Manning Platter begins to spin during the indoor weight throw event. The Illinois track & field team will compete in Bloomington, Indiana again this weekend at the second Big Ten Invitational.

Illinois enters weekend’s meets with momentum, hunger

By Andre Thomas April 16, 2021

Last week’s track & field invitational was one for the ages, as the Illini won several events and broke school records. Members like Manning Plater, Chisom Nwoko and Amira Aduma represented the Illini...

Part of the Demirjian family along with other donors pose for a photo in front of the bleachers at Demirjian Park on Tuesday. The newly constructed park will serve as home to the Illini track & field and soccer programs.

Illini strengthen brand, reputation with Demirjian Park

By Carson Gourdie, Staff Writer April 11, 2021

When Mike Turk, the director of track & field and cross country, brings up Illinois’ program history, he doesn’t think it’s good; he thinks it’s historic, as it has featured Hall of Fame coaches,...

Graduate student Chisom Nwoko uses a pole to hoist herself over a bar during the pole jump event on a cloudy day. The Illinois track & field team took home multiple first place wins at the second Big Ten Invitational in Bloomington, Indiana yesterday.

Illinois racks up several first-place finishes in Bloomington

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 10, 2021

This weekend’s invitational hosted Indiana was a sight to see, as the competitiveness was at an all-time high. Illinois had multiple first-place finishes throughout the tournament, leaving a mark on...

An Illinois distance runner is lined up on the starting line at the Illini B1G Multi-Meet Jan 30. The Illinois track & field team will travel to Bloomington, Indiana, for the second Big Ten Invitational this weekend.

Illinois looks to build off solid Florida outing at second Big Ten Invitational

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer April 8, 2021

The Illini will be on the road once again this weekend, as they travel back to Bloomington, Indiana for the second Big Ten Invitational, hosted by the Indiana Hoosiers. This weekend from April 9-11, Illinois...

Graduate student Jonathan Wells leaps into a pit of sand while competing in the long jump on a sunny day. Wells won two of Illinois' three first-place finishes at the Big Ten North Florida Invitational in Jacksonville, Florida this weekend.

Jacksonville trip ends with three first-place finishes for Illini

By Carson Gourdie, Staff Writer April 3, 2021

Meals were delivered to rooms, small groups of athletes could meet outside for a walk and they only left the hotel for practice. Combined with chilly and windy weather, Mike Turk’s track & field...

Junior Lucy Lux-Rulon competes in the long jump event during the Illini B1G Multi-Meet on Jan. 30. The Illinois track team finished the regular season on Saturday.

Familiar faces lead the Illini in season finale

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor February 13, 2021

While college athletics programs all across the country have been consistently delayed due to coronavirus-related issues, the Illinois track program has steered clear of any delays and have finished up...

Sophomore Alexander Babbington competes in a running event during the Illini B1G Multi-Meet on Jan. 30.

Illini dominate 800m dash, long toss in Nebraska

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor February 6, 2021

After having cross country steal the show last week, the track team was back in action as a team Saturday, traveling to Lincoln, Nebraska, for the Husker quad. The Illini, combined with strong performances...

Aman Thornton poses for a headshot. Thornton took home first place in the 600-meter premier at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational this weekend.

Illini finish strong in Iowa, came close to more success

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor January 23, 2021

After battling Northwestern and Wisconsin last week in Madison, the Illini traveled West to participate in the Larry Wieczorek Invitational, a two-day, Iowa Hawkeye hosted event. The Illini made some progress...

Sophomore Olivia Howell competes in a relay race during a meet. Howell broke the Illinois record for fastest women's 1000m during the tri-meet against Wisconsin and Northwestern on Saturday.

Illini win eight events amid Wisconsin road trip

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor January 16, 2021

After months of built-up anticipation, the Illini finally got to showcase a wide range of talent and athleticism in a trip up north to Madison, Wisconsin. In a tri-meet against rivals Wisconsin and Northwestern,...

The Illinois volleyball team huddles up in a match against Michigan on Nov. 1, 2019. The volleyball team was one of the many Illinois programs to have players sign National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.

Illinois athletics receives National Letters of Intent from dozens of athletes on Signing Day

By Daily Illini Sports Staff November 11, 2020

The NCAA’s national signing period for high school athletes of all sports except football began on Nov. 11. Today, dozens of athletes from across the country signed their National Letter of Intent to...

Junior Amira Aduma competes in a relay race during the Women's Big Ten Indoor Championships on Feb. 24. 2018.

Illini of the season: Aduma, Howell excel amid young talent

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor April 7, 2020

The Illini women’s track team, with its roster stuffed with underclassmen, fought hard during the indoor season, securing a few event titles along the way. This wasn’t a dominant track and field squad,...

Senior Jonathan Wells competes in the long jump event during the Big Ten Men's Track and Field Championship on Feb. 29.

Illini of the season: All-American Wells continues success

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer April 4, 2020

MVP and Senior who will be missed: Jonathan Wells   Redshirt senior Jonathan Wells has accomplished quite a lot for the Illinois men's track and field team. The Fox Lake native is a six-time...

Load More Stories