Illini win seven events at home

Illini win seven events at home

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 15, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Track & Field, Track & Field, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

Illini compete at Texas A&M, Champaign On April 6, the Illini track and field team competed at The Reveille at Texas A&M University. The women’s track and field team had solid performances, including sophomore distance runner Nicki Cast finishing third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and ...

Illini continue outdoor season in California, Mississippi

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 2, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Sports Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illini track and field teams continued their strong outdoor start across the country Friday in Stanford, California, and Saturday at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi. The women’s and men’s 4x100-meter relay teams finished in first at Mississippi with times of 45.14 secon...

Track and field teams make outdoor debut at SIU

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 27, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illinois men’s track and field team competed at Southern Illinois University Friday and Saturday to begin the outdoor track season. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn and the distance medley relay team competed in the NCAA Indoor Championship March 8-9, while the rest of the team saw their indoor se...

Teams head to compete on big stage

Teams head to  compete on big stage

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 21, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illinois men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at Arkansas and Iowa State this past weekend. The distance group, throwers and women’s pole vaulters went to Ames, Iowa, while the sprints groups, middle distance groups and remaining field events competed at Arkansas. Women’s trac...

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 29, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Track & Field, Women's Sports

Men’s track and field: The No. 20-ranked Illinois men’s track and field team saw several personal bests in individual events during the team’s second and final home indoor meet, the Illini Invitational, on Saturday. Sophomore sprinter Jason Shannon set personal records in the 60-meter dash and th...

Multiple Illini athletes break personal records

January 23, 2019

Men's track and field: The Illinois men’s track and field team traveled to Iowa City this weekend to compete at the University of Iowa. The Illini finished in fifth place as a team, behind Iowa and Minnesota, but ahead of Purdue and Wisconsin. The Illini built off last week’s performance at the Illini ...

Men’s, women’s teams prepare for upcoming season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 17, 2019

Men’s track and field The Illinois men’s track and field team finished first out of five schools to start its season at the Illini Open, in Champaign, on Saturday. Last season, the Illini graduated David Kendziera, who won a silver medal in the 60-meter hurdles at the Big Ten Championships in 20...

Illini seniors talk post grad plans

Illini seniors talk post grad plans

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

May 3, 2018

With commencement ceremonies and the Big Ten Championships just about a week away, the seniors on the Illini track and field team are entering their final weeks at Illinois. For some of the 18 graduating seniors, their career paths incorporate skills that were developed on the track team. For David Ken...

Siblings compete in season together

Siblings compete in season together

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

April 26, 2018

David Kendziera, a senior on the Illinois men’s track and field team, initially picked up track and cross country as a means to get himself ready for the mile-time trials in P.E. classes. It wasn’t until high school that he and Brenda, his younger sister who is sophomore on the University’s women’...

Women’s track wins final home meet

Women’s track wins final home meet

By Noah Deutsch, Staff Writer

April 18, 2018

Filed under Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Women's Sports

The Illinois Twilight meet on Saturday was one to remember for seniors Nicole Choquette and Sara McKeeman. The pair capped off their final home meet as Illini with first-place finishes in the 800-meter run and pole vault, respectively. Overall, Illinois took home six first-place finishes and won the...

Women’s track finishes fifth at Jim Click Shootout

By Noah Deutsch, Contributing writer

April 10, 2018

Filed under Sports, Track & Field, Women's Sports

Finishing with 90 points in the team standings, the Illinois Women’s Track & Field team placed fifth overall at the Jim Click Shootout. Chisom Nwoko and Nicole Choquette highlighted the event as Nwoko’s 400m performance, a personal best of 53.11, was the fifth-fastest in Illini history....

Nwoko runs seventh-fastest 400-meter in Illini history

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

April 3, 2018

Filed under Showcase, Sports, Top Stories, Track & Field, Women's Sports

Sophomore Chisom Nwoko clocked a new personal best when she won the women’s 400-meter dash at the Ole Miss Classic this Saturday. “Chisom Nwoko’s 400 was a huge performance for her, and a big personal best outdoors,” said head coach Mike Turk. “It was a really impressive run for her, and she...

Next Page »