Best of CU | Best Place to Go on a Walk with Your Mom: University of Illinois Arboretum

Lucas Sun
Aerial view of the University of Illinois Arboretum and Japan House, located along South Lincoln Avenue in Champaign.

With Moms Weekend on the horizon, planning for where to take one’s mother could be at the forefront of one’s mind. Most students have been there: Mom wants to spend time outside and, believe it or not, doesn’t want to spend hours holed away in a library watching you study for exams. 

Beyond the South Quad is the University of Illinois Arboretum. Known here as a living laboratory for plant research and teaching, Best of CU has renamed the Arboretum as the Best Place to Go on a Walk with Your Mom. 

The Arboretum is home to a variety of flora and fauna a mom can point to and ask questions the mere student doesn’t know the answers to. Consider strolling through the Idea Garden, where your mom can sign the guestbook. 

Wander around the pond, strategically avoiding the semi-hostile geese and keeping an ear out for the American bullfrog. Perhaps take a moment to lift a rock in the oak grove and show your mom what might be living under it. Just because you’re taking her for a nice walk doesn’t mean you can’t scare her with a spider or two.

Of course, don’t forget the pride of the Arboretum: the Sen Cherry Tree Allée tucked away in Japan House. Consider stopping by an event at Japan House before roaming outside to appreciate the cherry blossoms, which bloom in late March to early April.