Illini of the season: Aduma, Howell excel amid young talent

Junior Amira Aduma competes in a relay race during the Women's Big Ten Indoor Championships on Feb. 24. 2018.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

April 7, 2020

The Illini women’s track team, with its roster stuffed with underclassmen, fought hard during the indoor season, securing a few event titles along the way. This wasn’t a dominant track and field squad, but given the number of young assets, experience is more important for preparing the team for a fu...

Illini of the season: All-American Wells continues success

Senior Jonathan Wells competes in the long jump event during the Big Ten Men's Track and Field Championship on Feb. 29.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

April 4, 2020

MVP and Senior who will be missed: Jonathan Wells   Redshirt senior Jonathan Wells has accomplished quite a lot for the Illinois men's track and field team. The Fox Lake native is a six-time All-American who has excelled in the high jump, long jump and heptathlon events. Wells has won ...

Young Illini team makes strides during shortened season

Senior Chisom Nwoko runs at the Big Ten Indoor Championships at the SPIRE Institute during the weekend of Feb. 29.

March 22, 2020

The 2019-2020 women’s track and field season is in the books due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. While this means Illini fans are going to have to wait months to see their favorite athletes back in action, it doesn’t mean a recap of this season’s highs and lows has to be canceled, too.  A...

Nwoko leads Illinois to 11th-place finish at Big Ten Indoor Championships

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

March 2, 2020

Senior sprinter Chisom Nwoko earned one of two Illinois top-five accolades at the Big Ten Indoor Championships Friday and Saturday in Geneva, Ohio. On Saturday, Nwoko finished second in the 400-meter dash with a season-best time of 53.51 seconds. Freshman Olivia Howell also finished fourth in the mil...

Women’s cross country finishes 22nd at NCAA Championships as a team

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

November 23, 2019

The No. 21-ranked Illinois women's cross country team ran to a 22nd-place finish at the NCAA Division I Championships at Lavern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Indiana Saturday morning. Junior Allison McGrath, who led the Illini to their team victory at the NCAA Midwest Regional...

Quinn finishes seventh in NCAA finals, earns All-American honors

Mo Maat sprints up behind Devin Quinn to hand off the baton for the last dash in the 4x100 Meter Relay at Illinois Twilight at the Illinois Track Field on April 22. Quinn completed his senior campaign after multiple successes, taking away records like the fastest men's 100-meter in the Big Ten conference and Illinois history.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

June 11, 2019

The Illinois men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams wrapped up their spring campaign this week in Austin, Texas. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn finished seventh in the 100-meter dash Friday at the NCAA Championships, completing his final collegiate race with a time of 10.12 seconds. Tex...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

Illinois' Aleks Kovacevic swings at the ball during the match against Duke at Atkins Tennis Center on Feb. 1, 2019. Kovacevic was one of the 73 Illinois student-athletes to be named to the spring Big Ten  Academic All-Conference team.

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Turk inducted into Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame

Madison Marasco (1) and Rebecca Craddock (8) run in the 1-mile event on Jan. 26 at the Armory. Head coach Michael Turk was inducted into the Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame in April.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 12, 2019

Illinois head track and field coach Michael Turk was inducted into the Drake Relays Hall of Fame April 25. Turk has been coaching the Illini for eight seasons but recently became the head coach of the program in 2017, when both the men’s and women’s programs combined. Turk said he knew he would be getting induct...

Illinois collects relay titles at Drake

Sophomore Jason Shannon, freshman Declan Rustay and seniors Joe Haight and Devin Quinn smile after winning their race. The men’s 4x100-meter relay won the final on Saturday.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 29, 2019

The Illinois track and field team traveled to Des Moines, Iowa, for the Drake Relays this weekend. The men’s team finished third out of 17 teams, and the women’s team finished second out of 18 teams, as scoring was based on relays alone. The meet was no misnomer for Illinois, whose relay teams hav...

Illinois uses success at Auburn to prepare for Drake Relays

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 25, 2019

The Illinois track and field team had a strong showing in distance events at the Auburn War Eagle Invitational this past Friday and Saturday. In the men’s 5,000-meter run, the Illini had three top-five finishes in the race. Senior Dan Lathrop finished second with a time of 14:23.28, sophomore Irwin L...

Illini win seven events at home

Lauren Katz runs the 1,500-meter at the Illinois Track Stadium on Saturday. Katz finished in fifth place.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 15, 2019

Illini compete at Texas A&M, Champaign On April 6, the Illini track and field team competed at The Reveille at Texas A&M University. The women’s track and field team had solid performances, including sophomore distance runner Nicki Cast finishing third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and ...

Illini continue outdoor season in California, Mississippi

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 2, 2019

The Illini track and field teams continued their strong outdoor start across the country Friday in Stanford, California, and Saturday at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi. The women’s and men’s 4x100-meter relay teams finished in first at Mississippi with times of 45.14 secon...

Next Page »