2022 Midterm Elections: Live updates prior to poll close

Campaign+signs+placed+in+front+of+the+Illini+Union+on+Nov.+3.+

Jacob Slabosz

Campaign signs placed in front of the Illini Union on Nov. 3.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

For the midterms this year in Champaign County, here’s a breakdown of the candidates up for election. Additionally, there’s several voting locations on campus.

Tuesday, 7 p.m.

Polls have now closed. Those who are still in line are advised to remain in line.

Tuesday, 6 p.m. 

Polls are preparing to close in an hour. Many voters still remain in lines.

Tuesday, 5:30 p.m.

With groups of students and Champaign residents in line, the lines started to get long around noon. The Illini Union opened up its voting polls for early voting on Oct. 19. 

Tuesday, 4:15 p.m.

Any voter in line at a polling place by 7 p.m., when the polls close, “will be processed regardless of how long it takes to move through the line,” according to a press release sent by the Champaign County clerk’s office.

All polling locations are universal sites, meaning any eligible voter can vote at ANY polling location for this election, said Angela Patton, the chief deputy clerk, in a press release. Anyone who is not registered can bring a photo ID and a piece of mail with their current address and they will be able to register and vote at any site as well.”

Tuesday, 3:30 p.m. 

First-time voters share their experiences at the polls.

Champaign County voters will be deciding on the second-ever Champaign County executive this midterm election. Democrat Steve Summers and Republican Ted Myhre are the only candidates for county executive.

Tuesday, 2:30 p.m.

According to Matt Dietrich, spokesperson for the Illinois State Board of Elections, he received notice at around 1:15 p.m. that technical issues have been rectified and that Champaign County is probably going to seek out a court order to keep the affected polling places open later to “accommodate any voters who have been inconvenienced.”

Tuesday, 2 p.m.

Some polling places are reportedly telling voters to go to other places to vote. Voters who went to the polling site at the ARC were asked to head over to the Siebel Center for Design instead. 

Tuesday, 1:00 p.m. 

At around 11 a.m. Angela Patton, the Chief Deputy Clerk of the Champaign County clerk’s office sent out a press release, which said these problems were “due to cyber-attacks on the network and servers.”