately for those watching from Champaign-Urbana, the Illini responded by taking a commanding 88-73 victory over the Wolverines.

Head coach Brad Underwood’s first five remained constant. Graduate student forwards Marcus Domask and Guerrier stood alongside fifth-year forward Coleman Hawkins, junior guard Luke Goode and sophomore guard Ty Rodgers.

Illinois was in charge of the first possession, but Michigan forced a stop and was the first on the scoreboard. Hawkins and Rodgers answered back in impressive fashion and the Illini quickly moved in front (9-2). Redshirt freshman Niccolo Moretti checked in for the first time since Nov. 19 within the first few minutes. Illinois gave Moretti the opportunity to execute its offense, and on his first possession, he set up Goode for a three. Goode’s three did not drop, but Guerrier was there for a putback that grew Illinois’ lead to nine (11-2). 

The Wolverines rallied over the next stretch of play. Two free throws from Hawkins were all that interrupted a string of eight points for the home team and it was suddenly a one-score game (13-10). Moretti and Guerrier combined for back-to-back Illini baskets to get back out in front but the Wolverines had answers.

Hawkins knocked down his second three as the shot clock expired a few possessions later and Domask got into a groove down the stretch. Michigan had a chance to tie the score at 37 on a potential four-point play but a missed free throw meant Illinois led 37-36. Through 20 minutes, Hawkins had a team-high 10 points and was the only Illini to record a block or a steal. Guerrier was just a hair behind Hawkins with nine points and nine rebounds.

Despite Michigan being primed to continue its end-of-the-half run, Illinois came out firing. Hawkins’ third make from distance combined with Goode’s first got their advantage up to eight points within the first five minutes. 

Michigan continued to answer and refused to let the game be blown open. A quick 7-0 amped up the home crowd and appeared to do the same for the players, but once again their work was undone in an instant. Harmon nailed a tough inbounds layup and the free throw before Goode put in three more from the top of the arc. A transition layup from Rodgers got the Illinois bench on its feet, to the point where redshirt sophomore guard Sencire Harris received a technical from the bench.

By that point, Illinois had broken Michigan.

The lead kept growing while the clock continued ticking to the tune of a 16-point lead. Just eight minutes to climb the mountain top was a tough ask, and the Wolverines were not up to the task. Following several minutes of intentional fouling, Illinois emerged 88-73 as victors.

Hawkins (21p/10r) and Guerrier (16p/14r) had double-doubles while also being the team’s leading scorers. Scoring wasn’t the only area where Hawkins excelled, as he led the team with four assists and an eye-popping six steals.

No. 14 Illinois men’s basketball will be at home on Sunday hosting Rutgers at noon.

@blountco21