Illini finish strong in Iowa, came close to more success

Aman Thornton poses for a headshot. Thornton took home first place in the 600-meter premier at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational this weekend.
January 23, 2021

After battling Northwestern and Wisconsin last week in Madison, the Illini traveled West to participate in the Larry Wieczorek Invitational, a two-day, Iowa Hawkeye hosted event. The Illini made some progress...

Illini win eight events amid Wisconsin road trip

Sophomore Olivia Howell competes in a relay race during a meet. Howell broke the Illinois record for fastest women's 1000m during the tri-meet against Wisconsin and Northwestern on Saturday.
January 16, 2021

After months of built-up anticipation, the Illini finally got to showcase a wide range of talent and athleticism in a trip up north to Madison, Wisconsin. In a tri-meet against rivals Wisconsin and Northwestern,...

Illinois athletics receives National Letters of Intent from dozens of athletes on Signing Day

The Illinois volleyball team huddles up in a match against Michigan on Nov. 1, 2019. The volleyball team was one of the many Illinois programs to have players sign National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
November 11, 2020

The NCAA’s national signing period for high school athletes of all sports except football began on Nov. 11. Today, dozens of athletes from across the country signed their National Letter of Intent to...

Illini of the season: Aduma, Howell excel amid young talent

Junior Amira Aduma competes in a relay race during the Women's Big Ten Indoor Championships on Feb. 24. 2018.
April 7, 2020

The Illini women’s track team, with its roster stuffed with underclassmen, fought hard during the indoor season, securing a few event titles along the way. This wasn’t a dominant track and field squad,...

Illini of the season: All-American Wells continues success

Senior Jonathan Wells competes in the long jump event during the Big Ten Men's Track and Field Championship on Feb. 29.
April 4, 2020

MVP and Senior who will be missed: Jonathan Wells   Redshirt senior Jonathan Wells has accomplished quite a lot for the Illinois men's track and field team. The Fox Lake native is a six-time...

Young Illini team makes strides during shortened season

Senior Chisom Nwoko runs at the Big Ten Indoor Championships at the SPIRE Institute during the weekend of Feb. 29.
March 22, 2020

The 2019-2020 women’s track and field season is in the books due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. While this means Illini fans are going to have to wait months to see their favorite athletes back in...

Nwoko leads Illinois to 11th-place finish at Big Ten Indoor Championships

March 2, 2020

Senior sprinter Chisom Nwoko earned one of two Illinois top-five accolades at the Big Ten Indoor Championships Friday and Saturday in Geneva, Ohio. On Saturday, Nwoko finished second in the 400-meter...

Women’s cross country finishes 22nd at NCAA Championships as a team

November 23, 2019

The No. 21-ranked Illinois women's cross country team ran to a 22nd-place finish at the NCAA Division I Championships at Lavern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Indiana Saturday...

Quinn finishes seventh in NCAA finals, earns All-American honors

Mo Maat sprints up behind Devin Quinn to hand off the baton for the last dash in the 4x100 Meter Relay at Illinois Twilight at the Illinois Track Field on April 22. Quinn completed his senior campaign after multiple successes, taking away records like the fastest men's 100-meter in the Big Ten conference and Illinois history.
June 11, 2019

The Illinois men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams wrapped up their spring campaign this week in Austin, Texas. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn finished seventh in the 100-meter dash Friday...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

Illinois' Aleks Kovacevic swings at the ball during the match against Duke at Atkins Tennis Center on Feb. 1, 2019. Kovacevic was one of the 73 Illinois student-athletes to be named to the spring Big Ten  Academic All-Conference team.
May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point...

Turk inducted into Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame

Madison Marasco (1) and Rebecca Craddock (8) run in the 1-mile event on Jan. 26 at the Armory. Head coach Michael Turk was inducted into the Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame in April.
May 12, 2019

Illinois head track and field coach Michael Turk was inducted into the Drake Relays Hall of Fame April 25. Turk has been coaching the Illini for eight seasons but recently became the head coach of the...

Illinois collects relay titles at Drake

Sophomore Jason Shannon, freshman Declan Rustay and seniors Joe Haight and Devin Quinn smile after winning their race. The men’s 4x100-meter relay won the final on Saturday.
April 29, 2019

The Illinois track and field team traveled to Des Moines, Iowa, for the Drake Relays this weekend. The men’s team finished third out of 17 teams, and the women’s team finished second out of 18 teams,...

Load more stories