Best of CU | Best Thrift Store: Twice is Nice

Isaac Pinkus
Shoppers browse the wide variety of items in the Twice is Nice thrift store located at 607 W. Elm St. on March 2.

Located inside a house in the historic West Urbana neighborhood just off campus, Twice is Nice is volunteer-run by the First Presbyterian Church of Urbana.

First opened in 2008, the store’s goal is to provide an affordable and sustainable source of material goods for locals and students alike. 

Fifty percent of all proceeds go to restoring the home, originally built in 1901 by architect and Urbana native Joseph Royer. The other 50% goes directly to community service organizations in Champaign-Urbana, such as the Eastern Illinois Foodbank and Don Moyer Boys & Girls Club. 

The thrift store offers a warm welcoming atmosphere with prices untouched by inflation and a wide variety of vintage clothes, shoes, books, decor and more. 

Twice is Nice is a cash-only establishment and is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. It also accepts donations during these hours.

Whether you’re looking for a charming trinket or a cozy woolen jacket, Twice is Nice is the perfect place to go on an adventure with friends.