Quinn finishes seventh in NCAA finals, earns All-American honors

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

June 11, 2019

The Illinois men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams wrapped up their spring campaign this week in Austin, Texas. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn finished seventh in the 100-meter dash Friday at the NCAA Championships, completing his final collegiate race with a time of 10.12 seconds. Tex...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Turk inducted into Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 12, 2019

Illinois head track and field coach Michael Turk was inducted into the Drake Relays Hall of Fame April 25. Turk has been coaching the Illini for eight seasons but recently became the head coach of the program in 2017, when both the men’s and women’s programs combined. Turk said he knew he would be getting induct...

Illinois collects relay titles at Drake

Illinois collects relay titles at Drake

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 29, 2019

The Illinois track and field team traveled to Des Moines, Iowa, for the Drake Relays this weekend. The men’s team finished third out of 17 teams, and the women’s team finished second out of 18 teams, as scoring was based on relays alone. The meet was no misnomer for Illinois, whose relay teams hav...

Illinois uses success at Auburn to prepare for Drake Relays

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 25, 2019

The Illinois track and field team had a strong showing in distance events at the Auburn War Eagle Invitational this past Friday and Saturday. In the men’s 5,000-meter run, the Illini had three top-five finishes in the race. Senior Dan Lathrop finished second with a time of 14:23.28, sophomore Irwin L...

Illini win seven events at home

Illini win seven events at home

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 15, 2019

Illini compete at Texas A&M, Champaign On April 6, the Illini track and field team competed at The Reveille at Texas A&M University. The women’s track and field team had solid performances, including sophomore distance runner Nicki Cast finishing third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and ...

Illini continue outdoor season in California, Mississippi

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 2, 2019

The Illini track and field teams continued their strong outdoor start across the country Friday in Stanford, California, and Saturday at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi. The women’s and men’s 4x100-meter relay teams finished in first at Mississippi with times of 45.14 secon...

Track and field teams make outdoor debut at SIU

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 27, 2019

The Illinois men’s track and field team competed at Southern Illinois University Friday and Saturday to begin the outdoor track season. Senior sprinter Devin Quinn and the distance medley relay team competed in the NCAA Indoor Championship March 8-9, while the rest of the team saw their indoor se...

Teams head to compete on big stage

Teams head to  compete on big stage

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 21, 2019

The Illinois men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at Arkansas and Iowa State this past weekend. The distance group, throwers and women’s pole vaulters went to Ames, Iowa, while the sprints groups, middle distance groups and remaining field events competed at Arkansas. Women’s trac...

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

Men’s and women’s track and field recap

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 29, 2019

Men’s track and field: The No. 20-ranked Illinois men’s track and field team saw several personal bests in individual events during the team’s second and final home indoor meet, the Illini Invitational, on Saturday. Sophomore sprinter Jason Shannon set personal records in the 60-meter dash and th...

Multiple Illini athletes break personal records

January 23, 2019

Men's track and field: The Illinois men’s track and field team traveled to Iowa City this weekend to compete at the University of Iowa. The Illini finished in fifth place as a team, behind Iowa and Minnesota, but ahead of Purdue and Wisconsin. The Illini built off last week’s performance at the Illini ...

Men’s, women’s teams prepare for upcoming season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

January 17, 2019

Men’s track and field The Illinois men’s track and field team finished first out of five schools to start its season at the Illini Open, in Champaign, on Saturday. Last season, the Illini graduated David Kendziera, who won a silver medal in the 60-meter hurdles at the Big Ten Championships in 20...

Next Page »