Illinois women’s basketball lands Magassa from transfer portal

The offseason continues to bring new additions to the Illinois women’s basketball program. Head coach Shauna Green announced Sunday that graduate transfer Ténin Magassa would join the Illini for the 2024-25 season. Magassa is a 6-foot-6 center from the University of Rhode Island and formerly played under the guidance of Green when she attended Dayton from 2020-22.

This past season with the Rams, Magassa averaged seven points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.1 assists and two blocks per game. She shot around a 52% average from the field on 18 minutes per game.

While the team already has an existing big on the roster, with senior forward Kendall Bostic announcing her return for the next season, adding a true center to the lineup will bring even more defensive strength to the program. With her coming to the Illini, she will likely take over the spot of fifth-year center Camille Hobby, who rounded out her collegiate career with the team.

While there are big shoes to fill for Magassa, Green is ultimately thrilled to have her back on her team.

“I am so happy that Ténin is back in our family,” Green said. “T is a big that can run in our pace, protect the rim defensively and has the ability to score with her back to the basket.”

From her upbringing in France to Dayton, then Rhode Island and now Illinois, Magassa fills a need for the program and will continue her chemistry with Green.

@tess_eken